Page 217 of 750 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317717 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by XJlock View Post
    Shuri potentially being redundant is not T'Challa's problem though. It is his birthright to have an incredible intellect thanks to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby decisions onto the aspects of his character.
    Shuri being redudent isn't T'CHalla's problem... it's marvels and Disneys problem, if they want to push the Shuri character particularly to young girls. Thus they did what they did. And from what I can tell, it worked out pretty well.

There's nothing in stone that says they can't both be intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Shuri imo didn't need a role. Every Xman doesn't have a role and everyone of them has fans. Og shuri was much cooler than mcu Shuri. Mcu Shuri is cute...funny ..ect ect but i prefer my Shuri to be a ferocious warrior. She was fine. But now we have to deal with this Science thing they created that ALREADY is becoming the new default stays in all forms of Media. Meaning of slightly above average intelligence Tchalla is the new norm

Attachment 96219

Here he is in Marvel Strike Force asking his kid sister what to do next with this confusing science thingy.
    That's a problem for sure. But it's something that can be fixed very easily. TChalla is a super genius but he has never been the science type like Reed. He can keep up with Reed no problem and talk shop. But his genius has always been More of a Jack of all trades type. That's what needs to be highlighted. Again Disney and marvel simply needs to follow panther quests model.

I don't get feel like the MCU TChalla has been relegated to not being a super genius as he has only had one solo movie. And it's very much possible to easily showcase his intellect without having to show him in a lab. Or they can if they wanted. There could easily be a scene where TChalla is tinkering in a lab and be shown that he does that from time to time to clear his mind of kingly duties

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    That's a problem for sure. But it's something that can be fixed very easily. TChalla is a super genius but he has never been the science type like Reed. He can keep up with Reed no problem and talk shop. But his genius has always been More of a Jack of all trades type. That's what needs to be highlighted. Again Disney and marvel simply needs to follow panther quests model.

I don't get feel like the MCU TChalla has been relegated to not being a super genius as he has only had one solo movie. And it's very much possible to easily showcase his intellect without having to show him in a lab. Or they can if they wanted. There could easily be a scene where TChalla is tinkering in a lab and be shown that he does that from time to time to clear his mind of kingly duties
    You’re right, especially on the last sentence. The whole Shuri being super intelligent thing shouldn’t hurt T’Challa as long as it’s made clear he’s no dummy. They need to differentiate their areas of expertise and show T’Challa talking with Reed and Stark like relative equals.

That being said, this is why I don’t entirely hate the Griot direction Coates went in, because giving Shuri a different skillset on top of the intelligence makes her more distinctive. Coates obviously didn’t do it justice but I think there’s room to make Shuri a magi-tech fighter so there’s less overlap between their abilities. T’Challa would be more powerful but she’d have her abstract thinking/mystic knowledge to draw on.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can't really compare replacing a US president with an imposter to legitimately challenging T'Challa for leadership though and legitimately becoming ruler of Wakanda. The former has a super villain working outside the system to get into power... the later is Killmonger doing something he technically has every right to do.

Though again, to Wakanda's credit they were ready for it. In the comics there is a system in place to deal with people like Killmonger, or frankly anyone outside of the Royal Family. Because the game is somewhat rigged, there is a system in place to deal with undesirable outcomes. US can't legally do things like poisonous herbs... but that's the upside to a monarchy I suppose. They can do whatever the heck they want.
    Remember, T'Challa did not know that Killmonger would have been killed by the herb and BP even tried to help him. Also Killmonger had political control over the clans and the military as Black Panther before he attempted to take the herb in order to gain the title of king. He wanted the title to spite T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    Remember, T'Challa did not know that Killmonger would have been killed by the herb and BP even tried to help him. Also Killmonger had political control over the clans and the military as Black Panther before he attempted to take the herb in order to gain the title of king. He wanted the title to spite T'Challa.
    Certainly it's by no means a perfect safety net. A sucessful challenger can in theory sidestep getting poisoned by the herb by choosing not to take it... it obviously won't work on Killmonger a second time. And depending on how loose Killmongers lips are, it might never work again. But it was something, and in the least it did work when it needed to in order to prevent potentially undesirable results.

Yes and there is another system in place. You take the HSH and then are judged by bast and if your not deemed worthy you get eaten (only special case was shuri).

then mayberry fucked that up by letting Doom get by Bast

But yes, Bast ultimately can rig the system anyway the writer wants and its kind of an ultimate check ppoint
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    then mayberry fucked that up by letting Doom get by Bast

But yes, Bast ultimately can rig the system anyway the writer wants and its kind of an ultimate check ppoint
    Course, Bast was fine with NuKillmonger creating a Galactic Empire in space (at least until he turned on her), so she might not be the best judge of character.

Why are we even talking about this?

"Marvel Comics needs to do this…"

"Marvel Studios shouldn't have done that…"

It's amazing how many unpublished creators we have on this thread that know for CERTAIN how best to write either 616! or MCU!T'challa.

As opposed to, you know, a bunch of fans who assume that what they like is what everybody else likes...

(I am, of course, excluding the esteemed Mr. Thorne, since he's actually DONE this isht.)

Did Coogler make a mistake downplaying T'Challa's scientific achievements and giving similar skills to Shuri? I'm sure many of you have reasons to believe so.

I, OTOH, have 1.3 billion reasons why you might be wrong.

The same goes for his portrayal of Killmonger, the Wakandan form of government, the challenge day concept, and anything else you might quibble about.

As for the comics... meh. BP is so important to the publishing arm that the main title isn't even on the announced release schedule for the next two months.

(Oddly enough, Agents of Wakanda #8 IS... but not until July 8th. And that's part 2 of an existing arc)

I shudder to think how much longer we'll have to suffer under Coates' literary pretensions.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    You’re right, especially on the last sentence. The whole Shuri being super intelligent thing shouldn’t hurt T’Challa as long as it’s made clear he’s no dummy. They need to differentiate their areas of expertise and show T’Challa talking with Reed and Stark like relative equals.

That being said, this is why I don’t entirely hate the Griot direction Coates went in, because giving Shuri a different skillset on top of the intelligence makes her more distinctive. Coates obviously didn’t do it justice but I think there’s room to make Shuri a magi-tech fighter so there’s less overlap between their abilities. T’Challa would be more powerful but she’d have her abstract thinking/mystic knowledge to draw on.
    I see it as, for the MCU (since the mu has TChalla doing plenty of super genius talk) that shuri should be very much reliant on tech, whereas TChalla uses it like priest TChalla, or hudlins TChalla, it's a supplemental, and he uses it in unorthodox ways to show how intuitive he is and his ingenuity. Show me how he can go to radio shack and whip out some super tech, show me how he uses the Kinect energy to turn a car into a bomb etc etc. Show me how TChalla doesn't need a lab to show he's a super genius.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Why are we even talking about this?

"Marvel Comics needs to do this…"

"Marvel Studios shouldn't have done that…"

It's amazing how many unpublished creators we have on this thread that know for CERTAIN how best to write either 616! or MCU!T'challa.

As opposed to, you know, a bunch of fans who assume that what they like is what everybody else likes...

(I am, of course, excluding the esteemed Mr. Thorne, since he's actually DONE this isht.)

Did Coogler make a mistake downplaying T'Challa's scientific achievements and giving similar skills to Shuri? I'm sure many of you have reasons to believe so.

I, OTOH, have 1.3 billion reasons why you might be wrong.

The same goes for his portrayal of Killmonger, the Wakandan form of government, the challenge day concept, and anything else you might quibble about.

As for the comics... meh. BP is so important to the publishing arm that the main title isn't even on the announced release schedule for the next two months.

(Oddly enough, Agents of Wakanda #8 IS... but not until July 8th. And that's part 2 of an existing arc)

I shudder to think how much longer we'll have to suffer under Coates' literary pretensions.
    The comics side I feel that alot of what fans want can kinda gel together since when you break it down to it's most basic form, they want a strong portrayal of TChalla at his best, highlighting all of his aspects like Priest, Hudlin, Liss, and McDuffie did.

As for the MCU. Really I don't need to go over it again, because I laid it out what I would like to see in my above post. I don't need a lab scene, i want him showing it like he has by Priest and BPQ

As for the MCU. Really I don't need to go over it again, because I laid it out what I would like to see in my above post. I don't need a lab scene, i want him showing it like he has by Priest and BPQ
    That's the funniest part of this mess for me.

Now, I'm old and borderline crazy, but I can't recall T'Challa inventing ANYTHING in the Priest or Hudlin runs. And, of course, in the Liss run, he had to cobble together his tech from Radio Shack, which to me is more MacGyver than a master scientist.

Indeed, which storyline of that era had BP inventing things solo the most?

Where did we get the "nowhere room", and "shadow physics"?

The MAYBERRY run. I.e. the worst run of the modern era, until the Age of Coates™.

Just a little food for thought…

Now, I'm old and borderline crazy, but I can't recall T'Challa inventing ANYTHING in the Priest or Hudlin runs. And, of course, in the Liss run, he had to cobble together his tech from Radio Shack, which to me is more MacGyver than a master scientist.

The MAYBERRY run. I.e. the worst run of the modern era, until the Age of Coates™.

He isn't show inventing, he just remarks on a device used in the story saying he made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    He isn't show inventing, he just remarks on a device used in the story saying he made it.
    I really need to track down the Liss run, one of these days. :shrug:

In any case, I guess I'm more interested in seeing "T'Challa the Strategist" than "T'Challa the Scientist".

But that's just my opinion.

The techno jungle maybe and the daggers and the boots? And then in hudlins run when. He's fighting Doom he talks about designing the light armor at age 12. But I don't need to SEE him do it really, just mention it, or show him pulling a liss or hell even an Ewing when he fried Thanos brain with his destroyed vibranium prison.

The techno jungle maybe and the daggers and the boots? And then in hudlins run when. He's fighting Doom he talks about designing the light armor at age 12. But I don't need to SEE him do it really, just mention it, or show him pulling a liss or hell even an Ewing when he fried Thanos brain with his destroyed vibranium prison.
    The techno jungle predates Priest, actually. As for the new outfit, Priest credited that to the "Wakandan Design Group" on his website.