Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Considering Doug is suicidal, it is possible her powers just show how a person sees themselves, or wishes to see themselves. If she knows it is all an illusion that would explain why she was so nonchalant.
    I like your theory. It would be awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Disclaimer, I haven't read the issue yet so I'm not really able to talk about the subject matter of the issue yet. I'm only posting if I think there's something I could say that's worthwhile regardless.
    Same for me, I haven't been able to read it either.

It wouldn't make much sense for Doug to permanently die this early, but the bigger reason I doubt he'd be dead is that Peter David hasn't had an opportunity to use him much yet. He seems to me like the kind of writer that wants to use a character for a while and let himself, and the readers, get to know the character better before doing anything lasting. On the flipside, it's not unheard of for writers and creators to want to shock people with deaths far sooner than expected. Joss Whedon wanted to have a seemingly main character with opening credits die in the very first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    This is what I think too. It would be weird for PAD to kill Doug off now and when he hinted at Doug being suicidal so obviously he wants to explore that further. I've never seen any writer give something to explore about a character like that and then killing them off immediately after without exploring that at all. Besides Doug was just brought back from two decades of being dead and nobody has done that much with him yet.

No offense meant to Peter David in any way when I say this, but this makes me wonder if perhaps Peter David is thinking and writing in a mode best suited for cartoons and other TV shows but finds he has to cut his material way down to fit into comic book form. He's written for Young Justice, after all.
    Maybe, or maybe it's because he's an old school writer and him being used to writing comics with few more pages per issue. After all comics nowadays are shorter than they've ever been I think. They used to be 20+ pages of story but now it's about 20 pages if you count the covers too.

I can't judge the scene in question, but when it comes to Lorna's awareness of the camera, I still personally think it would work better if she knows. If all there is to it is what we've seen, then I think there was a waste of a big payoff we would've had from getting the shocking discovery at the same time as Lorna. That's not to say the other way of Lorna not knowing can't be done very well, but I personally believe there isn't nearly as much potential in that angle.
    My thoughts exactly!

i just read this issue and while the art is good, i don't think i'll be getting it again. there is not enough draw and i really don't care for seeing mutants acting as security guards. or whatever they are supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i just read this issue and while the art is good, i don't think i'll be getting it again. there is not enough draw and i really don't care for seeing mutants acting as security guards. or whatever they are supposed to be.
    Are there any other aspects of the book that you think might have put you off from wanting to continue reading the book? It's okay if you don't have any other areas to mention or don't feel like taking the time. I'm mainly asking because if a writer or editor is willing to take feedback from readers, I think it helps them to know these things.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Are there any other aspects of the book that you think might have put you off from wanting to continue reading the book? It's okay if you don't have any other areas to mention or don't feel like taking the time. I'm mainly asking because if a writer or editor is willing to take feedback from readers, I think it helps them to know these things.
    sure, i hope this is helpful.

gambit sounds too intelligent at some times, but not intelligent enough at others. for example, he can't think of "mandate" - he's saying things like "he may not be inclined to speak with us" less than a page later.

danger makes fun of warlock for not using personal pronouns, but yet she doesn't know how to use contractions. is this intentional or not, because it isn't clear.

the branding of this book is off-putting. they are x-factor, and they work for this serval industry. but nothing visually connects them to the x-men universe really. they wear little cats on their clothes and it is distracting. i'm not saying they need an x, but they shouldn't have any logo at all if that is the case.

this creep plot with havok is bothersome. i don't like that he's being featured here at all to be perfectly honest with you. if the UA characters are off-limits because of planet x then that is how they should stay. it isn't fair that havok gets to be used to stalk lorna in this book, yet rogue isn't allowed to be used anywhere else.

othewise, i think the dialogue is fine and the mix of characters is interesting. just not a book for me the way it is currently produced.

the branding of this book is off-putting. they are x-factor, and they work for this serval industry. but nothing visually connects them to the x-men universe really. they wear little cats on their clothes and it is distracting. i'm not saying they need an x, but they shouldn't have any logo at all if that is the case.
    Having the title connect the rest of the Marvel Universe I look forward to, I mean the book is perfectly set up to do that as a team that could interact with Stark Industries or the X-Men at any given time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

Alex is being used to push Gambit and Lorna together or to keep Lorna away from Alex by making him look as bad as PAD can...in the end though Alex's characterization in this book could easily just get overlooked or ignored by the next writer...

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Having the title connect the rest of the Marvel Universe I look forward to, I mean the book is perfectly set up to do that as a team that could interact with Stark Industries or the X-Men at any given time.
    it makes them seem like they are working for t'challa. but that is because he's the only rich cat person i can think of. either way, good luck with the book.

I'm still irked Havok is even remotely involved with this title. But I'm glad his control is slipping, and I'm excited for the big reveal.

I haven't really enjoyed this book very much, until this issue. Very poised, all the characters were treated fine, aside from Gambit still stating the obvious constantly. It was perfectly lovely. I knew PAD would turn it around for me. Just wish it had started like this and gone up from there, instead of just now coming to into a decent voice. Anywho...

Can't wait to see Snow's wife again. And I'm excited for Lorna to step up her game - it looks like PAD is starting to get ready for us to see where he's going to take her.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

This is the best issue so far for Lorna's characterization.

Spectacular Member

That looked like it hurt. Between Cypher and missing the cutoff for a free Ethan Van Sciver sketch at my LCS after work today I'm bummed right out. I hope at least that this experience makes Doug dedicate himself to kicking but and not getting destroyed anymore.

gambit sounds too intelligent at some times, but not intelligent enough at others. for example, he can't think of "mandate" - he's saying things like "he may not be inclined to speak with us" less than a page later.
    Agreed. Gambit is hardly the most eloquent speaker in the MU, but it seems out of character for him to be really well spoken in one panel and hur dur dur the next. Also, I'm a little irritated at the misspelling of "Chere". If it was done deliberately to imply a phonetic sound, okay. But if you're gonna do that you may as well take it all the way and pronounce it the way actual New Orleans natives do, which is generally "Cha" or "Sha".

this creep plot with havok is bothersome. i don't like that he's being featured here at all to be perfectly honest with you. if the UA characters are off-limits because of planet x then that is how they should stay. it isn't fair that havok gets to be used to stalk lorna in this book, yet rogue isn't allowed to be used anywhere else.
    THAAAAAANK YEWWWW! Holy double standard, Batman! Totally not fair to Rogue! And here I was finally starting to warm up to Alex after the Uncanny Avengers annual... in X-factor he started out as being a concerned ex-lover, but now I kinda want to kick him in the cajones for sounding like his big brother and being manipulative

I think the reason why he was fumbling for the word mandate was to indicate that he was riled up because he was on a little rant about super groups. So that was Gambit losing his cool for once whereas most times in this title, he is the calm one and the voice of reason.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-07-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticat View Post
    THAAAAAANK YEWWWW! Holy double standard, Batman! Totally not fair to Rogue! And here I was finally starting to warm up to Alex after the Uncanny Avengers annual... in X-factor he started out as being a concerned ex-lover, but now I kinda want to kick him in the cajones for sounding like his big brother and being manipulative
    Come on it's not really a double standard. Having her show up in another title makes it obvious that UA is just one big alt reality clusterfuck since she is dead as fuck in UA. It's not really the same with Havoc being alive in UA.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

What the hell was that Orson Scott Card stuff? Kind of bizarre.

I like PADs Pietro.