Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean, they did something similar where Damian got aged up to being old man with hearing problems.Jon was laughing his ass of
    And it was the storyline which achieved to sour me on the whole 10 y.o. Jon Kent and the very concept of Supersons.

Damian is a complex character, not the usual kid, and making him the butt end of all jokes in the series was utterly terrible.

At least, with a 17 y.o. Jon, there should be some really interesting dynamics and some seriousness, to compensate from the abysmal lack of depth of the two volumes of Supersons so far.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
    The way things are going, Bendis is either planning to get rid of Jon or ruin him then get rid of him as soon as he is done with this Jon arc. I don't think he has much interest in Jon's or Lois' characters hence the reason for both characters to act like they were written by different people in his run alone. I will take his start as a sign were both Lois and Jon went missing. Also this Jon situation will not help because people already know Jon. There is noway they can go out with him like this. And with the way Clark and Lois are now, it will be akward for Jon. So, enjoy this Imposter while he lasts. Unless he is de-aged, don't expect him to stay in the series. Bendis will probably think bringing back Conner will make us forgive him for whatever he does to Jon. And Young Justice Jon is probably for season 5 or 6 if the show lasts that long. Don't really except and want another long timeskip.
    I don't get why people make these baseless accusations and just getting Bendis more haters. Idk if you visit other threads, but a lot of us link to several interviews Bendis has done about the books in other threads and if you'd read them, you'd know he loves Jon and dan jurgens have him his blessing with the plans he had in store for the character.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And it was the storyline which achieved to sour me on the whole 10 y.o. Jon Kent and the very concept of Supersons.

Damian is a complex character, not the usual kid, and making him the butt end of all jokes in the series was utterly terrible.

At least, with a 17 y.o. Jon, there should be some really interesting dynamics and some seriousness, to compensate from the abysmal lack of depth of the two volumes of Supersons so far.
    Dude, you should lighten up a little. It was clearly a joke. Besides, i would do the same if it was jon, heck! Even if it was my favourite character in all of pop culture guts.i don't think damian, comes close to guts in terms of complexity . Besides, the joke worked only because it was someone like damian.And nobody is going to think less of damian. I mean, Have you ever seen adam west batman?
    This 17 year old thing is clearly serious. So, i want serious consequences. It has possibilities, but so did kid jon, i don't care as long as jon is around. His history and personality are intact. And sometime in the future, they can revert him back. Besides, if jon and damian are still going to be together again. They are going to be getting on each other's nerves as bros do.
    Depth thing, Jon not caring if Damian is 60 doesn't tell me it's lack of depth. It depends on where you stand.
    and for all the things he went through(believe me i can relate) damian is still a kid.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-21-2019 at 08:48 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I don't think his intention is to get rid of Jon or that he he doesn't care about Lois. He's just not writing them (or anyone else for that matter) as well as he's writing Superman/Clark. Going by his tweets, he seems interested in showing the family as well as the friendship with Damian and how this growth spurt will play out.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...38567821103105
    This is such great news! Really happy to hear we're getting some sort of Super Sons reunion, and that Bendis is treating their friendship as more than just the bit of smart marketing that it was conceived as (it obviously became more in the actual Super Sons book). They're legitimately friends regardless of what happens in their strange ass lives. Nice sentiment.

I wonder where we're gonna get this reunion though? Post-Unity saga? Over in Action Comics? Teen Titans? It sounds like Bendis is writing it, so I doubt it's the last option.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This is such great news! Really happy to hear we're getting some sort of Super Sons reunion, and that Bendis is treating their friendship as more than just the bit of smart marketing that it was conceived as (it obviously became more in the actual Super Sons book). They're legitimately friends regardless of what happens in their strange ass lives. Nice sentiment.

I wonder where we're gonna get this reunion though? Post-Unity saga? Over in Action Comics? Teen Titans? It sounds like Bendis is writing it, so I doubt it's the last option.
    Well Damian might show up in action. Since, talia is involved.Also, Talia tried to kill Lois in supersons and Damian saved her(not that it will factor in) . The thing is, it would be bad writing if damian or jon decided to end their friendship. Damian stuck up for him during the superflare fiasco and the teen titans thing. As i mentioned before age has never been a problem for Damian. He will talk **** to anyone. Jon on the other hand loves damian because he feeds jon's mischievous side, at first. But it grew, he genuinely had started to see Damian as a brother in arms. Especially , when superman was questioning continuing their friendship. And as i mentioned before Jon did not care when Damian was Aged up and became a grandpa.

Well Damian might show up in action.
    That's true, but I'm guessing that's primarily a Lois and Clark (and Jimmy) story, so I'm not 100% about that being where the reunion takes place.

I assumed it would be Superman, but Clark and Jon are taking off as soon as issue 10, and that seems to be strongly implied to be a father/son thing, so likely not there at this time. My guess is Jon and Clark being in space won't be the end of the Unity Saga, and they'll be back on Earth before it ends.

I'm now wondering if Super Sons comes back as a Wonder Comics joint at some point?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Just occurred to me that since Jon has technically spent just under half his whole life in space, he may be a little rusty on Earth etiquette--the small normal things that we as people do almost unconscionably.

So, maybe the comparison to the movie Big is Jon sort of comedically messing up some Earth customs (because of how ingrained all of the new intergalactic customs he had to learn are) while the Super Sons catch up and Damian tries to help. That's similar to the movie Big in some respects, and has similarities in Miles and Ganke's friendship at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Just occurred to me that since Jon has technically spent just under half his whole life in space, he may be a little rusty on Earth etiquette--the small normal things that we as people do almost unconscionably.

So, maybe the comparison to the movie Big is Jon sort of comedically messing up some Earth customs (because of how ingrained all of the new intergalactic customs he had to learn are) while the Super Sons catch up and Damian tries to help. That's similar to the movie Big in some respects, and has similarities in Miles and Ganke's friendship at the start.
    I can see Damian teaching earth etiquettes to Jon being a disaster in a good way.

Sort of like this

Mighty Member

Those are brilliant. You see what you took away from us, Bendis. :P
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Incredible Member

Bring the age down to around 12-14. The dynamic can still be there. In fact i think 14 would be even better.

Age thing aside again this whole plot with Jon and Jor El is just dumb! It was completely out of character for both Clark and Lois to leave their 10 year old son in space with someone they barely know! It makes no sense and aging him up was just the icing on the cake like why? If you're gonna do something at least have it make some sense.

As far as the thing with Damien Bendis is bullshitting because he wants his little story to work out. It completely changes the dynamic between the 2 and he knows that just doesn't care. This is all classic Bendis he did the same **** in Marvel does what he wants with a character completes his overall arc and then leaves the problem and the backlash for another author to clean up.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Age thing aside again this whole plot with Jon and Jor El is just dumb! It was completely out of character for both Clark and Lois to leave their 10 year old son in space with someone they barely know! It makes no sense and aging him up was just the icing on the cake like why? If you're gonna do something at least have it make some sense.

As far as the thing with Damien Bendis is bullshitting because he wants his little story to work out. It completely changes the dynamic between the 2 and he knows that just doesn't care. This is all classic Bendis he did the same **** in Marvel does what he wants with a character completes his overall arc and then leaves the problem and the backlash for another author to clean up.

Yep,makes no sense, is that the only way you know to get to where you want the story to be? If you have to throw everything out to write what you want, that should tell you something right there.

I see ppl acting like bendis interviews aren't pure BS. He is gonna say whatever gets him over with the gullable crowd. He might care about Jon, but not before he started writing him. Have you guys ever had someone try to sale you something, come on folks

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Bendis just said this won't split them up.
    Hmm. He'll have a hard time doing that without breaking suspension of disbelief.

While they are obviously fictional characters and you can show them doing whatever you want, you are limited by 1) the character’s personality and 2) audience immersion. Damian is prickly enough as it is, and doesn’t strike me as the type of kid who will deal well with someone who is older (and therefore “the responsible one”). He’s also rather broken emotionally and thus distrustful. Any reaction from him that isn’t extremely suspicious of reboot-Jon from the start will be out of character. Damian is very afraid that the people he loves will try to replace him and he would probably immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion. Of course, you can work around this, but it would take time and have to be done carefully. The same is true for Jon, of course. You can't just be apart for 7 years and expect nothing to have changed.

Further, the relationship is simply strained by such a huge age difference. While 4-5 years is fairly small for adults, for kids it is huge. From the perspective of a 12 years old, a 17ish year old is practically an adult and thus someone “in charge” rather than someone to be played with as equals. I know from experience that it’s awkward and almost impossible to be friends with someone that much younger than you for that reason. A big-brother, little brother type relationship is I think the best that can be hoped for, but Damian is not likely to accept Jon as a “big brother” (at least, it would break my suspension of belief if he did). So Bendis will be fighting upstream if he genuinely wants the Supersons friendship to survive this in a realistic manner.

Finally, for the friendship to survive, Bendis has to play it realistically enough that other authors will also write the friendship into stories. The comic world is a communal writing exercise and is shaped by the opinions of multiple authors. If he fails to convince his fellow authors that the relationship is realistic and not awkward, then it won't get written well in other books and will essentially die anyway.

I suppose it's possible, but it's an enormous gamble for him to expect to recover the relationship as it was with no change. It places a lot of faith in his ability to write a story so excellent that it is able to solve all these numerous structural problems while fighting against the opinions of some 60-80% of fans (based on polls on this site) who dislike the change. No doubt he will be able to win over some, but the majority seems a long shot.