Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Default Suicide Squad #2 (Spoilers)

I didn't see a thread for this one. Wow! That was one of the better issues of SS in a long, long time. We got a new character, an awesome entrance by General Zod and...an actual "death" that matters. I laughed out loud a few times during this one as well. Williams is off to a great start

Always Rakzo

Some solid stuff... and a lot of bad. The dialogue and interaction between the characters felt more entertaining overall.

Then comes the bad. They discover the Phantom Zone inside of the organization which had General Zod on it and he immediately killed Captain Boomerang in a pretty anticlimactic way.

Why?

I mean, yeah, this is the Suicide Squad and in premise no member should be safe here but Digger had become such a staple of the team that one would think that he would have a more permanent role in the book, not killed only after a few issues. Sure, he had some decent moments before but they were just mostly focused on how much of a goofball he is.

Jim Lee's artwork here is the saving grace. He's pretty good at creating beautiful characters and action scenes, his style will most certainly get a lot of readers.

Oh, and there's a second story actually focusing on Digger... which is mostly about how much of a buffoon he is by inventing a little story to Amanda Waller about how cool he is. I have said this before, if you're going to kill a character don't just focus on him AFTER you killed him. Take your time with him/her and actually develope a connection to the readers to make them feel something. However, if you really want to follow the other route AT LEAST SHOW SOME COMPELLING ASPECTS ABOUT THE CHARACTER! Digger pretty much appears here as an Australian caricature.

Ivan Reis' art is the highlight just as in the main section. Good looking characters all-around.

This was such a letdown. Say whatever you want about Identity Crisis but the last time that Digger was killed, Brian Meltzer at least made an effort to make him a sympathetic and understandable character. Here, he just went out with a whimper.

I'm still not totally sold on this book. I don't think the structure is very good. The main feature was good until the anticlimatic death, but the back-up was pretty boring. I'd rather have a full issue of the story I'm actually interested in, not fill-in back-ups.

I felt as though this issue was kind of build-up for Justice League vs Suicide Squad, I mean we just saw them gather two characters who are probably there just to fight Cyborg(Hack) and Superman(Zod). It's not entirely a bad thing because I'm actually excited for that event but it just feels so jarring how they are stacking the roster to be able to measure up.

If I can be honest though I'm glad about the Captain Boomerang death, not because the character died but because I'm glad it shows that characters we assume are safe because they've been main stays for so long or were part of the movie have now gone out the window and honestly that's how it should be in my opinion.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I thought this issue was really bad its like the mini's at the end are written by someones else. Easily the worst Issue I've read of Williams' DC work.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

So Captain Boomerang dies before we could see him rejoin The Rogues or fight The Flash. (Sigh) .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Captain Boomerang dies before we could see him rejoin The Rogues or fight The Flash. (Sigh) .
    Has boomerang even had anything to do with The Rogues in the past couple years? I feel as though he hasn't been on it since before the new 52 and they mainly kept him as a member of the Suicide Squad.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, is he actually dead or is he Garth in the second issue of Titans kind of dead?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

This book would benefit a lot without Jim Lee
    I like his art sometimes but aside from the name and selling comics based on popular artists his art has kinda lost its luster
    This issue had a nice plot
    Its the suicide squad so someone has to die but wait now we have a team of a bunch of popular villains and squad staples who will die? Captain Boomerang yeah I'll see how that goes over
    I remember when they killed Deadshot in the new 52 squad only to bring him back to life because reasons
    Still don't think Digger is dead though
    General Zod on the suicide squad seems like an inspired choice but kill him off as soon as you can imo

Katana finally speaks although she is taking the quiet samurai role a bit far. She was never this quiet before must be movie synergy

Didn't like this backup as much as the previous one
    I thought these were supposed to show how they ended up in jail lol

Oh and the squad gains another member a new character called Hack who is apparently a big Harley Quinn fangirl meh. reminds me of misfit but with a better look
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 09-14-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Has boomerang even had anything to do with The Rogues in the past couple years? I feel as though he hasn't been on it since before the new 52 and they mainly kept him as a member of the Suicide Squad.
    I think immediately pre-Flashpoint was the last time he was with The Rogues. I don't think he's fought Flash or had any interaction with The Rogues in the entirety of the New 52.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Honestly, is he actually dead or is he Garth in the second issue of Titans kind of dead?
    Well, he looks pretty dead .

It's a little early for me to believe Boomerang is dead. No matter how it looked.

(Of course, with Rebirth underway, they could bring back his son Owen, a character who never even got a thorough backstory and was abandoned largely unexplored. But I'd hope they wouldn't put him in the Suicide Squad.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Boomerang is off to the Phantom Zone. His boots didn't show anything fleshy or bones, just smoke. Also his ''death'' looks like he's pulled into a portal.

i have a hard time believing he's dead. boomerang just started his movie career last month.

BANNED

How do you kill off a major Suicide Squad character? I bet they'll add two more Batman characters in his place. Rob Williams is the worst, instead of developing a character he kill them off. Had a lame death too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I felt as though this issue was kind of build-up for Justice League vs Suicide Squad, I mean we just saw them gather two characters who are probably there just to fight Cyborg(Hack) and Superman(Zod). It's not entirely a bad thing because I'm actually excited for that event but it just feels so jarring how they are stacking the roster to be able to measure up.

If I can be honest though I'm glad about the Captain Boomerang death, not because the character died but because I'm glad it shows that characters we assume are safe because they've been main stays for so long or were part of the movie have now gone out the window and honestly that's how it should be in my opinion.

Sorry, gotta call bs on the last paragraph, because we all know HQ and Deadshot are safe for life.