Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Legaldrugdealer's Avatar

Here’s a Greg Land commission I just received last week
    E4EB67EF-1D0F-49C6-ABA4-E318133AA937.jpg

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    That's one of my favorite issues of Classic X-Men. It was so beautifully drawn.

Love those panels of Jean dancing with an imaginary Scott : D

scott jean (2).jpg

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    That's one of my favorite issues of Classic X-Men. It was so beautifully drawn.

Love those panels of Jean dancing with an imaginary Scott : D

scott jean (2).jpg
    Great scene. That whole story was a gem and a classic, fitting for the title. The whole thing was beautiful.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legaldrugdealer View Post
    Your commission was to draw like Land, Legaldrugdealer?

From The Shadows and Starchilde, thanks for sharing. That is one of the Classic X-Men stories I don't want to burn in the hottest circle of Hell! :D

It's really sweet and a wonderful "silent issue". :)

Very nice! Classic 90s uniforms will always have a special place for X-Men. Thanks for sharing this.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Your commission was to draw like Land, Legaldrugdealer?
    No this is a commission drawn by Greg Land
    I think I tried to explain before but I’m not an artist but I commission artists for pieces =p

Here’s a clearer picture
    Last edited by Legaldrugdealer; 09-07-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Double post

Yes. I understand she’s not the centre of the stories.

The problem with Ben’s situation is that he may use Jean to deal with it. And it may not to be about her, but just her power, you know?
    Saying that that would be a big mistake is an understatement.

I think I’d prefer a new series loosely based on the stories, but tightly close to the characters. I’d like it to start with the O5 (but not the time displaced brats). One episode for each their personal stories, as the team is formed, then Mag attacks.

In episode seven, Charles tells the teens about Magneto. And we introduce Gabrielle Haller during those flashbacks. And we can introduce Moira (a human, not the current hot mess) during a field trip to Muir Island.

We can get episodes for the introduction of some classic villains and every now and then we’d get a little glimpse of the characters of the second team. Season one ends with the original Krakoa story. But let’s leave Deadly Genesis out.
    Sign me up!

I think it means that people who are primarily fans of Logan don’t feel they belong in these forums. And if you consider how they’re often referred to, it’s not difficult to see why.
    I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

Confession time? I never got Batman’s appeal.
    Not every character clicks with everyone, you know? I should clarify that I don't hate Wolverine or Batman, just that I'm sick of their overexposure.

Thank you. I'lll visit as soon as it’s safe.
    Hopefully very soon.

If they’re photographing their food obsessively until they get the perfect shot, they probably don’t read comics.
    That might be a clue. Funny that you mention it, but my mom just got into that trend.

No! Really? Wolverine? Who would think of that?!

Magik could bring some readers to the comics. If only she was part of a book where she consistently appeared...
    Is she not still appearing regularly in New Mutants? I dropped that book a long while back.

I love how they handle the characters.
    Japan loves the slice-of-life genre, really dig into character interactions.

Frozen and Moana. I remember reading on an interview about Moana that she wouldn’t have any romantic interest. It was pointed out as a good thing.

I don’t need all the “princesses” to have a romantic interest. I just mentioned Mulan, right? But I don’t see that as either a positive or a negative thing on principle. I think it depends on the character and the story.
    It seems like common sense, but yeah, those decisions should be made with story in mind. That being said, I can really appreciate an action/adventure story that also incorporates a romance as a background element.

I think there are three different issues here:

1)Humour for humour
    2)Using humour to add to the characterization/relatable-ness of the character
    3)Adding stuff to the character as a way to portray them as relatable instead of actually writing them as a tridimensional character.

1 means you add a joke about whatever just to keep the story light-hearted.

In 2 you create a situation where something unexpected is presented, but it’s meant to portray an aspect of the character (following the “show, don’t tell rule”). Let me post this again, because I think it’s a good example:

We find out that Scott has a Captain America Teddy Bear that he likes enough to have taken to Alaska with him. That’s unexpected right? You don’t imagine someone that serious likes a fluffy toy. And it could’ve been used just to tell a joke and call it a day.

But it is the fact that Jean earned the bear for him that adds to Scott’s characterization and to how relatable he is: the bear is special because it was her joke, her loving gesture. It tells a lot about their relationship without having a character saying: “she brings joy to his life and that’s one of the many reasons why he loves her”.

Now 3 is about adding a random (usually small) negative trait to a character so they feel like they’re a normal person like us. For instance: the female character has cellulite. It’s the like writer is saying: “See? She’s like most women. She’s so relatable. Can I go back to writing her as invincible and otherwise perfect now?”

So, back to the MCU, I think the villain humour they use usually falls on categories 1 or 3 and sometimes it’s detrimental.
    One and three are absolutely detrimental to the villains, it breaks tension before that's necessary and we don't have to relate to every character.

My lazy friends weren’t interested in walking to the beach to read poetry! I wasn’t inviting them to run a marathon!

Are you really competitive, though?

When I play something I’ll do my best to win. But it’s about the effort, not the actual victory. I don’t really care if I lose, you know?
    Most of the time, it's also about the effort, and when a loss is close it can be really exciting - but sometimes I really want to win. Anything from video game to sports.

Let me get my boxing gloves.
    Ding ding!

It still annoys me.
    After the fact, it's a little funny, but I don't think many people were laughing at the time.

Ungrateful brats!
    Haha, I bring it up sometimes just to mess with them, but we all just laugh about it now.

I still want Jean to be an UN ambassador. She reminds me so much of Lady Di on certain aspects. Some months ago I found this video. When I heard the song they picked I squealed like a little happy pig. (****spoiler****: because of the wedding issue).

She was luminous, warm, caring, loving, beautiful and so charismatic. She had a great sense of style and looked as great wearing casual clothes, designer clothes or gala gowns… So much like Jean it hurts, even though they don’t look anything alike.

For me, this is the true power of this character and why she can carry big stories like the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Saga: the goodness in her immense heart, her humanity, her surrender.

Her ability to reach out and truly connect, truly comfort someone, even when she’s hurt inside is so special. There’s nothing weak about being caring and delicate. There’s true strength in it, the kind that is rare and that the world desperately needs.

For a situation like this to feel genuine, you *need* a character like Jean. Otherwise the gravitas is lost due to our incredulity.
    I thought the UN story from Red was bungled up a bit, but it was a good instinct. Those characteristics are definitely Jean, but I struggle to think how anyone could call her weak.

It would be cool if they made it for PC too. Then I’d be able to play as well!
    I don't play much on the PC, I think I have the first two Fallout games.

Some teachers are annoying. But I still feel sorry for most of them. The ones who are exclusively teachers, that is. University teachers who are forced to teach and make it obvious that’s the case get no sympathy from me.
    I've had some great teachers, they've got a tough job. My math teachers especially.

Yeah. We’ll see how it goes. Recently history isn’t very encouraging

People just gotta act prudentially.

Those things got easier and easier. Gotta love that.
    Ain't technology wonderful?

It means they like talking to you?
    They appreciate that I don't interrupt their marathons?

OMG! That was too good for too many reasons to list, my friend!

Thank you!
    You're welcome, I've been known to tell a joke on occasion.

I don’t remember if I ever struggled with it. Possibly. But I think I learned really young you don’t get to shy away from confrontations if you are to spend enough time with someone. It will come one way or another, so it’s better to bite the bullet and address it while it’s it’s manageable.
    A lot of people prefer comfortable ignorance though.

Yep. It’s all about re-balancing the body, both the physical and the “energetic” aspects of it. It’s pretty interesting.
    Learning about other cultures is always interesting.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

No this is a commission drawn by Greg Land ;)
    I think I tried to explain before but I’m not an artist but I commission artists for pieces =p

Here’s a clearer picture
    Oh... I see. Sorry, I don't remember reading your explanation.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Like MarvelMaster616 said, the 90s uniforms will always have a special place in my heart. Though Jean's was horrible! :D

No this is a commission drawn by Greg Land

Here’s a clearer picture
    Thanks! This is much better.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Saying that that would be a big mistake is an understatement.
    Some fans might love it.

Which will make me beg Ziggy (again) to take me back home. :P

Sign me up!
    I know that you can’t really do something like that with films, but I’d still like the X-Men in the MCU to start with the O5. Though, I don’t know, lately… *sigh* I don’t even know if I want them in the MCU now.

I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.
    Such behaviour selects and limits the voices in a community like this.

Not every character clicks with everyone, you know? I should clarify that I don't hate Wolverine or Batman, just that I'm sick of their overexposure.
    I don’t hate Batman. I just don’t really get his appeal.

I get Logan’s appeal. I think he’s a really interesting character when he’s well-written. He’s just not one of my favourites.

I do agree about the overexposure. I hope Logan’s event doesn’t mean we’ll start seeing him everywhere again. His not being in the flagship for a change feels great.

Hopefully very soon.
    Yep. But I don’t know. There’s something weird going on with the numbers. It’s making me a bit apprehensive. I have the feeling we’re missing something important in this post-vaccination picture.

That might be a clue. Funny that you mention it, but my mom just got into that trend.
    I’m telling you: these conversations I have with you and TheDeadSpace (and occasionally Gray), get spooky sometimes. :P

Hopefully, it’s a trend she’ll get tired of, though. Over here it’s the other way around. When I prepare something, mum usually annoys me to take a picture and send it to her. Even when she’s here she wants me to take pictures of it.

I could understand if it was a decorated cake, but sometimes it’s just a pie or worse: a main dish like chicken cacciatore or something that looks like this, if you dress it up:

It drives me crazy: “Mum. It’s chicken. Floating in sauce.” I complain, but I take the damn picture for her anyway. :P

Is she not still appearing regularly in New Mutants? I dropped that book a long while back.
    Not really. It’s been mostly those kids doing their stupid experiments and Dani trying to help Xi’an and Rahne. Occasionally Illyana and/or James (Warpath) appear training the kids.

She’ll probably be appearing more in the future issues, though.

Japan loves the slice-of-life genre, really dig into character interactions.
    English doesn’t have a good word to express it. I *think* in Spanish it would be “sencillez”. Does it make sense to you?

When you say “simple” in English, it normally comes with a negative connotation. I’m talking about the kind of simplicity that is pure and delicate. That is true and deep.

You know what I mean?

By the way: do you speak Spanish and if so, are you fluent?

It seems like common sense, but yeah, those decisions should be made with story in mind. That being said, I can really appreciate an action/adventure story that also incorporates a romance as a background element.
    Yes! A good romance, when it fits the story, can make any genre better. Even comedy! :)

Who doesn’t love Gomez and Morticia? :D

I tend not to like romantic “comedies”, though.

One and three are absolutely detrimental to the villains, it breaks tension before that's necessary and we don't have to relate to every character.
    Yes! We don’t need to relate to every character. Just write the damn character with depth and let people they speak to relate to them.

And yes: humour when it comes to villains can be really tricky. In the comics, I miss the serious portrayals of Sinister...

Most of the time, it's also about the effort, and when a loss is close it can be really exciting - but sometimes I really want to win. Anything from video game to sports.
    It must be that testosterone in your fabric default. :P

Ding ding!
    I actually love punching and kicking for fitness purposes. When I move to a bigger house, I’ll get one of those training dummies.

After the fact, it's a little funny, but I don't think many people were laughing at the time.
    Is it a little funny? I can’t tell. I don’t normally hold grudges, but when I do…

Haha, I bring it up sometimes just to mess with them, but we all just laugh about it now.
    Yeah. It's funny to look back and see the stuff that was so important to us become endearingly meaningless. :)

I thought the UN story from Red was bungled up a bit, but it was a good instinct. Those characteristics are definitely Jean, but I struggle to think how anyone could call her weak.
    Well, she wasn’t working with the UN in Red. She was just petitioning, right? It’s different.

Jean has been mostly a private person, but the media/politicians seem to love her, which makes total sense:

I know this has a high potential to become a boring story, but you don’t need to make it about the work itself.

People see/call her weak because she’s very feminine. There is a tendency (and it’s not just related to sexism) to identify the characteristics an oppressed group share as weakness. Before women could work and have their financial independence they were, by definition, dependent and powerless, right? Most females leads nowadays are portrayed as super powerful and capable of dealing with every threat on their own. But in reality, it’s very common for women to prefer to cooperate. And that’s not a bad thing and it doesn’t means they can’t function on their own, you know?

I haven’t watched the live action of Mulan yet but, apparently, they gave her the power of “Chi”. Because imagine that: a girl compensating for her lack of physical prowess with her smarts is not good enough nowadays. *shrug*

When it comes to Jean (and Rachel), though, some Marvel writers are very comfortable with writing them as non-nonsensically incompetent. Go figure.

But back to your original question, here are jobs our couples could have.

Jean: could go back to modelling, could dust her diploma and get her practice or work as student counselor or at hospitals, could use her people’s skills to work in any kind of government institution (particularly when it comes to negotiating and mediating good deals), could write about her life and live of talks and subsequent books, could become the leader of her own cult, could become an internet influencer and/or start her own brand of cosmetics/make-up/clothes. EDIT: she could run for any elected office too.

Scott: could work as a pilot, could get a loan with Xavier and restart his family air freight company (he helped his grandparents for a week? This makes him a specialist in comic book terms :P), a private military or security company, could work as a military or security consultant, could become a professional billiard athlete, could open his dojo and teach martial arts, could become a professional handyman and go fix stuff.

I think Jean would prefer to dust her diploma and Scott would probably enjoy getting paid to fix stuff all day. :P

I don't play much on the PC, I think I have the first two Fallout games.
    Playing on PC is just more convenient for us nowadays.

I've had some great teachers, they've got a tough job. My math teachers especially.
    I’ve had some really great teachers too. One of them is very special to my brother and I. :)

People just gotta act prudentially.
    Yeah. But judging by the last F1 race…

Ain't technology wonderful?
    Yes! It can make us slave to it and distort our perspective of important stuff in life as well. But, in itself, it is wonderful. :)

They appreciate that I don't interrupt their marathons?
    Judging by the size of my messages and the fact you didn’t tell/ask/beg me to cut it short yet? I’d say so! :D

You're welcome, I've been known to tell a joke on occasion.
    I love jokes! Don’t be shy! :)

A lot of people prefer comfortable ignorance though.
    It seems so. But I don’t get it, really. If it’s inevitable and it’s only going to get worse, address the stuff as soon as possible. I don’t like confrontations either, but I choose for the lesser of the two uncomfortable/difficult situations.

It reminds me of something somewhat similar that happened last week. Everyone was just letting their hearts make all the decisions and I had to step in and act like a cold-hearted she-dog. I’m telling you: Scott is my spirit animal.

Mr. Spock, since Ziggy won’t come pick me up, would you please take me to Vulcan instead? :P

Learning about other cultures is always interesting.
    I agree. Mulder was only partially right: yes, the truth is out there. But it’s also spread in tiny pieces all over the place. :)

Dead lord, I’m disgusting myself with my nerd-ness today. :P
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-08-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Oh... I see. Sorry, I don't remember reading your explanation.

Thanks for sharing.

Like MarvelMaster616 said, the 90s uniforms will always have a special place in my heart. Though Jean's was horrible!
    Yeah well, when I started collecting X-men it was just after Jim Lee left and they were wearing these costumes. So they always have a soft spot. Plus Jean looked particularly hot though that could have just been Jim Lee. Some artist s have refused to draw this costume on her cuz they hate it =p

The worst version though is the 90s animated with the ponytail. I hated that one. I know it’s the same costume but the ponytail I guess showed how bad the costume is lol

Yeah well, when I started collecting X-men it was just after Jim Lee left and they were wearing these costumes. So they always have a soft spot. Plus Jean looked particularly hot though that could have just been Jim Lee. Some artist s have refused to draw this costume on her cuz they hate it =p

The worst version though is the 90s animated with the ponytail. I hated that one. I know it’s the same costume but the ponytail I guess showed how bad the costume is lol
    Or all that lose hair distracted from the bad costume in the comics! :)

It wasn't just Jim Lee, though. Even though they'd always draw Jean in a poised, alluring way, Jean was allowed to be "hot" in the 90s and all artists drew her like that (at the best of their skills, at least). That was taken from her in the early 2000s before her death. But that's a whole other discussion.

Anyway, she made that horrible costume iconic and I think that's testimony to her star power. :)