Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The "White Knight" usually leans into the Silver/Bronze Age Superman most of the time from what I've seen.
    If we are equating the white knight version to the post-Crisis version, I'm sorry i just don't see what you see.

The main reason there are fandom divisions is due to him being perceived as not being like the pre-Crisis model enough. Of the two older versions, he skews more towards Silver/Bronze but without that versions complexities or innate weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If we are equating the white knight version to the post-Crisis version, I'm sorry i just don't see what you see.

The main reason there are fandom divisions is due to him being perceived as not being like the pre-Crisis model enough. Of the two older versions, he skews more towards Silver/Bronze but without that versions complexities or innate weirdness.
    I mean, they've re-introduced the most important aspects of the Silver Age to that Superman in my opinion (Krypto, Kara Zor-El Supergirl, diverse Krypton, traditional Brainiac, Luthor with his more mad scientist trappings, etc) and worked them into a modern context and that usually seems to work for most Superman adaptions.

I mean, they've re-introduced the most important aspects of the Silver Age to that Superman in my opinion (Krypto, Kara Zor-El Supergirl, diverse Krypton, traditional Brainiac, Luthor with his more mad scientist trappings, etc) and worked them into a modern context and that usually seems to work for most Superman adaptions.
    They were re-introduced, but IMO too late and don't really mesh well with the post-COIE setup. They were more awkwardly slapped back on to a version of Superman that wasn't designed to have them.

it works a little better with adaptations, but again it's mostly the post-Crisis template for the man himself (including characterization). . At his core, he's almost consistently missing the attributes of his Golden Age and Silver/Bronze age selves. power levels and sporadic uses of certain lore are shallow and only part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They were re-introduced, but IMO too late and don't really mesh well with the post-COIE setup. They were more awkwardly slapped back on to a version of Superman that wasn't designed to have them.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. Late Post-Crisis those elements worked perfectly well for me and they meshed better with Superman than some of the earlier attempts at bringing them back when DC was more strict about not using them (which is how we got Matrix Supergirl).

This isn't Spider-Man and attempting to try and make a Spider-Family happen.
    it works a little better with adaptations, but again it's mostly the post-Crisis template for the man himself (including characterization). . At his core, he's almost consistently missing the attributes of his Golden Age and Silver/Bronze age selves. power levels and sporadic uses of certain lore are shallow and only part of the problem.
    I think at his core Superman is still essentially the same character even if they emphasize it in different ways, but that's just me. But power levels and lore usage is the same for other properties in my opinion.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. Late Post-Crisis those elements worked perfectly well for me and they meshed better with Superman than some of the earlier attempts at bringing them back when DC was more strict about not using them (which is how we got Matrix Supergirl).

This isn't Spider-Man and attempting to try and make a Spider-Family happen.

I think at his core Superman is still essentially the same character even if they emphasize it in different ways, but that's just me. But power levels and lore usage is the same for other properties in my opinion.
    I agree that some of them worked better, like just bringing Kara back instead of beating around the bush. But at that point, it just muddled continuity further. It couldn't ever be the same mythos it was before Pre-COIE with all that history because there was a big reboot in between. it's why he's never had completely natural story progression beyond that point (if he ever really had it), it was always a mistake to dump that stuff out in the 80s and you could never put it back the same way if it wanted to be used again.

I think there are some characteristics across all versions, but what they emphasize makes it feel authentic/inauthentic depending on the reader. The stuff they've emphasized for the last couple decades just don't seem like the character to me. Most of his glory as an IP is grandfathered in at this point.

The rage that goes through me when I think about this never goes away haha. Any news?

It was basically as advertised: stuff on the CW show, and those radio show voiceovers. That was all that was advertised and that was all that was delivered. I had hoped maybe there might be some comic news but there really wasn't and that was pretty consistent with the whole event across the board. Comics are second fiddle now to other media on an official level. I'm not thrilled with this but we were trending that way for quite some time now. Comics just aren't as lucrative. We'll just get news on that the regular way, through sites like these. But again they didn't promise anything that they didn't do.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-14-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    The rage that goes through me when I think about this never goes away haha. Any news?
    Again, what's to be rageful about? That we're not getting a big movie or a big videogame?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It was basically as advertised: stuff on the CW show, and those radio show voiceovers. That was all that was advertised and that was all that was delivered.
    Disappointment then

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Again, what's to be rageful about? That we're not getting a big movie or a big videogame?
    Yes and that he was mostly absent during the event. While they used his music during the WW panel, and How great Batman is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It was basically as advertised: stuff on the CW show, and those radio show voiceovers. That was all that was advertised and that was all that was delivered. I had hoped maybe there might be some comic news but there really wasn't and that was pretty consistent with the whole event across the board. Comics are second fiddle now to other media on an official level. I'm not thrilled with this but we were trending that way for quite some time now. Comics just aren't as lucrative. We'll just get news on that the regular way, through sites like these. But again they didn't promise anything that they didn't do.
    Disappointment then
    Yeah, "rage" may be strong but I feel the disappointment.

Using the John Williams theme for this event is kind of annoying. The CW show certainly isn't nothing, but we already knew about it.

For a character who barely showed up, we are up to 20 pages

BANNED

For a character who barely showed up, we are up to 20 pages
    Barely showed Up? No, he showed up in Action, Superman, Death Metal, and JL. That's more than what you will get from low A-List nowadays. Barely used properly? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Barely showed Up? No, he showed up in Action, Superman, Death Metal, and JL. That's more than what you will get from low A-List nowadays. Barely used properly? Yes.
    I meant on DC Fandome

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is funny. I had a good laugh.

What are you on about? Multiverse was created after siegel and shuster had left from superman the first time. Siegel came back to write superman again during silverage with restrictions on what to do like comicscode, the company, editors.. Etc.To me writers matter. That pic is just blah! Siegel and shuster didn't want superman married like that and superman being about drama like that. The white knight took his first breath sadly in donner movies. Though donners intention was to create a noble man of ideals, not a white knight.it's just people took that too far. Silverage superman and postcrisis superman are different. If you think they are the same you haven't read comics.I have a bronze age comic as my avatar.
    That the Golden Age Superman isn't that different from the "white knight" Superman. Superman himself didn't stop after they left, he evolved into what we know Superman is today. Writers do matter, but they aren't in a vacuum. Many, many people built Superman, Kal-El, and his mythos after S & S. Like all characters in serial fiction. S&S ultimately didn't own Superman, DC did. Donner' built on what was before in the comics. Flying Superman with incredible powers, had Jonathan and Martha Kent as parents, who worked at the Daily Planet and his editor in chief was Perry White wasn't invented by him. S&S created the Superman who could Hulk leap, could lift a truck, and run faster than a train, worked at the Daily Star, his real name was Kal-L, his parents were John and Mary Kent and his editor in chief was George Taylor. Who, in canon, married Lois Lane in the 50's.

That pictures from Crisis of Infinity Earths, an epic milestone in comic history. Which starred the Superman from Siegel and Shuster's comic strip.

Can you please define what "white knight" means? It's too vague as a description by itself to identity that Superman form others.

Yeah! I disagree.i don't think so.i don't even feel like he is a working class man fighting a never ending battle for truth and justice.
    Superman has only ever been a news reporter in the DCU. He was a news anchor, but he may as well have been a reporter and they had to do something to make his profession be more relevant.