Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Hello CBR 2.0! I guess I'll just have to do like May and Peter did in this movie and try to let go of the past. The old forums will be missed.

That said, I enjoyed ASM2 for the most part. It was a bit of a bummer the way they honored the Gwen storyline, but it was cool to see them actually go there. It's amazing that a 50 year old story can still have such an impact. And I was surprised to hear people in the theater who didn't see it coming. I enjoyed the villains, I felt they each got sufficient screen time. I was intrigued by their take on the Green Goblin, but I'm also still adjusting to it (especially what they did with Norman). I enjoyed the performance of the actor who played Harry, but for me, Norman will always be the one true Goblin.

Although I prefer the Webb movies to the Raimi trilogy, I agree with Slade Wilson that the reboot suffers some as it tries to avoid doing what's already been done. It all seems questionable to me... They can rehash the same old Uncle Ben or Harry plots, but they shy away from Norman Osborn, Jonah Jameson, and Mary Jane. I like what we've gotten, but I can't help but notice what's missing. I understand the criticisms that this film's plot was already overstuffed, but that's what makes the serialized comics and tv shows so much better: the storylines and characters have more room to breathe.

I wonder, if they had dropped the stuff about Peter's parents, would the plot have still held up? We might have lost some themes of predestination, legacy and inheritance, and the parallelism/contrast between Peter and Harry, but I'm not sure that's what the movie was about anyway. I think the movie's winning themes had more to do with hope, mortality, and revenge, and it might have done better to stay focused on the present day characters. For example, some have said that Electro didn't tie in thematically with the other characters, but he kind of did in the sense that he put all his hope in Spider-Man, and his eventual disappoint led him to seek revenge (and the same happened to Harry). Meanwhile, Gwen was Spidey's encouragement to never give up hope, and to continue inspiring hope in others.

One random observation: As of the end of ASM2, Peter has received at least 3 messages from beyond the grave (not to mention a certain haunting). Is that normal for grieving persons?

BANNED

Default Welivefilms thoughts on tasm 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlR-dgJsYMI

39:01-41:22

41:29-42:15

43:27-47:36

33:20-34:35

1:04:09-01:04:51

any thoughts?

did peter even learn anything in this film? what was the moral anyway?

will sony will the rights? any news on that because i really want them to lose it

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    The villains were pretty cool too. Far better than the first ASM. Jamie Foxx was awesome as Electro. He was funny and odd as Max and once he embraced being Electro, he had some of the most badass and epic scenes in the film. The only thing I didnt like about him was that again he was very different from Max in the comics. I heard that he is more based on the Ultimate version (which I never read) so that make sense because he wasnt really much like 616 Electro. Still Foxx was very cool.
    Electro was based on the Ultimate version in look, but he was based on neither version in personality. In both universes he is just big jerk, over-confident thug who gets powers. He's the guy, of all the people in the world, who nobody would choose to get powers because he's such an a-hole. Kind of like Mac Gargan, you know? This movie really took a different direction with him, making him this obsessive Spider-Man fan and a really nerdy nobody. I think thats part of people's problem with Electro - the guy with the powers was not much like the guy without the powers.

For me, the transformation made sense. He finally felt what it was like to be powerful and immediately started abusing it. It made him more complex than Electro has any right to be. But it seems that people expected him to continue being a wimp after he got the powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Electro was based on the Ultimate version in look, but he was based on neither version in personality. In both universes he is just big jerk, over-confident thug who gets powers. He's the guy, of all the people in the world, who nobody would choose to get powers because he's such an a-hole. Kind of like Mac Gargan, you know? This movie really took a different direction with him, making him this obsessive Spider-Man fan and a really nerdy nobody. I think thats part of people's problem with Electro - the guy with the powers was not much like the guy without the powers.

For me, the transformation made sense. He finally felt what it was like to be powerful and immediately started abusing it. It made him more complex than Electro has any right to be. But it seems that people expected him to continue being a wimp after he got the powers.
    I think you make a good point. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but I wouldn’t have minded if Max Dillon was just a jerk electrician who felt overlooked, got his powers in an accident, and then proceeded to abuse them in the manner your described. I don’t think the obsession with Spider-Man was needed at all. They still would have become enemies when Peter tried to stop him/protect innocent people.

That brings to mind something I’ve been thinking about in regards to the Rami films—did every villain really need a personal connection to Peter Parker? In the first Spider-Man, Norman was his best friend’s dad. In Spider-Man 2, Otto took the role of a tragic mentor figure. In Spider-Man 3, Sandman just happened to be Uncle Ben’s killer, and Peter worked with Venom. I loved those movies for the most part, but it’s a little weird that in a city of millions, the only four or so people who gain super powers just so happen to know Peter Parker in their personal lives. In TASM2, I liked that Electro never met Peter in his civilian identity.

Really? Can you just summarize? Nobody is going youtube timestamp chasing in a Google hangout.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Really? Can you just summarize? Nobody is going youtube timestamp chasing in a Google hangout.
    oh alright:

first they said that the reason tobey acted so much of a shy awkwrd nerd than a person is because it makes him more human and would make us sympathize with him and that wehn adnrew is spiderman it makes him into a total *******.

then he said that the reason spiderman cracks jokes is because he's scared but he has to use these jokes to stay sane

they also said that modern day nerds don't act like andrew nor dress up like him

they keep saying that andrew is still an *******

they also stated that andrew barely learned anything

they also said that andrew's spiderman is weak and during the fight scene with goblin all he used was webs

they also questioned how he even lift a cop car like it was nothing.

that's all i can give you for now. opening a tab and finding the time of their statements wouldn't be so hard now would it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    That brings to mind something I’ve been thinking about in regards to the Rami films—did every villain really need a personal connection to Peter Parker? In the first Spider-Man, Norman was his best friend’s dad. In Spider-Man 2, Otto took the role of a tragic mentor figure. In Spider-Man 3, Sandman just happened to be Uncle Ben’s killer, and Peter worked with Venom. I loved those movies for the most part, but it’s a little weird that in a city of millions, the only four or so people who gain super powers just so happen to know Peter Parker in their personal lives. In TASM2, I liked that Electro never met Peter in his civilian identity.
    This is the thing that kills me. Alot of people seem to have more of a problem with all the villains coming from Oscorp than they do with the "Peter Parker ties" thing that was going on in the Raimi films. Yeah, it kinda makes Oscorp seem like a textbook case of "evil corporation, muahahaha!", but still. I can accept that more than every villain having some kind of personal tie with Pete himself. (Yeah, Lizard and Harry are both connected to Peter, but it's not as heavy handed except in maybe Harry's case, and Electro and Rhino still aren't connected to Peter personally).

Quote Originally Posted by DaltonL227 View Post
    This is the thing that kills me. Alot of people seem to have more of a problem with all the villains coming from Oscorp than they do with the "Peter Parker ties" thing that was going on in the Raimi films. Yeah, it kinda makes Oscorp seem like a textbook case of "evil corporation, muahahaha!", but still. I can accept that more than every villain having some kind of personal tie with Pete himself. (Yeah, Lizard and Harry are both connected to Peter, but it's not as heavy handed except in maybe Harry's case, and Electro and Rhino still aren't connected to Peter personally).
    Yeah, it’s kind of like having Mary Jane being kidnapped in every final villain battle to raise the stakes. Again, I loved the Rami films, but you don’t have to have the hero’s love interest threatened at the end of every film to have high stakes. (The Iron Man trilogy was also guilty of this.) Sometimes the hero just wants to stop the bad guy to save innocent lives because it’s the right thing to do.

In regards to the Oscorp criticism, I think the problem is easily solved by introducing a villain that initially has no connection to Oscorp (like Mysterio or Kraven) who then gets co-opted by Oscorp/Green Goblin after being defeated by Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

So i finally have seen ASM2 in Cinema,and over all i thought it was a good movie.
    Spider-Man/Peter Parker characterisation was spot on with all the dilemas that the character was having.
    I like how this movie is in line with the comics,Spidey making jokes,mechanical web shooters,and Gwen Stacy death as in the comics but the parts that have nothing to do with comics are annoying.
    The focus of the movies in Peter Parker parents are a exemple,in comics that part was done in one Annual story over all these years in the first movies of ASM Peter Parents are about the main plot!!
    And thats something that puts Uncle Bem and Aunt May role in the movies not as strong and well written as it is in comics.
    The final "fight" with Rhino was a bummer,because i was actually hoping to see Spidey fighting Rhino.
    Oscorp being the origin of all the villains is far fetched,Spider-Man stories have more variety than that.
    But the goods outweights the cons i had with this movie.
    Spidey acted as i imagine Spidey would act in the movies,Electro being the main villain was great because his powers made cool action scenes.
    Harry Osborn descend as the new Green Goblin was well structured.
    And the story kept interesting through the whole movie,so while ASM 2 is not a perfect movie is still a good Spider-Man movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    The final "fight" with Rhino was a bummer,because i was actually hoping to see Spidey fighting Rhino.
    One the one hand, that might've been "cool", but it was time for the film to end. Ending in media res gave the last scene a sense of "and life goes on" that another big action set piece would not have had.

Besides, we all know Rhino's gonna be either in ASM 3 or the Sinister Six film, so it's not like we're losing all that much.

Oscorp being the origin of all the villains is far fetched,Spider-Man stories have more variety than that.
    The modern-day Spider mythos is very Oscorp-centric (see Ulitmate Spiderman [comic] and even the Speccy animated series).

BANNED

Its gonna be interesting to see who is going to be the female lead in ASM 3 now. The obvious choice would be Mary-Jane now but with Andrew not gonna be back for ASM 4 it seems like ASM 3 is more the conclusion to Andrews Spidey arc so it would be weird to bring in MJ only in the final part of that first trilogy after Gwen was the focus in the first two. I also wonder if Emma Stone will be back in the same way that Leary was for ASM 2. It would be great to see her Gwen in ASM 3 again in the form of visions or even flashbacks between her and Peter.

personally I would love if they take the Felicia Character from ASM 2, turn her officially into Felicia Hardy and have her be the female lead in ASM 3 with all the classic and great Spidey and Black cat stuff that I have been dying to see on the big screen for the last 12 years.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Is anyone else disgusted that Spider-man intentionally kills Electro?!? Seriously, he doesn't even care. In fact, he doesn't even act as though anything has happened!

As comic book fans, we assume he'll re-appear in a later movie having reconstitued himself but there is no reason for Peter to think this will happen. If Electro doesn't appear again, the logic is that he is dead.

The narrative in the movie is that peter is trying to insulate his webbing and keeps expoding the batteries. He then uses the same technique to destroy Electro in the final battle.

It wasn't as though the threat was that great. Spider-man couldn't have known about the planes, and surely only May's hospital could be stupid (or cliche'd) enough not to have back-up generators.
    Last edited by exile001; 05-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Spectacular Member

Wasnt perfect, Still enjoyed it more than any Disney/Marvel film.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Is anyone else disgusted that Spider-man intentionally kills Electro?!? Seriously, he doesn't even care. In fact, he doesn't even act as though anything has happened!

As comic book fans, we assume he'll re-appear in a later movie having reconstitued himself but there is no reason for Peter to think this will happen. If Electro doesn't appear again, the logic is that he is dead.

The narrative in the movie is that peter is trying to insulate his webbing and keeps expoding the batteries. He then uses the same technique to destroy Electro in the final battle.

It wasn't as though the threat was that great. Spider-man couldn't have known about the planes, and surely only May's hospital could be stupid (or cliche'd) enough not to have back-up generators.
    I agree, it really irks me, especially because for the rest of the movie his character was quite consistent.

Cracked.com just published a pretty funny article about Spider-Man movies: http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things...ny-damn-sense/

Fantastic Member

I felt like they tried to squeeze too much into it. The whole thing about being a hero is, that you can't always count on just one hero coming out of the woodwork. They attack all at once sometimes. Bad people like to gang up on weaker prey, so that was pretty realistic. At the same time, I would have liked the stuff about his dad to be more streamlined in the third movie instead. Gwen's death was done tastefully, though. The whole third movie is going to be about the lessons learned from the second one. The people who reviewed this on Youtube apparently have no concept of starting threads that will play out later. That's how most movie trilogies work...