View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman writer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Millar

2 1.55%
  • Jim Starlin

3 2.33%
  • Bob Kane/Bill Finger

3 2.33%
  • Judd Winick

0 0%
  • Ed Brubaker

3 2.33%
  • Gerry Conway

2 1.55%
  • Paul Dini

13 10.08%
  • Chuck Dixon

14 10.85%
  • Gardner Fox

0 0%
  • Peter Tomasi

3 2.33%
  • Jeph Leob

2 1.55%
  • Grant Morrison

44 34.11%
  • Scott Snyder

4 3.10%
  • Dennis O'neil

22 17.05%
  • Other

14 10.85%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't read The Dark Knight Strikes Again or any of his recent work, where does Frank Miller state that about suicide? Could I be forgetting something from TDKR, Year One or AllStarBatmanandRobin?

The things I remember about War of Jokes and Riddles are much more than just what you describe. There is the whole Bruce and Selina conversation, the Kite Man story and the final confrontation full of twists and turns.

And what older story had Thomas Wayne tell his son not to become Batman and find happiness?
    Its from YEAR ONE. Right before a bat crashes through the window. King just made it happen earlier.

That take on Kite-Man was too dark for me. There's enough tragedy in the Batbooks already.

Flashpoint. Geoff Johns did it first. The Button is a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Its from YEAR ONE. Right before a bat crashes through the window. King just made it happen earlier.
    No it isn't. I went back and reread it, and it's nothing like this. Bruce has just come from a fight and is bleeding. He feels useless and weak, he doesn't know how to make criminals fear him. He asks a statue of his father to tell him how he can make criminals fear him, and says he'd rather die than have to wait any longer for the answer. He's not saying he actually wants to die, and he didn't slit his own wrist, he's just saying he needs to understand how become something more powerful. It has nothing to do with suicide.

That take on Kite-Man was too dark for me. There's enough tragedy in the Batbooks already.
    Fair enough. I liked the story but I can understand why you don't want that take. And the Harley Quinn Show proves that it's still possible to make Kite Man compelling without that tragedy. It's just interesting that his whole tragedy and even his reaction to this event and eventual alliance with Batman is completely artifically planned by the Riddler. Plus taking something so sad but innocent about a child and making it a gimmick is really unique.

Flashpoint. Geoff Johns did it first. The Button is a sequel.
    The only thing that happens in Flashpoint is that Barry gives Bruce a letter from Thomas, but we don't get to read the full letter and it definitely wasn't supposed to tell Bruce not to be Batman. It was all Tom King.

Voted for Paul Dini.

Honorable mentions: Dennis O'Neil, Steve Englehart, Chuck Dixon, Len Wein, Grant Morrison, Alan Grant, Doug Monech, Greg Rucka,

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    No it isn't. I went back and reread it, and it's nothing like this. Bruce has just come from a fight and is bleeding. He feels useless and weak, he doesn't know how to make criminals fear him. He asks a statue of his father to tell him how he can make criminals fear him, and says he'd rather die than have to wait any longer for the answer. He's not saying he actually wants to die, and he didn't slit his own wrist, he's just saying he needs to understand how become something more powerful. It has nothing to do with suicide.

Fair enough. I liked the story but I can understand why you don't want that take. And the Harley Quinn Show proves that it's still possible to make Kite Man compelling without that tragedy. It's just interesting that his whole tragedy and even his reaction to this event and eventual alliance with Batman is completely artifically planned by the Riddler. Plus taking something so sad but innocent about a child and making it a gimmick is really unique.

The only thing that happens in Flashpoint is that Barry gives Bruce a letter from Thomas, but we don't get to read the full letter and it definitely wasn't supposed to tell Bruce not to be Batman. It was all Tom King.
    Then I have remembered it wrong for a long time. I would have sworn there's a scene of Bruce deciding to call Alfred for help or just bleeding out then and there because all the training amounted to nothing.

Could have been worse like King darkening Killer Moth instead of Kite-Man.

Another thing I got wrong and I will punish myself by rereading it

NOTE: Thread first started in November 2020 by Lightning63.
    ---------------------------------------------------

With 97 people having voted,
    * Grant Morrison = 38 votes
    * Dennis O'Neil = 13 votes
    * Chuck Dixon = 11 votes
    * "other" = 9 votes
    * Paul Dini = 8 votes

All other options currently have less than five votes each.

Incredible Member

Dini for me. His 'Tec is how I want 'Tec to be written.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

My favourites are;
    Greg Rucka
    Alan Grant
    Steve Engelhart
    Tim King

I think Devin K Grayson's run is criminally underrated, too.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    My favourites are;
    Greg Rucka
    Alan Grant
    Steve Engelhart
    Tim King
    Typos can be interesting . . .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Typos can be interesting . . .
    Um... he wrote an uncredited back-up in Batman #163. Defined a generation. 10/10. Amazing stuff! *eyes dart side to side in desperate hope of getting away with blatant lie*
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Retired

Hurray for "Tom King," the man who created the Knight Watchman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hurray for "Tom King," the man who created the Knight Watchman!

For anybody who doesn't get the joke, that character was actually created back in the early 1990s and was part of the Big Bang Comics Line.
    (And "Tom King" as opposed to "Bob Kane" as Batman's creator.)

Last edited by MajorHoy; 09-11-2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: replaced currently missing image

NOTE: Thread first started in November 2020 by Lightning63.
    ---------------------------------------------------

With 105 people having voted,
    * Grant Morrison = 41 votes
    * Dennis O'Neil = 15 votes
    * Chuck Dixon = 11 votes
    * "other" = 11 votes
    * Paul Dini = 9 votes

All other options currently still have less than five votes each.

Definitely, my choice would be...

Dini & Timm

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Alan Grant, and Doug Moench not being listed, yet Loeb is is a travesty.

I really liked Chuck Dixon...on other Bat related books. His Batman/Tec run was pretty pedestrian, compared to his Nightwing, Catwoman, BoP, and Robin work.
    I voted for the incomparable Chick Dixen. He fleshed out the Batfamily to an as yet unsurpassed degree highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each member. During his run, none of the many members were superfluous and each had their own flavor and vibe. He is very underappreciated
    In agreement with the both of you in regards to Chuck Dixon. Personally though, my preference will always be the Chuck Dixon run on...

Nightwing

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-12-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Fantastic Member

Best bat run of the last decade belongs to James Tynion and his Rise of the Batmen saga from rebirth in Detective Comics, sucked it had to end eary cause DC didnt want it being a team book anymore. did his Ra's Al Ghul plotline ever get resolved anywhere?
    havent read enough pre-new 52 to pick before that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Grant Morrison. By far. Love his Batman run.

Honourable mentions to Dennis O'Neill, Paul Dini and Scott Snyder.
    1. Morrison.
    2. Dini.
    3. O'Neil.
    4. Snyder.

For the great Frank Miller's done in Year One and TDKR, he's done some really bad in TDKSA and ASBAR.