Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Corey W View Post
    That seems fairly easy to Retcon if you want.
    It seems like you have forgotten Quesada's golden rule "dead means dead".

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Come to think of it, I haven't heard much about that rule in a long time. I think lots of people may have forgotten it by now.

Besides, didn't Joe Quesada later, in at least one interview, "clarify" his point by saying that what he'd really meant was more along the following lines? "Dead means dead . . . UNLESS someone comes up with a Really Great Idea for a story about a dead character's big comeback!"

Marvel forgot about that "rule' while it was being pronounced

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    Come to think of it, I haven't heard much about that rule in a long time. I think lots of people may have forgotten it by now.

Besides, didn't Joe Quesada later, in at least one interview, "clarify" his point by saying that what he'd really meant was more along the following lines? "Dead means dead . . . UNLESS someone comes up with a Really Great Idea for a story about a dead character's big comeback!"
    Yes, he did. It was meant to make writers think extra if it was really necessary to kill or bring back characters. I was just being tongue in cheek. However I would love if dead actually meant dead.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Probably there are a handful of characters where the "dead means dead" rule applies and none of them have occurred on Joe Q's watch. Gwen Stacy, her father and Captain Marvel come to mind. Since Captain Marvel's death was so well handled in the GN I think it would have to take an exceptionally good pitch by the writer to get Marvel to nullify that. There might be a few more but these came to mind.

Dum Dum Dugan at least got a nice cameo in the first Captain America movie but I am becoming more and more in agreement with the idea that we will soon seen NuFury more and more as the real Nick Fury gets put out to pasture. Part of the blame goes to Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch IMO. The Ultimate Universe Nick Fury is a more of a scum bag so at least they will leave him over there.

Fantastic Member

So it was Skrulls, now its LMD's? Its like a BSG knockoff. exciting. woooo.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

You seem to have forgotten that was never his golden rule.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Dum Dum was always a character strongly associated with Nick Fury, and now that Marvel is making their younger Nick Fury the primary holder of the name, it was only a matter of time before they started deconstructing the original Nick Fury's supporting cast as they no longer serve a purpose. Phil Coulson is the new Dum Dum Duggan.
    The connection to World War II was also increasingly problematic.

In the Silver Age, he was supposed to be a standard WWII vet. Then they needed superhero science to explain his vitality. And now he's a different type of character entirely with so few members of his generation involved in public life.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I like Dum Dum. I've always dug the SHIELD characters. I don't think that this is really that bad. I get that it seems to be happening more because of disney's desire to have the books jibe with the movies a bit, and that's kind of annoying, but all in all, I don't mind this. It's the kind of twist that any SHIELD story should involve.

And for all the complaining that death is meaningless in comics, whenever they do actually seem I one killing a character off, people can't handle it.

Fictional characters can die, and it doesn't ruin them. There are stories of the death of all of the old mythological characters...Achilles and Hercules and Beowulf and Gilgamesh. Yet they're all still around and stories are still being told about them.

Comic readers are just so strange when it comes to this.

I finally read it, and I actually feel sorry for the character. He could've reacted a bit differently--the revelation had to be devastating to Dugan, but he seemed to regain his footing pretty quickly. Of course it's obvious he'll never return, and I agree with the others who see this as a dismantling of Nick's crew.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Kinda thought this would be about Cap realising this fact after Original Sins 2. Turns out Dum Dum just shows up there in the room that the Black Panther, Doctor Strange and the others can't get into.