Page 355 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2553053453513523533543553563573583593654054558551355 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 75153
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    John Wayne also is endemic of a phenomenon we see all too often. Kirk Douglas was very liberal and was able to get along with Wayne fine when they worked together as long as they stayed away from politics. Apparently, according to Kirk, Wayne was the sort who would never be discourteous to someone who was black in person. He'd be the sort that would sit and eat with him, shoot the breeze with him and so on. He was the sort who would probably think he was not racist because he had black friends. But, on a systemic level, he was a total racist and that is a very common thing. He was the guy who judged someone he knew personally on his merits but he would have all sorts of racist assumptions about black people in general.
    The H.P. Lovecraft of pretend cowboys.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I don't know why he's so against masks and other countermeasures... Oh, wait, he's a moron.

Ah, so his new profile picture for the update! A perfect choice.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah that will never happen because white people can't tell the difference between the "good" Asians and the evil commies.
    It already exists. For years South Korea and Japan willingly choose to pay for a US military presence. Trump threatens to destablize that relationship because he feels they should pay their own way, and develop their own military resources.

Obama was going to expand that umbrella under the trans pacific partnership and Trump killed it. Even Vietnam wants closer ties with the United States, no one wants an autocratic bully breathing down your neck.

because white people can't tell the difference between the "good" Asians and the evil commies.
    PS, please dial down your racism, it's disgusting. I live in a fully integrated multicultural city, and while there are many racists and bigots out there. The majority of us live, work and hang out together happily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    It already exists. For years South Korea and Japan willingly choose to pay for a US military presence. Trump threatens to destablize that relationship because he feels they should pay their own way, and develop their own military resources.

Obama was going to expand that umbrella under the trans pacific partnership and Trump killed it. Even Vietnam wants closer ties with the United States, no one wants an autocratic bully breathing down your neck.

PS, please dial down your racism, it's disgusting. I live in a fully integrated multicultural city, and while there are many racists and bigots out there. The majority of us live, work and hang out together happily.
    It's not racism, it's just a statement of fact. Many of the cultural cues that people from different regions in Asia use to distinguish themselves from each other will fly completely over the heads of most Westerners, even those who have lived in the region for a long time. So as long as this hostility toward China continues, pretty much anyone who looks even remotely Asian will be suspected of being a communist spy and subject to harassment and abuse. There are plenty of stories of that happening already as the anti-China rhetoric has ramped up during the coronavirus, and it's telling that most of the victims of these attacks have not been from mainland China. Also, I do find it a bit troubling that you seem to be completely uninformed about how all of these places in East Asia came to be Westernized in the first place, or that you think it'd be a good idea to establish "protectorates" all over the region as if there's no troubling history when words like that get thrown around.

Parties, not protests, are fueling the spike in COVID-19.

Black Lives Matter protests did not cause an uptick in covid-19 cases.

More people were staying at home during the protests more than any other time during the pandemic so far.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-01-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

More people were staying at home during the protests more than any other time during the pandemic so far.
    So maybe making older people afraid to go out may have saved their lives.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

It's not racism, it's just a statement of fact. Many of the cultural cues that people from different regions in Asia use to distinguish themselves from each other will fly completely over the heads of most Westerners, even those who have lived in the region for a long time. So as long as this hostility toward China continues, pretty much anyone who looks even remotely Asian will be suspected of being a communist spy and subject to harassment and abuse. There are plenty of stories of that happening already as the anti-China rhetoric has ramped up during the coronavirus, and it's telling that most of the victims of these attacks have not been from mainland China. Also, I do find it a bit troubling that you seem to be completely uninformed about how all of these places in East Asia came to be Westernized in the first place, or that you think it'd be a good idea to establish "protectorates" all over the region as if there's no troubling history when words like that get thrown around.
    It is racist, because you are using a wide brush to paint the behavior of an entire people based on their skin colour. If I were to say to you, it will never happen because Asians are only interested in buying up our property and enriching themselves back home, it would be a racist statement, even if I could produce evidence to support the claim, because I am using a wide brush. Yes, there will be increased attacks on Asians by white bigots and racists, because racism is humanities great bane, think about how rival indigenous tribes treated each other over a thousand years ago, and it's not hard to conceive that it will take another 4 to 5 hundreds years to overcome racism if we don't nuke and enslave each other first.

I am quite informed on how East Asian countries adopted their own form of westernization, including China, which has tragically adopted a Marxist one, despite their capitalist engine aiding them in becoming "rich and glorious." I'm also aware of the "Asian miracle" which saw far east countries become some of the richest in the world under the protection of the United States umbrella.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've heard more than one governor, including Ron DeSantis blame young people out and about and partying as a cause for the recent spike in virus cases.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Oklahoma Is Seeing 100% Positive Test Rate For COVID-19 Following Trump’s Tulsa Rally

“Yesterday in Oklahoma, they tested 352 people for the coronavirus, and every single test came back positive,” the MSNBC host said. “Today they tested another 178 people, and all those tests came back positive, too.”
    That is crazy scary.

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

The majority of protesters wore masks, the majority of party goers didn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    It is racist, because you are using a wide brush to paint the behavior of an entire people based on their skin colour. If I were to say to you, it will never happen because Asians are only interested in buying up our property and enriching themselves back home, it would be a racist statement, even if I could produce evidence to support the claim, because I am using a wide brush. Yes, there will be increased attacks on Asians by white bigots and racists, because racism is humanities great bane, think about how rival indigenous tribes treated each other over a thousand years ago, and it's not hard to conceive that it will take another 4 to 5 hundreds years to overcome racism if we don't nuke and enslave each other first.

I am quite informed on how East Asian countries adopted their own form of westernization, including China, which has tragically adopted a Marxist one, despite their capitalist engine aiding them in becoming "rich and glorious." I'm also aware of the "Asian miracle" which saw far east countries become some of the richest in the world under the protection of the United States umbrella.
    If the worst thing you can accuse Asian people of doing is buying up property then I don't think anyone would mind that stereotyping, not to mention that, last I checked, being a capitalist country and those properties don't belong to a collective "us" anyway. And I do love how you admit that racism is the greatest problem that humanity faces, but then on the other hand claim that superior Western culture is solely responsible for all of the successes of Asian countries. Though I would like you to further enlighten me about how Japan and Korea welcomed American soldiers into their countries peacefully and voluntarily, and how our relationship with these countries is totally based in mutual respect and trust.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 07-01-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, DeSantis is a Republican, therefore he's a Trump bootlicker, especially since it looks like Jacksonville might end up hosting the RNC, bringing thousands of people into the petri dish called Florida. Come for Orange Menace, stay for the COVID.

By the by, does that clown know how to wear a mask?
    Not just looking like, from what I've read everything is already set-up for the RNC here. The only real solace is the planned protest against it I suppose.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

The first half of the election year was kind of brutal on Trump's approval rating.

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Not just looking like, from what I've read everything is already set-up for the RNC here. The only real solace is the planned protest against it I suppose.
    I'm just waiting to see how they react to having to wear masks. They are vehement in their desire to not wearing them as a "sign" or political tool. And trump has publicly refused himself. And adamantly stated that people are wearing them in disapproval of him personally". If they suddenly all comply at the rally what does that say to all this useless opposition and anger at following any social distancing and mask wearing ordinances?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, DeSantis is a Republican, therefore he's a Trump bootlicker, especially since it looks like Jacksonville might end up hosting the RNC, bringing thousands of people into the petri dish called Florida. Come for Orange Menace, stay for the COVID.

By the by, does that clown know how to wear a mask?
    He probably thinks a mask is that second face he puts on in public in order to convince people he actually cares about them.
    Dark does not mean deep.