Page 230 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1301802202262272282292302312322332342402803307301230 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am not. I am an older white male. The only thing I get from cops are smiles. A nice cup of white privileged in the morning.
    You're far less likely than a black person to be killed by the police, but statistically you are still more likely to be killed by a cop than a serial killer, terrorist, or mass shooter.

Police Killed More People Last Year Than Mass Shooters
    Last edited by Rosa Luxemburg; 06-08-2020 at 06:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    John Oliver video
    Full video of the clip shown at the end.

It is a wonder they did not hand out bonuses. Perhaps they did. The bonus of being white in Ferguson meant nigh-immunity from plunder. The bane of being black in Ferguson meant nigh-inevitable subjugation under plunder. Plunder is neither abstract nor theoretical. Plunder injures, maims, and destroys. Indeed the very same people who were calling on protestors to remain nonviolent were, every hour, partner to brutality committed under the color of law:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rguson/386893/[/I]
    That **** is crushing. The sickening part is that my initial feelings were that these folks were essentially, getting taxed twice ... directly, indirectly or by proxy. Not that these brothas and sistas have dealt generationally under this structure in Ferguson, and not even on a basic humanitarian level... Compartmentalizing the bullshit is a unique ability we've had to develop cause, ya know, there weren't always cell phone cameras or videos of things.
    Last edited by Surf; 06-08-2020 at 07:23 AM. Reason: weren't
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    You're far less likely than a black person to be killed by the police, but statistically you are still more likely to be killed by a cop than a serial killer, terrorist, or mass shooter.

Police Killed More People Last Year Than Mass Shooters
    But if we look within that stat, we must look at WHO they shoot. More people die from breast cancer each year than prostate. But I doubt I should be concerned about breast cancer.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But if we look within that stat, we must look at WHO they shoot. More people die from breast cancer each year than prostate. But I doubt I should be concerned about breast cancer.
    They disproportionately shoot and kill black people.

Some 590 Americans were killed in mass shootings last year, according to MassShootingTracker.org, which counts events in which four or more people are shot. But that figure almost pales in comparison to the number of Americans subjected to gun violence by law enforcement.

According to the Washington Post, law enforcement officers shot and killed 987 Americans in 2017 alone. Despite constituting 12 percent of the population, nearly a quarter of those shot were black Americans. Of those 223 black Americans, all but nine were black men.
    It's not that white people need to live in fear of cops or that they are likely to be killed by cops, but that while cops are said to exist to protect people, they are actually more likely to kill you than things we identify as threats.

We identify serial killers, terrorists, and mass shooters as threats to the public. The police need to viewed as a threat to the public, as they cause more violence.
    Last edited by Rosa Luxemburg; 06-08-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That **** is crushing. The sickening part is that my initial feelings were that these folks were essentially, getting taxed twice ... directly, indirectly or by proxy. Not that these brothas and sistas have dealt generationally under this structure in Ferguson, and not even on a basic humanitarian level... Compartmentalizing the bullshit is a unique ability we've had to develop cause, ya know, there we're always cell phone cameras or videos of things.
    I got my share of dishonest "broken tail light" and "no bike light" and "jaywalking" tickets on campuses and in cities all over the country.

Like the cop in Ferguson said -- they'll find a way if they want to.

Imagine my surprise to see during my year in England that most cops didn't carry guns or try to intimidate those they protect.

Not so much surprising though as a sign of a civilized society versus one that sees guns and abuse as a sign of manhood.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-08-2020 at 09:51 AM.

I got my share of dishonest "broken tail light" and "no bike light" and "jaywalking" tickets on campuses and in suburban areas all over the country.

1000%. I'm the other way, I've always felt I might can have an idea, where I'm not welcome, maybe. Feeling' tight within the city limits is one thing, takes way more energy to keep ones Spider-sense workin' 30 miles out all the time. I think back and I've declined jobs back when I was younger (tuh, the 90's) cause no way in hell I'm gonna be the only one way out there if it gets hot. For what?! A decent living wage for a young guy... pshhh.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

1000%. I'm the other way, I've always felt I might can have an idea, where I'm not welcome, maybe. Feeling' tight within the city limits is one thing, takes way more energy to keep ones Spider-sense workin' 30 miles out all the time. I think back and I've declined jobs back when I was younger (tuh, the 90's) cause no way in hell I'm gonna be the only one way out there if it gets hot. For what?! A decent living wage for a young guy... pshhh.
    I had to edit it to cities instead of just suburbs since it happened everywhere from big cities in Cali to medium sized towns in Texas.

Didn't even think about stopping and/or living in those "sundown towns" -- you don't need a guidebook to know those when you see them.

Detailed a lot of it in a previous discussion with Mets -- including a recent ticket that I got from cops who pulled me over claiming I turned out of the wrong lane (the right lane was blocked by construction) while I was checking out a college campus. Pulled me over for twenty five minutes running my ID while accusing me of stealing my car, having fake registration, and having something "in the glove compartment".

Harassed me for around half an hour then asked me if I had any more "problems" before giving me a ticket.

Ironically, I saw the cops before that and instinctively thought to turn onto another street even if it was out of my way. I was in a convertible and in a town known for that kind of tomfoolery (cops had just shot and killed a young black man the night before claiming he had a weapon -- which may or may not have been true) but I decided to take the risk that they weren't going to profile me and there wouldn't be any problems in that regard.

Lesson learned -- next time I'll at least turn on an audio recorder.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-08-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

There's talk in Washington circles about Trump wanting to do a speech about racism, though I don't know how much truth there is about that rumor. If it turns out to be true, that would be perhaps the ultimate in hypocrisy from Caramel Caligula, I mean, ****, that would be like Hitler giving a speech about anti-semitism.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Looking at this press conference with Pelosi and the Dems, with them all wearing African scarves... it's really reminding me of the SNL skit during the OJ trial where Johnny Cochran was denying playing the race card- and then the camera pans over to the defense table, where all of the white attorneys are wearing various African garb.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Looking at this press conference with Pelosi and the Dems, with them all wearing African scarves... it's really reminding me of the SNL skit during the OJ trial where Johnny Cochran was denying playing the race card- and then the camera pans over to the defense table, where all of the white attorneys are wearing various African garb.
    I think it says just as much -- if not more -- that "minorities" wear European clothes all of the time and no one thinks anything of it.

Lest people claim this is by choice or virtue of "higher" culture let's not forget that Africans and indigenous people were brutalized for exercising their traditions (incuding speaking their native languages) and thus often couldn't hold on to them in "normal" European/American society.

Even today "minorities" are often criticized and ostracized in professional and educational circles for wearing "traditional" clothing or hairstyles.

Said assimilation is the result of centuries of breaking up families and even selling off (slave) children -- not choice.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-08-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Ultimate Member

Got one for you...

A man who went to high school with my Dad-owns a huge part of land in Bryan College Station-folks pay HIM to dig up dirt on his land and even the school district paid him to built the new high school near/on his land.

He also does horse shows-he and hsi wife went to an auction for I think cattle. He goes to the bathroom. Comes back and they were trying to auction off his wife.

Mind you his wife is about the size of Queen Latifah-Living Single era. They some how got her up there to be bidded on.

A bid was made-by her husband for zero dollars. He was told they were just joking.

Mind you this was 6 years before Obama was even thought of running for President.

The stories about College Station/Bryan Texas.... Yet they still managed to build an African American Museum and opened it debt free in 2007.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    There's talk in Washington circles about Trump wanting to do a speech about racism, though I don't know how much truth there is about that rumor. If it turns out to be true, that would be perhaps the ultimate in hypocrisy from Caramel Caligula, I mean, ****, that would be like Hitler giving a speech about anti-semitism.
    If he does that he will 100% claim it was the greatest speech on race ever. “Martin Luther King Jr is looking smiling and has to be happy after those words folks”

Incredible Member

I almost heard him! You should just add a Big or bigly and it will be perfect, maybe a little too articulate. And don't forget to begin by "People say that..."!

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I got my share of dishonest "broken tail light" and "no bike light" and "jaywalking" tickets on campuses and in cities all over the country.

Imagine my surprise to see during my year in England that most cops didn't carry guns or try to intimidate those they protect.

Not so much surprising though as a sign of a civilized society versus one that sees guns and abuse as a sign of manhood.
    The reason why England doesn't have intimidation tactics is because of the strict gun laws, and depending on where you go in the UK they can be just as bad as their American counterparts. Thing is a lot of their bad stuff was done earlier during a time.

Extra credits covered the UK police. And yes they did use those tactics and probably still do in their minority communities. It's just that we dont see it as much in the States.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XvMQY_y4qx8
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-08-2020 at 10:12 AM.