Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    If the rumors are true, and that's a big IF, we have at least a year before this, probably with Metal 2 opening the way for 5G. ANd they have clearly been working on it for some time already, possibly at least a year, a year and a half I think.

I also think that DC knows that their readership is extremely change-adverse, the New Age of Heroes line proved that most readers also don't even bother picking a #1 if it isn't a household name on the cover. All of this makes me think that DC knows that the direct market won't follow them on this move, but that they have washed their hands with it. It'll sell digitally, if the stories are good beyond the initial gimmick. If they aim at trade/graphic novel format only for those stories, they'll also expand their readership base.

And I think that they know they can do that and still assuage the direct market by publishing series with the mainstays. I just hope that come hell and high waters, they'll stick to the 5G long enough for it to produce fans able to sustain it, instead of caving it at the first screams from the direct market crowd.
    Good for the company, if it works for them. Not good for me, but I openly acknowledge being change-resistant and know that what's good for DC, or for the comic market in general, is not what's good for me.

So the Elseworld-like titles like Black Label will have more recognizable versions of the characters than the main books will?

If the rumors are true, and that's a big IF, we have at least a year before this, probably with Metal 2 opening the way for 5G. ANd they have clearly been working on it for some time already, possibly at least a year, a year and a half I think.

I also think that DC knows that their readership is extremely change-adverse, the New Age of Heroes line proved that most readers also don't even bother picking a #1 if it isn't a household name on the cover. All of this makes me think that DC knows that the direct market won't follow them on this move, but that they have washed their hands with it. It'll sell digitally, if the stories are good beyond the initial gimmick. If they aim at trade/graphic novel format only for those stories, they'll also expand their readership base.

And I think that they know they can do that and still assuage the direct market by publishing series with the mainstays. I just hope that come hell and high waters, they'll stick to the 5G long enough for it to produce fans able to sustain it, instead of caving it at the first screams from the direct market crowd.
    Pretty much my view. If DC is gonna do it, they better make sure it's good and they better stick to their guns or it'll be another failure that could cost them.

So we're going to totally forget they already did this before, right?

th.jpg

I also have to laugh about all the people thinking this is permanent or that "it will fail!" as if this wasn't anything other than a temporary thing for a story. The old guard will come back because they ALWAYS come back, and DC gets those boosted sales numbers both with the comic they get replaced in and the one they come back in. Your comics will be back to normal in six months to a year, tops.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Batman - Deathstroke
    Superman - Metallo
    Wonder Woman - Knockout
    Flash - Reverse Flash
    Green Lantern - Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

I also have to laugh about all the people thinking this is permanent or that "it will fail!" as if this wasn't anything other than a temporary thing for a story. The old guard will come back because they ALWAYS come back, and DC gets those boosted sales numbers both with the comic they get replaced in and the one they come back in. Your comics will be back to normal in six months to a year, tops.
    Except pretty much everyone upset knows and acknowledges that there's no way its permanent. Just because a bad idea isn't permanent doesn't mean it shouldn't piss people off. And there's lots of fans tired of the waiting game DC makes them play with their dumb stunts. Yeah I know the main guys will be back in a year or two. But the point is that we shouldn't have to wait a year or two for DC to cleanup a stupid mess that didn't need to be made. And when people predict it will fail, the context is in predicting early and fast drops that will make it difficult to sustain the movement for whatever amount of time they're planning.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    DC confuses me.
    Me too. It's like they fill a hat with the worst ideas and just keep picking randomly from the hat and whoever picks out the most batshit nonsensical idea gets a bonus.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Superman: Jon Kent
    Batman: Luke Fox
    Wonder Woman: Donna Troy, Nubia, or Hippolyta Trevor
    Aquaman: Orm.
    Flash: Jesse Quick.
    Martian Manhunter: M'Gann M'orrz
    Green Lantern: Dinah Lance.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Hey, if DC's plan is to forego the direct market and the current fan base, and bank everything on their content being that good coupled with digital distribution, more power to them! For their sake I hope it works out, because if they go all-in on it and it fails, it won't be as simple as bringing Clark or Bruce or Diana back, or as firing Didio and/or Lee. We're talking the end of DC as a comic book company and being used strictly as IPs for Warner Media. Not to mention the impact it'll have on the rest of the industry, as the remaining LCSs will undoubtedly close down which in turn will force Marvel & the remaining publishers to go digital or belly-up.

I'm by no means a direct market advocate, mind you. I just think there are plenty of stories to be told with Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, and Diana Prince. I hope Didio is more confident in this initiative than he was with New 52, DCYou, Rebirth, and whatever is going on now. Again, I'm not reading a Superman that isn't Clark Kent so I'll definitely be out.

Yeah, it probably won't be permanent, but even if it lasts one year it's already too bad. And if they do it, they'll probably try to make it last as much as possible, unfortunately. It would be best if they replaced the characters steadily, one at a time, over the course of a decade or so, with it then being permanent.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

As long as they keep characters/mythos from 1G to 4G running parallel in constant publication and with all due diligence and dignity, I'll agree to support their 5G initiative. Fair deal?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

They probably shouldn't replace the characters at all. It isn't necessary whatsoever. Can you imagine someone coming in to be the new Popeye or the new Sonic the Hedgehog? It's like...why? DC's probably only doing it to get the headline of having a black Batman. What actually is bothersome to me is, as someone who actually champions diversity, I so often see people going around like this (usually white people, no less) and doing stupid stuff with it to intentionally annoy and outrage people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    As long as they keep characters/mythos from 1G to 4G running parallel in constant publication and with all due diligence and dignity, I'll agree to support their 5G initiative. Fair deal?

This is where I'm at.

I would LOVE a pull list that included a JSA set in the 40's/50's, Superman(Clark) Batman (Bruce) and WW (Diana) set in the recent past, and
    a few new books set in the near future (with new iterations). But a line built 100% on newbies in the iconic roles could be pretty problematic.

If you walk the current readership and the idea fails, what are you left with? Pretty risky proposition.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Not enough books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    So we're going to totally forget they already did this before, right?

You know that. I know that. TRUE comic book fans know that.
    What Korath is talking about and I have bought up too-what is DC going to do when the eventual backlash shows up. Lead by folks who only see WHO is on the cover and store owners who have more than ONCE called for the heads of Editor in Chiefs. And this is NOT counting Comicsgate.

Does Dc stand firm or pander like they normally do.

We're talking the end of DC as a comic book company and being used strictly as IPs for Warner Media.
    Last time I check DC was more then Clark, Diana & Bruce. They have more than Hal, Arthur, Barry, Ollie & Shazam. They have more than Supergirl, Harley, Deathstroke, Joker, Catwoman & Cyborg. They have more than Teen Titans, Justice League, Suicide Squad & Outsiders. They have MILLIONS of properties.

DC is a MESS because they forgot about that. Because they chose to PANDER at the expense of others.

It should never be a Hal is all you get despite 6 other lanterns. It should be how can we make 7 work like Spider-Man does.