Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Hey, it's better than my "why won't KSD remember the Scarlet Witch, not Jess, is Carol's oldest superhero friend??" obsession.

That one's pretty easily explained by Avengers 200 and Avengers Annual 10. Carol felt specifically hurt by Wanda, and then had her emotional attachment to her old memories wiped away. Jess Drew's first interaction with Carol was in Avengers Annual 10, after her mind was wiped (indeed, Jess was the one who saved Carol from drowning), so in some sense, she's the first person she had any emotional attachment to.

What I'd complain about is the complete lack of Jessica Jones in Carol's books. They had a strong friendship back in Alias, but then she was more or less replaced by Jessica Drew. Now, they rarely appear together and you'd hardly know they were friends beyond both knowing Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Moonstone was just cosplaying a bare-ass Carol less than five years ago.

I know, I know, there was a theme going on, but it does lend itself to the idea that she might still be a little bothered by Marvel.
    What's hilarious is that when Moonstone went with the old school Ms. Marvel costume, even she left out the midriff cutout thing.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Moonstone was just cosplaying a bare-ass Carol less than five years ago.

I know, I know, there was a theme going on, but it does lend itself to the idea that she might still be a little bothered by Marvel.
    I think since then, Karla's highest concern was demanding that her costume be fresh from the cleaners after (I think it was) Luke Cage recruited her for a Thunderbolts team. Carol's more or less been forgotten about in her mind.
    Last edited by Myetche; 06-22-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    I'm happy Kelly is leaving. Maybe Carol can be badass again. PLEASE GET STARLIN, MARVEL!
    lolol. that's never happening.

do you see many oldtimers getting books at NuMarvel?

And as for KSD, the writing was on the wall with her Image work taking off and the fact her husband pretty much severed all ties with Marvel, only a short time after being anointed an "architect". I'd love to read more about the fallout between Marvel and Fraction, but that will have to wait for the tell-all tome sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Park Slope Pixie; 06-22-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    lolol. that's never happening.

do you see many oldtimers getting books at NuMarvel?
    Speaking of which, instead of putting Claremont on another mediocre X-Men rehash, I wish they'd give him a team with all the badass non-mutant ladies he wrote in the Bronze Age: Carol Danvers, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Jessica Drew, and Black Widow. They can set it in the past or an alternate universe, have them all dressed like they were circa 1980, and there would be sexual subtext galore.

Say what you will about the guy, but he really was one of the few comic writers maybe ever who thought women were as interesting to write as men, and many of Marvel's heroines - including Carol - wouldn't be where they are today without him.
    Last edited by gurkle; 06-22-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    And as for KSD, the writing was on the wall with her Image work taking off and the fact her husband pretty much severed all ties with Marvel, only a short time after being anointed an "architect". I'd love to read more about the fallout between Marvel and Fraction, but that will have to wait for the tell-all tome sometime in the future.
    Marvel's much better than DC at avoiding negative publicity. Fraction left Fantastic Four and FF suddenly and both of his storylines were completed by other people. Then he left Inhumans before it even started. When those things happen at DC, the writers go public with their complaints and there's a lot of bad press. But Marvel manages to do these things while having the creator go on record saying he's OK with it.

BANNED

Speaking of which, instead of putting Claremont on another mediocre X-Men rehash, I wish they'd give him a team with all the badass non-mutant ladies he wrote in the Bronze Age: Carol Danvers, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Jessica Drew, and Black Widow. They can set it in the past or an alternate universe, have them all dressed like they were circa 1980, and there would be sexual subtext galore.

Say what you will about the guy, but he really was one of the few comic writers maybe ever who thought women were as interesting to write as men, and many of Marvel's heroines - including Carol - wouldn't be where they are today without him.
    Oh man, were there to be a comicbook series that told the UNTOLD TALES of 616 Carol Danvers, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Jessica Drew, and Black Widow set in the 616 Marvel Universe circa the entire 80's, then I would buy it.

I agree 100% that if not for Chris Claremont, many marvel heroine's would not be where they are today.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Oh man, were there to be a comicbook series that told the UNTOLD TALES of 616 Carol Danvers, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Jessica Drew, and Black Widow set in the 616 Marvel Universe circa the entire 80's, then I would buy it.

I agree 100% that if not for Chris Claremont, many marvel heroine's would not be where they are today.
    I think Claremont was the weakest writer on Spider-Woman, and I'm not fond of how rapey and somewhat dipsy his Ms Marvel run was. But... he has plenty of solid work elsewhere that does reflect well on how he'd do with a title featuring all those characters.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wonder if Carol finds it ironic that her successor basically has the same power as her original nemesis.
    That's not ironic. It's coincidental.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

While I appreciate all the effort KSD put into Captain Marvel (Carol) and by extension the Carol Corps I just found her storylines very boring and didn't have the umph I was hoping for. I still got the series to support Carol and I am very hopeful for the next writer to give Carol a great push and feature she deserves.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Speaking of which, instead of putting Claremont on another mediocre X-Men rehash, I wish they'd give him a team with all the badass non-mutant ladies he wrote in the Bronze Age: Carol Danvers, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Jessica Drew, and Black Widow. They can set it in the past or an alternate universe, have them all dressed like they were circa 1980, and there would be sexual subtext.

Great idea for a team book, and what a mix of personalities.

I've always thought Claremont liked writing women a bit more tbh. Wirting so many women as completely central to the story was radical at the time, and yet it reads completely naturally. 30 years later, lots of writers aren't even close to having his ease with diversity of all sorts.

Regarding KSD leaving Captain Marvel, I really did want to enjoy her take on the character; but I just can't seem to warm to her writing style. I don't know if it's just that her sense of humour doesn't gel with mine, or that I find the book a bit worthy, but I'm just not entertained. As a woman, I like to support female writers, but not at the price of buying a book I don't enjoy.
    "Self has no time for this."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Must EVERY post about Captain Marvel spiral into discontent about the lack of Spider Man, Darth??

I was referring to KSD's run on Avengers Assembled where she could have used Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, and The Black Widow together on a story arc which could had brought in a lot ASM readers to her stories as the heroines interaction with Peter would have reveal a side to their character that is rarely seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I was referring to KSD's run on Avengers Assembled where she could have used Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, and The Black Widow together on a story arc which could had brought in a lot ASM readers to her stories as the heroines interaction with Peter would have reveal a side to their character that is rarely seen.
    She made a lot of weird choices like that. Carol in space with almost no use of GotG, which would have pulled in sales, is another example of her being counter-intuitive...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    That one's pretty easily explained by Avengers 200 and Avengers Annual 10. Carol felt specifically hurt by Wanda, and then had her emotional attachment to her old memories wiped away. Jess Drew's first interaction with Carol was in Avengers Annual 10, after her mind was wiped (indeed, Jess was the one who saved Carol from drowning), so in some sense, she's the first person she had any emotional attachment to.

What I'd complain about is the complete lack of Jessica Jones in Carol's books. They had a strong friendship back in Alias, but then she was more or less replaced by Jessica Drew. Now, they rarely appear together and you'd hardly know they were friends beyond both knowing Luke Cage.
    In AvX#0 she still considered Wanda her best friend and brought her to avengers mansion thinking everyone got over her meltdown from HoM. So as far as I've seen since then they are best friends but KSD chose not to use that relationship but one can say in KSD first season of CM where carol mind was destroyed and regenerated in EWI cross over then you'd have something.

Marvel's much better than DC at avoiding negative publicity. Fraction left Fantastic Four and FF suddenly and both of his storylines were completed by other people. Then he left Inhumans before it even started. When those things happen at DC, the writers go public with their complaints and there's a lot of bad press. But Marvel manages to do these things while having the creator go on record saying he's OK with it.
    My uneducated guess is that he thought he'd have as much freedom as on Hawkeye, then came up against the wall of "We're trying to relaunch Inhumans as the next big thing, so here are a mountain of creative notes" and just decided, never mind, I'm finally making enough from my indie stuff to pay the rent. And then Fantastic Four was just collateral damage (as was Hawkeye, to a lesser extent—I know a lot of the delays have been art-related, but come on! We're at an issue every six months now).