Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really loved Brie Larson and Jude Law. Wanted way more of all that and a lot less of all the connective tissue to other Marvel stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I really loved Brie Larson and Jude Law. Wanted way more of all that and a lot less of all the connective tissue to other Marvel stuff.
    The movie was bogged down quite a bit by these connections. I think it would have flowed better as its own thing, but that's just me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The movie was bogged down quite a bit by these connections. I think it would have flowed better as its own thing, but that's just me.
    Yeah I agree. Nick Fury's role could have been reduced just a bit and been more effective. Coulson didn't need any more than a small cameo. All the other stuff too, it just needlessly bogs it down.

The main meat of the story is great and Carol rocks- just give us more of that! Brie Larson is SO GOOD I just want more of her story.

I walked away happy. (And to the question of would you pay to go again? I already have.)

Though I was musing, it also felt a little strange. It was a reimagining, like we knew it would be, so to be so intimately familiar with the source material (in a way above and beyond the other marvel movies, for me) and yet to be unfamiliar at the same time...

... yeah, it felt strange. (And I'm not meaning for that to be a criticism. That's purely a musing.)

I think it embodied the spirit of who Carol is. Cocky, impulsive, warm...

spoilers:
    ... and often kind of lost, despite being so self-assured
    end of spoilers

And I find myself already yearning for the sequel. I just spent two hours watching the actualization of Carol Danvers. Now she's here and I want to see what she can really do.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

I kinda both llike and dislike the handling of Skrulls, I am happy they don't go with the generic evil Skrull route.
    But making them underpowered refugees kinda limit future use of them.
    I mean, they are supposed to be a Galactic civilization that can stand toe to toe to Kree Empire. And I expected morally grey depiction of both sides.
    But Kree just end up being the Empire from Star Wars, the most powerful and evil of all without rivals. (Xandar may count, but again, Ronan invaded their capital with one ship.)
    Yeah, I know it took place in 90s, but 20 plus years is not enough to let Skrulls develop as a civilization I think, we may still get ugly friendly alien Skrulls, but their culture and darker side could be lost.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    For those that saw it and liked it, would you pay to go see it a second time?
    I would. I actually think it's a movie that will play better on second viewing. Right now, I'd give it a B, edging towards a B+.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah I agree. Nick Fury's role could have been reduced just a bit and been more effective.
    Carol and Fury working together was actually one of the aspects I enjoyed most. I thought Larson and Jackson made for a great "buddy cop" duo.

Captain Marvel: The need-to-know on MCU's latest hero
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47483787
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I had a funny thought late last night.

It's come out in interviews now that Marvel had signed Brie Larson a full year before they announced it... even before she won her Oscar.

And now it's kind of hilarious to me how much time we spent speculating about who would play Carol when for so much of that time, it was already a done deal. (Especially given that Brie's name wasn't one that came up too much in the fancasting.)

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    spoilers:

I kinda both llike and dislike the handling of Skrulls, I am happy they don't go with the generic evil Skrull route.
    But making them underpowered refugees kinda limit future use of them.
    I mean, they are supposed to be a Galactic civilization that can stand toe to toe to Kree Empire. And I expected morally grey depiction of both sides.
    But Kree just end up being the Empire from Star Wars, the most powerful and evil of all without rivals. (Xandar may count, but again, Ronan invaded their capital with one ship.)
    Yeah, I know it took place in 90s, but 20 plus years is not enough to let Skrulls develop as a civilization I think, we may still get ugly friendly alien Skrulls, but their culture and darker side could be lost.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, I suspect the decision to make them misunderstood refugees was politically motivated (a use of allegory which has a long tradition in the sci-fi/fantasy genre). I could be wrong, but this is my guess. I'm not sure the Skrull are the best candidates for such an allegoric role though given their insidious comic book nature/history.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.

spoilers:
    Well, I suspect the decision to make them misunderstood refugees was politically motivated (a use of allegory which has a long tradition in the sci-fi/fantasy genre). I could be wrong, but this is my guess. I'm not sure the Skrull are the best candidates for such an allegoric role though given their insidious comic book nature/history.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    But at one point the Skrulls were home world less and wandering around the stars. These one never said they were not dominating, just dominated by the Kree. They could still become the warfaring race we are used to.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    For those that saw it and liked it, would you pay to go see it a second time?

And don't be stingy...bounce over to the Monica Rambeau appreciation thread and share your thoughts on her mother's portrayal in the movie.
    I may but the thing I REALLY disliked is spoilers:
    how she is SO over powered. That needs to be tempered down a bit. And I hope some her power spills over to Monica...
    end of spoilers

Remember that animatic for a pitched Captain Marvel cartoon that canceled? Well, this goes into more detail about it:

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    spoilers:
    But at one point the Skrulls were home world less and wandering around the stars. These one never said they were not dominating, just dominated by the Kree. They could still become the warfaring race we are used to.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Sure they could but they could just as easily not be. I think this was the wrong choice for the MCU, as the allegory is VERY OBVIOUS no subtlety involved whatsoever, but time will tell.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-08-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I may but the thing I REALLY disliked is spoilers:
    how she is SO over powered. That needs to be tempered down a bit. And I hope some her power spills over to Monica...
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I disliked that aspect as well. MCU Captain Marvel is one of the most op characters since Goku, IMO, lol.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I disliked that aspect as well. MCU Captain Marvel is one of the most op characters since Goku, IMO, lol.
    end of spoilers
    That is one of better aspect of the character, How many female characters are that? Superman is designed the same exact way