Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Ok well. Since I am apparently the only person on this site actually watching this show I will give a quick but spoiler free run down. I am 5 episodes in and this is probably the most original western comic book show I have ever seen. I am really enjoying it. It may not be for everyone but the people who put this together put a lot of passion into it and its been to me really amazing.

I have no idea why this is not getting any press, or write ups or publicity but this thing is really good.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea its too crazy for new management. Im amazed they released it at all. Probably had to. But if people want R rated marvel well this is in your wheelhouse. Heck its hard R.
    For me, it kinda depends on what kind of R. I don't like kiddish cartoons, but I'm not always into 'vulgar just to be vulgar'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    For me, it kinda depends on what kind of R. I don't like kiddish cartoons, but I'm not always into 'vulgar just to be vulgar'

Well you probably wouldn't like this then.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Well you probably wouldn't like this then.
    I don't mind vulgar if it's funny, but I guess that can vary between individuals.

I'm kind of amazed this show fit in Silver Samurai and Fat Cobra but not Sunfire. Like, you'd think to throw in Marvel-based Japanese Superheroes and not the OG Japanese Mutant Superhero?
    spoilers:
    I can understand Akiko lashing out like she did when her only remaining family gets killed in front of her and she hasn't processed all the facts yet, and she's obviously still in grief, but I can't really fathom why she'd become the new Lady Bullseye beyond wanting (undeserved) revenge on Monkey. Like, who is going to train her?
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Ok this is officially the best comic show that no one is talking about. Seriously this is a really good show.

Mighty Member

I finally watched this series, and it's honestly more fun than I was expecting, especially considering the premise.

I liked the pair of Monkey and Bryce, but the latter kind of got on my nerves at times. He got some good development later on, but I think it would've been cooler if he made less appearances. The animation kind of varied in places, sometimes looking stiff and jittery, while other times being very smooth. The visuals are very stylish, though, and it's still an improvement over a lot of other Marvel Animation projects over the last decade. I thought they also did a good job picking the other Marvel characters we see. I know Lady Bullseye replaced the OG Bullseye over an embargo, but she honestly fits this show better. Silver Samurai as an antagonistic hero was also fun.

I'm also glad it wasn't just a wacky comedy like MODOK and actually had some drama and sincerity. I'm honestly questioning how it would've fit with the other shows, aside from a throw-away reference to the plot of MODOK.

One aspect I didn't like was the how Americanized Japan felt at times. I thought Bryce himself was already a way to bridge the Tokyo setting to Americans, but settings like the prison didn't really feel authentic. I guess that's why the season ended with Monkey and Bryce moving to New York City, in addition to going to a more traditional Marvel setting. I wonder if Kingpin's tiny cameo was a tease of a role in season 2.

Biggest issue I've had was Akiko's turn to the dark side. While you could argue the show did hint there was some darkness with her (her approving of vigilantism and murder, that one Punisher comic she read), she knew her uncle was a villain that tried to kill Haruka in desperation. Monkey did originally choose to spare him before then. And her becoming the new Lady Bullseye? When she seemed like a civilian with no fighting skills or anything? Okay sure.

Questionable plots aside, I did like this show. I highly doubt Marvel will want to make more, but it was fun while it lasted.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member

Hey gamer cool that you picked up on this. For me it right now is probably the most under talked and underated marvel project. Its to bad. Maybe in ten years people will be like boy this was a great project.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I liked the pair of Monkey and Bryce, but the latter kind of got on my nerves at times. He got some good development later on, but I think it would've been cooler if he made less appearances. The animation kind of varied in places, sometimes looking stiff and jittery, while other times being very smooth. The visuals are very stylish, though, and it's still an improvement over a lot of other Marvel Animation projects over the last decade. I thought they also did a good job picking the other Marvel characters we see. I know Lady Bullseye replaced the OG Bullseye over an embargo, but she honestly fits this show better. Silver Samurai as an antagonistic hero was also fun.
    I feel like the heart of the show was Monkey and Bryce's banter and playing off with each other, even if Bryce's comments could sometimes be a little much.

Since they used Silver Samurai and Fat Cobra, I wonder what their take on Sunfire would've been like.
    I'm also glad it wasn't just a wacky comedy like MODOK and actually had some drama and sincerity. I'm honestly questioning how it would've fit with the other shows, aside from a throw-away reference to the plot of MODOK.
    Yeah, I saw that TV newscast showing GRUMBLE buying AIM. I remember when these were all supposed to crossover in an "Offenders" show.
    One aspect I didn't like was the how Americanized Japan felt at times. I thought Bryce himself was already a way to bridge the Tokyo setting to Americans, but settings like the prison didn't really feel authentic. I guess that's why the season ended with Monkey and Bryce moving to New York City, in addition to going to a more traditional Marvel setting. I wonder if Kingpin's tiny cameo was a tease of a role in season 2.
    Yeah, that kind of bothered me too. Felt like American writers trying to write Japanese culture and it felt like it could be in America for the amount of difference it made, although it wasn't as bad as other examples.

Haruka probably felt the most authentically Japanese of the entire cast.
    Biggest issue I've had was Akiko's turn to the dark side. While you could argue the show did hint there was some darkness with her (her approving of vigilantism and murder, that one Punisher comic she read), she knew her uncle was a villain that tried to kill Haruka in desperation. Monkey did originally choose to spare him before then. And her becoming the new Lady Bullseye? When she seemed like a civilian with no fighting skills or anything? Okay sure.
    It was probably the most contrived moment in the finale.
    Questionable plots aside, I did like this show. I highly doubt Marvel will want to make more, but it was fun while it lasted.
    I would've definitely loved to have a second season...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This show got renewed for a second season. Marvel will be dropped from the title and 20th century television is taking over production

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...lu-1235315721/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This show got renewed for a second season. Marvel will be dropped from the title and 20th century television is taking over production

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...lu-1235315721/
    The MCU has so little love for the things Jeph Loeb did for Marvel. It’s kind of sad. Removing the Marvel name from a Marvel character? Dang. That’s hardcore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    The MCU has so little love for the things Jeph Loeb did for Marvel. It’s kind of sad. Removing the Marvel name from a Marvel character? Dang. That’s hardcore.
    Eh, so what?

There's this thing called the internet. Removing the name won't change anything. And before this announcement, did anyone really expect a second season?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, so what?

There's this thing called the internet. Removing the name won't change anything. And before this announcement, did anyone really expect a second season?
    I’m just saying, that’s hardcore. Can you name an instance prior to this where Marvel hasn’t stuck it’s name all over a character it owns? I can’t think of one.

It doesn’t make much difference. I’m sure they still own it, but it’s odd.

I’m just saying, that’s hardcore. Can you name an instance prior to this where Marvel hasn’t stuck it’s name all over a character it owns? I can’t think of one.
    Big hero 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Big hero 6.
    That is an example. Of course, Disney’s Big Hero 6 was barely like Marvel’s Big Hero 6, but you’re right.