Page 10 of 172 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    One can use social media just be careful what you post there.

It's not really so difficult.

Social media can be a valuable tool just that people abuse it.
    It's not even abuse in cases like Gunn he made some bad jokes admittedly not good ones but jokes. The thing is what someone and their friends might find funny others will find offensive and in a world where being offensive is a punishable offense by the mobs it's best to stay off IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's not even abuse in cases like Gunn he made some bad jokes admittedly not good ones but jokes. The thing is what someone and their friends might find funny others will find offensive and in a world where being offensive is a punishable offense by the mobs it's best to stay off IMO.
    Then keep it behind closed doors?

Twitter ain't for "friends."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Then keep it behind closed doors?

Twitter ain't for "friends."
    With more and more people creating online friendships it blurs lines for some also the echo chambers created online where people blocking opinions they disagree with creates false senses of security when talking online. I'm not saying it's smart or right just that I understand how it happens and the best option is staying off social media or using for promoting a business venture but not for actually social activities.

Mighty Member

It's not about becoming a bigot, it's about stating the facts and the context of issues.

Comparing the racist experience of what colored minorities- men, women and children have and still go through in the US (i only stayed briefly in the United Kingdom and I really can't form an opinion about that place) to what white people experience can not lead to any meaningful discussion or conclusions considering sheer lopsidedness in one group of people's experiences. Unless one wants to close their eyes to all the news around them and the actual, factual increase in the number of hate crimes reported in the United States since the "Make America Great Again" crowd took control of the country.

It's like how some straight men try to make the extremely false comparison of how straight men get sexually assaulted and raped like women too. I'm a straight man and even i recognize that it's a bullshit argument considering just how pervasive sexual assault is against little girls and women around the world. Or worse still, straight people complaining about how they are being discriminated against because some very few gay people use the word "breeder".

I'm not justifying bigotry or the use of hateful slurs against people (Jermaine Jackson was a total idiot to call anyone white trash) but nonetheless we are obligated to call out the bullshit when see it. I mean, the irony of this entire situation is that James Gunn was taken out by racist, alt-right nut job....
    I guess you'll never understand until it happens to you

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Eh. I just joined twitter either last year or 2016. I rarely use it and when I do it's to promote my indie comics or other creators' books I've supported. It's not rocket science. No one had to tell me to not wax poetic about rape and pedophilia.
    It's not rocket science.

But at the same time, you only have to say the wrong thing one time for it to come back and bite you in the behind. If happen to be drinking too much one evening or just happen to be having a bad day where you're not yourself, you can end up saying something that you won't be able to take back. Even people who 99% of the time are perfectly boring on social media can slip just one time and say something they regret later on. And for public figures, that can potentially cost you your career. Even non public figures can get nailed, if whatever you say or do is interesting enough for one person to make it go viral.

I'm not saying everyone should avoid social media of course. But it's becoming clearer and clearer that there are real risks to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    With more and more people creating online friendships it blurs lines for some also the echo chambers created online where people blocking opinions they disagree with creates false senses of security when talking online. I'm not saying it's smart or right just that I understand how it happens and the best option is staying off social media or using for promoting a business venture but not for actually social activities.
    James Gunn is 51 years old.

It isn't like he grew up in the age of Social Media.

Dude didn't even grow up in the age of traditional forums like this one!

He was a grown ass man making those comments, lots of comments, for "laughs"

this isn't a case of some kids caught acting out and not understanding the ramifications. This isn't some kid being your typical "high school edgy" crap. Not some kid who grew up on social media.

This is a 50 year old MAN who wanted to use the twitter platform to be "edgy" and for attention... he just got the attention he wanted 10 years later than planned

I don' tgive two craps about James Gunn. Oh no, he now has to live with his millions by himself! oh no!

but some of these arguments are just ridiculous.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's not rocket science.

But at the same time, you only have to say the wrong thing one time for it to come back and bite you in the behind. If happen to be drinking too much one evening or just happen to be having a bad day where you're not yourself, you can end up saying something that you won't be able to take back. Even people who 99% of the time are perfectly boring on social media can slip just one time and say something they regret later on. And for public figures, that can potentially cost you your career. Even non public figures can get nailed, if whatever you say or do is interesting enough for one person to make it go viral.

I'm not saying everyone should avoid social media of course. But it's becoming clearer and clearer that there are real risks to using it.
    There wasn't one tweet.

Or two tweets.

or three tweets

or.....

Marvel won't cancel GOTG 3 but there will be a tonal change because the movies were made entirely in Gunn's style from casting to action.
    Of course they won't cancel GoTG 3 in the sense that "without Gunn we don't see how it can be made". No but they will cancel it later when they realise that wihtout him it will not work. They will push the project until they can't push it enough. The closest Marvel has come to this is Ant-man when Edgar Wright left. Both him and Gunn work in a similar sense that they both are more auteurs then directors. With Wright the movie hadn't started filming yet and Paul Rudd the star had a working relationship with the new director from before and also was involved in the writting process.

With the Guardians movies it's very different. We are 2 movies down with the crew and it's all about Gunn on the set. The visual representation of Groot and Rocket. He brought so many actors along that owe him so much. Even if he wants them to shoot it wihout him it will be hard. GotG works because there is a wacky sense of humour both in jokes and direction, knowledge about marvel cosmic, a lust to expirment with odd ideas and a lot of heart. Add to that the elusive work ethic and talent it takes to create a big space blockbuster. Wihtout Gunn all of that goes away.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It just goes to show you that in political debates, plenty can be used against you. Though if you ask me debating politics isn't a good thing for someone in the first place but that's another discussion. I don't know if it was right for Disney to fire the man after these old Tweets, but ultimately nothing we can do. Make a example out of someone and maybe more people will keep their mouths shut. He said some pretty disgusting things.

Astonishing Member

I might have said that this is an over reaction to ten year old bad jokes, but then I saw an article with some of the actual tweets... oh boy were they awful... :/

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverines View Post
    I almost want to say firing him was a good thing bcuz the next director can actually get GOTG correctly, James was a sore spot for the series, he turned what should have been a space exploring Star-Gate franchise to a complete empty filled comedy that bears no resemblance to the comics but since Disney is still making decisions, nothing will change.
    I said this in another thread, and Marvel stans got defensive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    What did Gunn tweeted?

10k tweets... that's a lot.

I actually hadn't went and read his tweets until now. frankly, I didn't care enough to do so.

From the comments and fuss people were raising, I expected something so distrusting or disgusting that it would make you sick reading it.

Looking at those though ... they're harmless. Those are obviously just bad jokes he's telling. Tasteless, sure. It's nothing. He's worked on movies that had far worse stuff than that. Has anybody here actually seen Tromeo and Juliet? It's a nasty piece of work, even by Troma standards and they go out of their way to be as offensive as possible for humor.

I can't understand why people can't just look at something like that and go, "Okay. Not my thing. Moving on." He's telling bad jokes. Not even telling them. He TOLD them years ago. Who's getting hurt by this?

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    There wasn't one tweet.

Or two tweets.

or three tweets

or.....
    That was his Shtick though. I definitely didn't find them funny, but they're so over the top it's absurd. Also there's no way Disney didn't know about those tweets.