View Poll Results: Should the Michelle Jones character be brought into Marvel Comics?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supporting character for Peter Parker

11 24.44%
  • Supporting character for Miles Morales

18 40.00%
  • Supporting character for Ben Reilly

8 17.78%
  • Supporting character for Gwen Stacy

8 17.78%
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Anna Watson is Aunt May's best friend. She shows up whenever they want to show Aunt May having a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Anna Watson is Aunt May's best friend. She shows up whenever they want to show Aunt May having a normal life.
    Yeah anna watson shows up so rarely most people wouldn't even have a firm opinion of her as a character.

Isn't¨Michelle Jones¨ basically just MCU Mary Jane anyways? Seems redundant to have two MJ´s running around imo. I'd honestly just not have her in the comics at all, lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Isn't¨Michelle Jones¨ basically just MCU Mary Jane anyways? Seems redundant to have two MJ´s running around imo. I'd honestly just not have her in the comics at all, lol
    There are a few options. 1: Age her so she will be Peter’s age. As a fan of the redhead, I do not like that. 2: Have her date Miles. 3: Remove her completely. 4: Find a different spot for her like Cindy Moon. Number 4 makes the most sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    There are a few options. 1: Age her so she will be Peter’s age. As a fan of the redhead, I do not like that. 2: Have her date Miles. 3: Remove her completely. 4: Find a different spot for her like Cindy Moon. Number 4 makes the most sense.
    How about none of these and we stop pretending that Michelle Jones is supposed to be the MCU's Mary Jane?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah anna watson shows up so rarely most people wouldn't even have a firm opinion of her as a character.
    Unless it's the version from the 90's animated series...who was such a shrew you wonder why May even continues to befriend her.

Also...HAVE there been any characters in Spider-Man that have been added to comics due to influence from any adaptations? MCU MJ is clearly not a Harley Quinn or even a Roxy Rocket really...

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Unless it's the version from the 90's animated series...who was such a shrew you wonder why May even continues to befriend her.

Also...HAVE there been any characters in Spider-Man that have been added to comics due to influence from any adaptations? MCU MJ is clearly not a Harley Quinn or even a Roxy Rocket really...
    Does Firestar count?

You would have to change the name, but other aspects of the character could work in Peter's world. She would be a bit older, although keep in mind that Zendaya is 25.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You would have to change the name, but other aspects of the character could work in Peter's world. She would be a bit older, although keep in mind that Zendaya is 25.
    And what purpose would she serve?

And what purpose would she serve?
    In the Spider-Man comics, she could be a love interest different from Mary Jane Watson, Gwen or Black Cat (presuming Peter & Mary Jane Watson break up.)

Or she could be a friend of Mary Jane's, a sarcastic artistic activist who tries to push Mary Jane to make an impact in ways she hadn't considered. It could be interesting to see Mary Jane being intentional about her work, making an independent film or raising awareness about the weird problems in the Marvel Universe (the crime boss mayor of New York City, the supervillain CEO of Roxxon, mutants forming their own nation, etc.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

In the Spider-Man comics, she could be a love interest different from Mary Jane Watson, Gwen or Black Cat (presuming Peter & Mary Jane Watson break up.)

Or she could be a friend of Mary Jane's, a sarcastic artistic activist who tries to push Mary Jane to make an impact in ways she hadn't considered. It could be interesting to see Mary Jane being intentional about her work, making an independent film or raising awareness about the weird problems in the Marvel Universe (the crime boss mayor of New York City, the supervillain CEO of Roxxon, mutants forming their own nation, etc.)
    A second love interest also called "MJ" is a hard sell. I also don't think being a supporting character of a supporting character is specifically a good spot for a "new" character.

I think Marvel wanted the casting of Zendaya as "MJ" to be a huge reveal for Homecoming. And if you want to disassociate her from the connotations of being "MJ", I think you need a bigger hook than what is being suggested.

A second love interest also called "MJ" is a hard sell. I also don't think being a supporting character of a supporting character is specifically a good spot for a "new" character.

I think Marvel wanted the casting of Zendaya as "MJ" to be a huge reveal for Homecoming. And if you want to disassociate her from the connotations of being "MJ", I think you need a bigger hook than what is being suggested.
    The main thing would be to have someone who looks and acts like Zendaya's MJ, regardless of what the name is. It could be Michelle. It could be Joan. It could be whatever.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The main thing would be to have someone who looks and acts like Zendaya's MJ, regardless of what the name is. It could be Michelle. It could be Joan. It could be whatever.
    How are people supposed to know who the character is supposed to be if they give her a completely different name like Joan?

How are people supposed to know who the character is supposed to be if they give her a completely different name like Joan?
    I think many readers figure out that a beautiful young woman who is biracial, conspiratorial and artistic is inspired by Zendaya's MJ. Word of mouth will get around.

But it really doesn't matter if they recognize the connection. The point is to have a supporting character who serves a particular role and to do new stories involving a dynamic that worked in the movies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think many readers figure out that a beautiful young woman who is biracial, conspiratorial and artistic is inspired by Zendaya's MJ. Word of mouth will get around.

But it really doesn't matter if they recognize the connection. The point is to have a supporting character who serves a particular role and to do new stories involving a dynamic that worked in the movies.
    Nobody would care if they tried to insert Zendaya's MJ into the comics. Nobody cares when they take characters created for the movies and shows and put them in the comics. We saw what happened to Coulson when they added him to the comics.

Her particular role is awkward first love, which is kind of hard to add to Spider-Man at this point outside of major retconning or a new continuity or a reboot.