Page 162 of 222 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If Young Justice is indeed setting up Emerald Twilight for future seasons, I'm sure it will be a very different story. Given how little play the GL characters have received on this show, I don't even know how it would play out. Aside from the brief moments with Guy being Guy a few episodes ago, I think the Hal and John have gotten maybe one or two lines in total.
    John's gotten a few lines. I think Hal's only line has been in-sync with John when they vehemently said no to Guy joining the League.
    It's possible that the GL characters were so underutilized in the early seasons because it was running concurrently with GLTAS, so those characters were somewhat off-limits. Hopefully, if they do end up doing a riff on Emerald Twilight, they need to start laying the groundwork for it, because, thus far, the GL characters have been non-entities. The fall of Hal Jordan only works if viewers genuinely care about the character first and that simply hasn't been done on Young Justice.
    I think it also didn't help that the GL's don't really have a hugely recognizable teen or young adult rep like the other big franchises do. The closest thing they had was Kyle but they set the show way before he would've shown up and the newer ones are too new.
    Now, if they were to wrangle either Nathan Fillion or Josh Keaton for Hal, who most geek audiences are already familiar with, that would certainly help a lot, but they'd still need to do some work establishing who Hal Jordan is first if they want his heel turn to have any emotional resonance. This would also be a good opportunity to introduce Kyle (and possibly Simon & Jessica) into the show, who would fit in well with the core cast of younger heroes.
    I think Dee Bradley Baker voiced Hal for whatever line he had.

I think the older Hal is ultimately setting up Kyle more then it's setting up Emerald Twilight.
    Emerald Twilight has the potential to be a good story, particularly if it incorporates the Yellow Impurity angle to Parallax that Johns introduced. If Young Justice manages to pull it off, it could be a great way to give the GL mythos more of the spotlight. I was hoping that the Reign of the Supermen movie would do something with this, but it fumbled the ball there.
    I wouldn't say it fumbled the ball given it didn't even address it. It made sense to keep things Superman-centric in that respect in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the older Hal is ultimately setting up Kyle more then it's setting up Emerald Twilight.
    Unless they're setting up for Jessica.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think swapping out Kyle for Jessica in a Emerald Twilight-type storyline would work just fine, but they'd end up pissing off a lot of Kyle fans in the process.

I think swapping out Kyle for Jessica in a Emerald Twilight-type storyline would work just fine, but they'd end up pissing off a lot of Kyle fans in the process.
    It's the obvious reply you totally set us up for, but I'll bite:
    -- Yes, but Hal was totally skipped over to introduce Kyle which ended up keeping him out of the entire DCAU! (cameo aside, until the New52) Any other high profile character at least got to be part of the team or the story in some way, but somehow, because there were other earth Green Lanterns around, Hal couldn't even appear.

[edited for clarity]
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-23-2019 at 10:00 AM.

-- Yes, but Hal was totally skipped over to introduce Kyle which ended up keeping him out of the entire DCAU! (cameo aside, until the New52) Any other high profile character at least got to be part of the team or the story in some way, but somehow, because there were other earth Green Lanterns around, Hal couldn't even appear.
    I'm sorry, are you replying to me here?

I mean, they could, but I'd think they'd follow the actual canon progression of the Earth GL's like they have for other DC mythos' for the most part.

I'm sorry, are you replying to me here?
    Sorry - yes. Specifically the part about them maybe using "ET" to set up Jessica and skipping over Kyle and Kyle fans being upset by that.

[edited for clarity]
    Didn't they want to have Hal in STAS, but because Hal was dead/Kyle was the GL in comics the writers or whoever were told they couldn't and technically ended up making a worse offense imo by giving Hal's backstory to Kyle (which as a Hal, Kyle, and a Jess fan, I hope they don't do in YJ)? And then in JL and JLU, since things changed it was Timm's choice to use John?

I don't mind them introducing Jess in YJ before Kyle. Arowette debuted after Connor Hawke I believe in the comics and he hasn't been seen in YJ. I like seeing her with Hal and Guy. Just, if her backstory is changed, make it new, don't take another character's.

That Kyle was more of an amalgam - he had brown hair like Hal, was given the ring by Abin Sur and fought Sinestro but he was an artist like Kyle and more the everyman that Kyle represented as opposed to having Hal's personality..

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Didn't they want to have Hal in STAS, but because Hal was dead/Kyle was the GL in comics the writers or whoever were told they couldn't and technically ended up making a worse offense imo by giving Hal's backstory to Kyle (which as a Hal, Kyle, and a Jess fan, I hope they don't do in YJ)? And then in JL and JLU, since things changed it was Timm's choice to use John?

I don't mind them introducing Jess in YJ before Kyle. Arowette debuted after Connor Hawke I believe in the comics and he hasn't been seen in YJ. I like seeing her with Hal and Guy. Just, if her backstory is changed, make it new, don't take another character's.
    I don't remember if they were planning on using Hal in STAS. It wouldn't be the first time they went with the current incarnation of a character to fulfill a role/identity in a show before.

I think Hal was on one of the pitches for Justice League at the time, or maybe it was just Kyle.

I'm 90% sure they went with John eventually to add more diversity to the League.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't remember if they were planning on using Hal in STAS. It wouldn't be the first time they went with the current incarnation of a character to fulfill a role/identity in a show before.

I think Hal was on one of the pitches for Justice League at the time, or maybe it was just Kyle.

I'm 90% sure they went with John eventually to add more diversity to the League.
    As far as I've read and heard over the years, Hal was off-limits for STAS because DC Editorial was still trying to maintain its strict "Kyle only" policy. As a result, they basically smooshed Hal and Kyle together. When the Justice League cartoon rolled around, they dumped the Kyle/Hal hybrid in favor of John because they wanted another strong-willed veteran hero to knock heads with the rest of the League, in addition to wanting more ethnic diversity on the team.

This decision, along with the arrival of Dan Didio as Mike Carlin's replacement, finally brought an end to the "Kyle only" idict that DC Editorial had been enforcing (it probably helped that Kyle's sales were declining and Hal's appearances as GL were boosting sales whenever they occurred). Once the one-two punch of New Frontier and GL Rebirth restored Hal to his former prominence as the premier GL, the DCAU was already winding down, which is why introducing Hal would have been a bit odd.

As far as I've read and heard over the years, Hal was off-limits for STAS because DC Editorial was still trying to maintain its strict "Kyle only" policy. As a result, they basically smooshed Hal and Kyle together. When the Justice League cartoon rolled around, they dumped the Kyle/Hal hybrid in favor of John because they wanted another strong-willed veteran hero to knock heads with the rest of the League, in addition to wanting more ethnic diversity on the team.

This decision, along with the arrival of Dan Didio as Mike Carlin's replacement, finally brought an end to the "Kyle only" idict that DC Editorial had been enforcing (it probably helped that Kyle's sales were declining and Hal's appearances as GL were boosting sales whenever they occurred). Once the one-two punch of New Frontier and GL Rebirth restored Hal to his former prominence as the premier GL, the DCAU was already winding down, which is why introducing Hal would have been a bit odd.

This is pretty much what happened in Kingdom Come too. They wanted to use Hal, but he was off limits since he was dead... so they used Alan instead... but never used his name... set up as a JLA member... Set up his space station as 'new Oa'... gave him cufflinks that were Hal's GL symbol... Focus on protecting earth from alien threats...

There was a lot of debate at the time over which GL that was... because everything about him screamed 'Hal', but there was one hand holding moment with Jade that that implied Alan. Until they released the notes that confirmed it was Alan, nothing in the actual story ever denied it was Hal.

One more loophole that writers who wanted to work with Hal had to find because of editorial mandate :P

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Well...at least Hal was effective at cleaning up the meteors?