Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the initials. Which comic book or show is BBT?
    Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Big Bang Theory
    But there is an Indian man as a lead character. How many other shows have an Indian as a lead character? And there have been several other Indians. His mother, his father, his sister, two women
    his parents fixed him up with. And another character is a Jew. There aren't really all that many shows with an openly Jewish character either. Diversity isn't just having a black character. There are other
    ethnic groups too. Plus there have been black people on the show. The nurse when Howard went into anaphylactic shock, the human relations woman, Neil Degrasse Tyson. And there have been lots
    of black people in the background of scenes. I'd say TBBT is the one breaking stereotypes by having someone of an ethnic group other than a black or Hispanic as a main character.

I read the article and I think the title is correct but more true for comics than film or TV.

I think if you are asian (either south or east) you would have to wait a little longer for good representation. There are attempts happening but it take a while to get it right. I'm positive Amadeus and Kamala will get their chance in the spotlight eventually.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read the article and I think the title is correct but more true for comics than film or TV.

I think if you are asian (either south or east) you would have to wait a little longer for good representation. There are attempts happening but it take a while to get it right. I'm positive Amadeus and Kamala will get their chance in the spotlight eventually.
    Hmm, yeah, Amadeus showed up in the third and fourth seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man as initially a rival to and later ally/friend of Spider-Man, even donning the Iron Spider Armor. Kamala appeared in Season 3 of Avengers Assemble (then renamed Avengers: Ultron Revolution) and became a regular Avenger in Season 4 (renamed Avengers: Secret Wars). As for your point, I would agree that the premise of the article is truer for comics than film or TV because comics are a much more insular medium than film/TV and as such are more resistant to attempts to change familiar and comfortable status quos, especially if those attempts are coming from or perceived to be spearheaded by "outsiders" who don't "understand" comics. That's really what kills progress, the refusal to accept that as familiar and comfortable as the status quo might be, not moving beyond it is a path to stagnation, if not a flat-out creative dead end.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, yeah, Amadeus showed up in the third and fourth seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man as initially a rival to and later ally/friend of Spider-Man, even donning the Iron Spider Armor. Kamala appeared in Season 3 of Avengers Assemble (then renamed Avengers: Ultron Revolution) and became a regular Avenger in Season 4 (renamed Avengers: Secret Wars). As for your point, I would agree that the premise of the article is truer for comics than film or TV because comics are a much more insular medium than film/TV and as such are more resistant to attempts to change familiar and comfortable status quos, especially if those attempts are coming from or perceived to be spearheaded by "outsiders" who don't "understand" comics. That's really what kills progress, the refusal to accept that as familiar and comfortable as the status quo might be, not moving beyond it is a path to stagnation, if not a flat-out creative dead end.
    The article was more about live action so my comments aim were towards that. I'm sure eventually they will get a live action debut it just won't be anytime soon.

BANNED

Big Bang Theory
    Ah, the show that works so hard to make you hate every single last character in it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Ah, the show that works so hard to make you hate every single last character in it.
    TBF, it's more likely in this case that there are some viewers who work so hard to hate every last character in it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    TBF, it's more likely in this case that there are some viewers who work so hard to hate every last character in it.
    I have not managed to make it through an entire episode. I tried twice.

BANNED

I think we all need to reach a point where, when our feelings are polar opposite from enough people that make a show #1 for years, we need to consider that it's us, not them.

BANNED

I think we all need to reach a point where, when our feelings are polar opposite from enough people that make a show #1 for years, we need to consider that it's us, not them.
    people like trash

American Idol was #1 for years

success is not an indicator of quality

these are the same people that have kept the Kardashians on TV for near a decade now

BANNED

people like trash

And you are certain American Idol was trash for what verifiable reason, exactly?

BANNED

And you are certain American Idol was trash for what verifiable reason, exactly?
    you dont become a performer by standing in line for 8 hours and hope Paula Abdul likes the way you sing a song you didn't write

I have watched the show since it started. I have watched every single episode. I watch reruns of two episodes almost every day on MyTV, and also sometimes a couple hours worth on TBS.
    It is one of the few programs I can laugh out loud at. And I put my nerd cred as high as anyone else. I have a degree in physics, have worked on probes that that have landed on Mars and gone
    to asteroids, and even have an asteroid named after me, lest you think I am just one of the ignorant masses. My handle is the last space probe I worked on before I retired.

Basically it makes some people feel superior to hate on what the unwashed masses like, but all it does is make them sound bitter.

people like trash

success is not an indicator of quality

these are the same people that have kept the Kardashians on TV for near a decade now
    Show like Game of Thrones have also been on for years. Is Game of Thrones trash too? What shows aren't considered trash or are all shows on TV trash?

you dont become a performer by standing in line for 8 hours and hope Paula Abdul likes the way you sing a song you didn't write
    If singers could only become popular by singing songs they wrote we would have never had Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Johnny Cash, among others.

I know there was the backlash last year and a growing movement with Asian American actors and them speaking out about being "whitewashed" in Hollywood. Dr. Strange, The Last Airbender and Ghosts in the Shell saw plenty of backlash from Asian American fans, reviewers and actors for casting White actors in roles that were originally Asian characters.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Am_Groot View Post
    Many of those same people say they would have no problem with a black Superman. Would they be OK with a white Black Panther, Falcon or War Machine?
    To have a "white" Black Panther is like having an Asian American actor play Michael Corleone in a remake of The Godfather Movies. It wouldn't work because the character's background is part of the narrative of the character.

I know with me, MY POINT about a Black Superman was simply that it mostly likely would never happen. People are not ready for THAT kind of change. And I don't expect it either.

In fact, I never think nor expect characters like Superman, Batman, Supergirl, Captain America, Wonder Woman, etc., to be presented as non-white. I like who I like and I support who I like and if there are characters that I want to support to make sure they get exposure, I try to do it.