Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hobbs and Shaw Has any other franchise ever taken bigger shift in tone?

I thought someone would have made a thread on this

The trailer doesn't look that special to me but I find it so interesting that basically movie line about underground street racing has morphed into a superhero franchise.

A couple of things...

- Does a spinoff really count as part of the franchise?

- Is Wes Craven's New Nightmare a film that counts? It was a pretty decent departure.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A couple of things...

- Is Wes Craven's New Nightmare a film that counts? It was a pretty decent departure.
    Why wouldn't it? Franchise in this case means media that are connected and this spin off is clearly connected to the F&F franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A couple of things...

I think it counts we know it is same world and they are playing the same characters and I think they will mention charatcers absence in Fast and Furious.

Extraordinary Member

Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie. Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others. For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!

Castle(tv show).

It started as a mystery writer shadowing a detective to take inspiration for his next book. Basic crime procedural drama.

It introduced telekinesis, an invisibility suit, time travel, alternate universes and a few other sci-fi things in later seasons.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie. Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others. For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!
    Sure, but a freaking Cyborg? Seriously?!

Literally thought the thread was about "Calvin and Hobbes" lol

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

While it kept a lot of the frame of the story the same Jason X was sort of a departure.

Edit: Also along that line, Leprechaun 4: In Space. Wasn't the Leprechaun working on some scheme to become a space emperor?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 02-02-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    In some defense of this the Monsters were never played for laughs just Abbott and Costello's reactions to them also it's better than most actual sequels to those characters individual films.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Death Wish the first film was a gritty look at crime and in the inner city. I know it's hard to imagine today but back then people of all races really were tired of crime and didn't view vigilante justice as harshly as we would today.

Death Wish 2 was more grind house type film going the exploitative route.

Then Cannon's Death Wish 3 was completely gonzo over the top crazy.

Rocky franchise from the excellent first Rocky a very grounded film to the over the top and glorious Rocky IV where he fights communism. Another Stallone franchise with massive tone shift was again the grounded First Blood to the over the top Rambo sequels which in some ways seemed like a response to Cannon's Missing in Action series with Chuck Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In some defense of this the Monsters were never played for laughs just Abbott and Costello's reactions to them also it's better than most actually sequels to those characters individual films.
    No need to defend it. it was a fun movie and you are right about it's quality.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I mean.... after doing stuff like this or this is it really that surprising?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yeah like others have said a lot of improbable stuff happened in the FF movies. Why not?