Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

i still wonder where is norman green goblin side is at
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

I know Nick Spencer has been quiet all run but its very telling there is no exit interview anywhere. The man just wrote one of the longest runs in Spider-Man history (maybe not years but number of issues) and there is no interview at CBR, Newsarama, etc.

I guarantee you there will be interviews with Al Ewing when Hulk #50 comes out, like there were with Aaron at the end of his Thor and so on and so on.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Marvel is never gonna let us touch OMD as a resolution but I thought the solution offered by Strange was good enough really

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    The man just wrote one of the longest runs in Spider-Man history (maybe not years but number of issues)
    I'm not sure if that does qualify for one of the longest in Spider-Man history - but I'm not making an absolute claim or anything. I think if we go out there and pick issues written writers like Howard Mackie would still pass Spencer's number of issues due to how long they stayed onboard altogether.

I guarantee you there will be interviews with Al Ewing when Hulk #50 comes out, like there were with Aaron at the end of his Thor and so on and so on.
    Well, yeah. These sites basically work as access media being corporate PR limbs with dashes of actual more even-handed content in stuff like reviews and analysis and so on. For stuff like exit interviews it has to be in the interest of the publisher to conduct them.

And since Spencer left for Substack before Marvel expected him to, and apparently is credited with bringing some other people over like Hickman as well, they probably aren't interested in propping him up either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    We have Spider-people and mutant(who can't get Aids btw, it's canon) and you think 100% effective birth control isn't possible.... and a lot of things can happen, but it usually won't because it's a comic, not real life.
    Again I told you marriage in this instance mean being together, this is proven by the fact that as soon as Peter and MJ got back together Kindred(Mephisto's plan) showed up.And in the end we see Peter MJ are still strong and Mayday is a possibility w/ no sign of marriage yet.You're right that legally married has nothing to do w/ kids, but the deal made the relationship that was a marriage go away and hence we call it marriage being the factor whereas it's them being together.
    1) Basic human biology says that’s not how it works. Comics reflect real life, not the other way around. Then you bring a meta argument into it, but we’re not talking meta. Of course whatever happens, happens because of writers, editors and artists. Doesn’t change the fact there is no such thing as 100% effective birth control, so for Mephisto to hinge his deal on MJ not wanting to have a child without being married is super, super stupid on his part. Because anyone with a modicum of knowledge of human reproduction knows mistakes are a possibility.

2) You can “tell me” all you want. Doesn’t change the fact words in the English language have a specific meaning. You can call it “hippy hoppy doodad” if you like, but marriage has NOTHING to do with whether a child is conceived or not, which makes Mephisto’s deal super, super, SUPER stupid. And irrational.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I'm not sure if that does qualify for one of the longest in Spider-Man history - but I'm not making an absolute claim or anything. I think if we go out there and pick issues written writers like Howard Mackie would still pass Spencer's number of issues due to how long they stayed onboard altogether.

Well, yeah. These sites basically work as access media being corporate PR limbs with dashes of actual more even-handed content in stuff like reviews and analysis and so on. For stuff like exit interviews it has to be in the interest of the publisher to conduct them.

And since Spencer left for Substack before Marvel expected him to, and apparently is credited with bringing some other people over like Hickman as well, they probably aren't interested in propping him up either.
    This might be an interesting what-came-first-egg-or-chicken debate. Did Spencer leave for Substack in part due to being disgruntled by editorial interference on his run… or did he jump ship for Substack first and then Breevort and others figured “screw him, what’s the worst he can do now?” and started tinkering with his run?

Fantastic Member

someone needs to get bleeding cool on the phone to score that interview
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    You got it right. There is plenty of blame to go around. The single biggest winner? Dan Slott. He cannot be blamed for what just happened. Biggest loser? Tie: Spencer and Marvel. Spencer could have been a hero if he got rid of OMD and Marvel could have made readers happy if he did. I know the Nick Spencer Kool Aid drinkers are happy with no more Sins Past, but in the end his run was one missed opportunity.
    This does make the weaker parts of Slott's run shine in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    I know it's cliché to say but I blame editorial on this. Looking back over the run and the stuff it seems like Spencer was planning for Kindred to be the original Pre-OMD Harry that died in Spectacular Spider-Man# 200.

It will be very interesting a couple of years from now when Spencer spills the beans on what this story was supposed to be.
    The lack of exit interviews is interesting.

There are many potential reasons for that, but it's curious.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I know Nick Spencer has been quiet all run but its very telling there is no exit interview anywhere. The man just wrote one of the longest runs in Spider-Man history (maybe not years but number of issues) and there is no interview at CBR, Newsarama, etc.

Heh maybe not Hulk considering all the drama with Bennett. But yeah if Spencer left on good terms I don’t know why he basically has been silent since last year. My guess is that he didn’t leave on great terms and I suspect he won’t be returning to Marvel any time soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    someone needs to get bleeding cool on the phone to score that interview
    I'd imagine if Spencer wanted an interview, he's get a venue for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Um…not how human reproduction works, sorry. If one is sexually active and fertile, then no birth control method is 100% effective. 616 Baby May was, after all, implied to be an accident - Peter and MJ certainly weren’t trying for a baby. Has nothing to do with how intelligent one is and everything to do with how human bodies function. And having a piece of paper saying one is legally married has zero to do with whether children are conceived or not.
    But the child will still be different if born under different circumstances from a different combination of Peter and MJ's genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    My guess as to what happens errs more on the simple side:

Spencer gets an offer from Substack

Once he makes it known to Marvel this is happening, there's a rush to figure out how to get everything out the door and plotlines planned for a long time to be set up early

They come up with Beyond as a response as well, so that they don't need to immediately bridge a gap on short notice

The lesson here: don't buy mainstream comics expecting natural conclusions, which are exceptions rather than the rules
    This kinda makes sense, but he still had hundreds of pages to wrap things up even if he left earlier than Marvel anticipated.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    This might be an interesting what-came-first-egg-or-chicken debate. Did Spencer leave for Substack in part due to being disgruntled by editorial interference on his run… or did he jump ship for Substack first and then Breevort and others figured “screw him, what’s the worst he can do now?” and started tinkering with his run?
    I'm putting my chips on it just being about the money. Tynion was living large being the main writer and curator of the Bat-titles over at DC and he even passed on getting an exclusivity contract and to keep steering the Bat ship for more years (something like that, anyway) to go to Substack. He mentioned the money being good and lots of creative freedom.

I'd probably put Spencer on the same boat. All of the hinting and nudging at OMD never stopped and it's only in these last two issues where a huge swerve just hit. Going with my theory of Marvel banking on him staying up to #900 or something to undo OMD, I figured they just left it as undoing Sins Past as an "appetizer" and they can just pick up those threads later. Because they might just squeeze readers dry of their money further, but they just called up a bunch of attention to something they wanted buried and forgotten down to expanding on why Mephisto did it. So if they're just trying to say OMD is never getting undone they're basically working backwards on that cause.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

But the child will still be different if born under different circumstances from a different combination of Peter and MJ's genes.
    That makes even less sense. So if Mephisto is worried about a child conceived on Oct. 16, 2023 at 10:43:54 PM -

Easy. Appear as a pigeon, make sure Peter gets hit in the head with a brick, and ensure he has a headache so bad the only thing he’ll want to do in bed is sleep. Or ensure MJ stays out and doesn’t come home until 11:32:12 PM.

If Mephisto were intelligent, he would have asked for a vasectomy or a tubal ligation in exchange for Aunt May. But that would have required Marvel editorial to A) understand how human reproduction works; B) understand how marriage works; C) understand how plot and storytelling work. Because none of the three are on display in this issue (and it was written by editorial fiat. That’s plainly obvious).

So OMD remains. At least I can save $10....

Astonishing Member

That makes even less sense. So if Mephisto is worried about a child conceived on Oct. 16, 2023 at 10:43:54 PM -

Easy. Appear as a pigeon, make sure Peter gets hit in the head with a brick, and ensure he has a headache so bad the only thing he’ll want to do in bed is sleep. Or ensure MJ stays out and doesn’t come home until 11:32:12 PM.

If Mephisto were intelligent, he would have asked for a vasectomy or a tubal ligation in exchange for Aunt May. But that would have required Marvel editorial to A) understand how human reproduction works; B) understand how marriage works; C) understand how plot and storytelling work. Because none of the three are on display in this issue (and it was written by editorial fiat. That’s plainly obvious).
    Great. Now I have an image of Mephisto saying “I want your balls” instead of “I want your marriage.”

Extraordinary Member

1) Basic human biology says that’s not how it works. Comics reflect real life, not the other way around. Then you bring a meta argument into it, but we’re not talking meta. Of course whatever happens, happens because of writers, editors and artists. Doesn’t change the fact there is no such thing as 100% effective birth control, so for Mephisto to hinge his deal on MJ not wanting to have a child without being married is super, super stupid on his part. Because anyone with a modicum of knowledge of human reproduction knows mistakes are a possibility.

2) You can “tell me” all you want. Doesn’t change the fact words in the English language have a specific meaning. You can call it “hippy hoppy doodad” if you like, but marriage has NOTHING to do with whether a child is conceived or not, which makes Mephisto’s deal super, super, SUPER stupid. And irrational.
    1)Meta is a thing that effects comics.
    2)Peter built web shooters from home at 15, Mutants are immune to aids, 100% birth control exists.Specially someone as careful as Peter is because of how is life is.
    3)Again "marriage" here means their relationship, JESUS.When OMD happened they were seperated, not just dating again.And as soon as they started dating Mephisto attacked in the form of Kindreds.And Strange says they were stronger for OMD, that's how they kinda broke it.Marriage hear means relationship,that's what Mephisto wanted.As you yourself said a piece of paper mean nothing in this situation.
    4)Marriage is this context means relationship and I've given you evidence as to why, you can ignore it all you want.

It's not the timing that's important, it's the people who make the Kid.Peter and MJ here, also if you want to deal w/ facts and better way to do things what you say won't work.Healing factors and science in the MU can take care of that easy.

I'm putting my chips on it just being about the money. Tynion was living large being the main writer and curator of the Bat-titles over at DC and he even passed on getting an exclusivity contract and to keep steering the Bat ship for more years (something like that, anyway) to go to Substack. He mentioned the money being good and lots of creative freedom.

I'd probably put Spencer on the same boat. All of the hinting and nudging at OMD never stopped and it's only in these last two issues where a huge swerve just hit. Going with my theory of Marvel banking on him staying up to #900 or something to undo OMD, I figured they just left it as undoing Sins Past as an "appetizer" and they can just pick up those threads later. Because they might just squeeze readers dry of their money further, but they just called up a bunch of attention to something they wanted buried and forgotten down to expanding on why Mephisto did it. So if they're just trying to say OMD is never getting undone they're basically working backwards on that cause.
    For what came first, I think they interfered w/ Spencer not letting him go all the way and he retaliated w/ Substack.He wanted redemption for Cap fiasco, not to mention you can see the seeds of OMD planted, there's just no way to deny that.