Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who is the "Stan Lee" of DC Comics?

Does anyone know who the Stan lee of DC comics is?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

DC never really had a central figure like Stan Lee, but if I had to pick somebody, it'd be Julius Schwartz.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Julius Schwartz. He was responsible for much of DC's Silver Age.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

DC doesn't have an equivalent. But yes, Julius Schwartz is probably the closest to that kind of long-term central influence.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

My favorite Julie Schwartz story was from Jim Shooter. I guess he borrowed 50 cents one day and Julie wouldn't let him pay him back and spent the rest of his life telling people Shooter owed him money

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    My favorite Julie Schwartz story was from Jim Shooter. I guess he borrowed 50 cents one day and Julie wouldn't let him pay him back and spent the rest of his life telling people Shooter owed him money
    HAH ha! Love it!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Bob Kane, of course.

Dc did not have Stan Lee which is probably why DC has been trailing Marvel since the bronze age. Since the bronze age, DC has been trying to copy Marvel's better characterizations but up to now DC still has no genius like Stan Lee or William Shakespeare. DC does have lots of idiot managers.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-27-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Definitely Julius Schwartz.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc did not have Stan Lee which is probably why DC has been trailing Marvel since the bronze age. Since the bronze age, DC has been trying to copy Marvel's better characterizations but up to now DC still has no genius like Stan Lee or William Shakespeare. DC does have lots of idiot managers.
    If that helps you sleep at night. Most of us aren't so partisan.

Considering that Steve Dikto, Jack Kirby, Steve Englehart and other big names for Marvel have worked at DC after they left Marvel, probably points to more than a "lead and follow" game. Stan Lee has been and has remained loyal to Marvel for 50+ years. I think he only dipped his toes into DC once back in 2001.

Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko worked briefly at DC and their DC work was probably ahead of their time and currently DC does not seem smart enough on how to update the DC works of Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Steve Englehart had brief memorable runs on Justice League, Detective Comics and Mister Miracle. I grew up on the Steve Englehart Justice League and during the bronze age, I did not enjoy the work of the writers that followed Steve Englehart. There was more energy right after Crisis on Infinite Earths. The New 52 was not as innovative as post-coie probably bec of the dumb editors. DCYou had some innovative titles but it also relied heavily on gimmicks like Superman on jeans, Robo batman and the lanternless Green Lantern so it is a miracle that the current dc managers have not been fired yet.
    2 of the current icons Barry Allen and Hal Jordan comes from the silver age work of Julius Schwartz altho Julius was no Stan Lee.
    Dc does not know how to fix the old properties like Superman and has ruined many of the other properties bought from other companies over the years. The current popular Arrow TV show stems from the work of post coie Mike Grell who also had a Black Canary with no super power canary cry. The New 52 Justice League founders with Cyborg did not come from comics professionals but from the Smallville TV show Justice League which had Cyborg.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-27-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Fantastic Member

Someone who claims credit for creating everything, even though it was a collaberative effort? No DC doesn't have anyone like that.

If Stan Lee could draw, he might really have been able to do everything himself.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    If Stan Lee could draw, he might really have been able to do everything himself.
    Uh, yeah, no. There are known examples of characters and concepts that were all Kirby. For example, even Stan Lee has said that Silver Surfer was entirely Kirby's idea. A lot of the things that came out of the Kirby/Lee pairing were contributed mostly by Kirby. I'm not saying Stan didn't pull his own weight, but like Radix said, it was a collaborative effort.

I am not an expert on marvel comics altho Stan Lee probably was responsible for the characterization of Silver Surfer. DC silver age had mostly heroes with no characterization and dc has been trying to catch up with Marvel in characterization since the bronze age. One purpose of the New 52 reboot was supposed to give better characterization for each hero and each villain. During the bronze age, my impression is that Julius was no Stan Lee and Marv was no Chris Claremont. In more recent times, DC has also been left behind by the Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel is already busy working on the Inhumans franchise.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-27-2016 at 11:59 PM.