Page 234 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1341842242302312322332342352362372382442843347341234 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 75153

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Perhaps if a slogan is not meant to be taken literally, there was a major communications error in the adoption of said slogan.
    Mission Accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Mission Accomplished.
    And Democrats took the Senate in 2006. Obama won 365 electoral votes against the Republican nominee in 2008.

Political opponents are going to take advantage of bad slogans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Not sure why the far right think removing Confederate statues means we're rewriting history. The history is still there, we're just not going to honor people that wanted to keep slavery thriving.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I'm not sure what you are bragging about.

Press Sec. Kayleigh McEnany: "Mitt Romney can say three words outside on Pennsylvania Avenue but I would note this -- that President Trump won 8% of the black vote." https://t.co/Jr9VWooWSI

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Not sure why the far right think removing Confederate statues means we're rewriting history. The history is still there, we're just not going to honor people that wanted to keep slavery thriving.
    The statues were put up in an attempt to rewrite history in the first place. Tearing them down is course correction.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The statues were put up in an attempt to rewrite history in the first place. Tearing them down is course correction.
    This is correct. Very few of those statues are actually 'historical'. Most of them are 1960s era BS put up as part of a message directed at those marching for Civil Rights and a defense of Lost Cause nonsense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This is an interesting debate here, because it could be a slippery slope, and I don’t mean that in a hyperbolic way. How many of the founding fathers were slave owners or slavery defenders? And think about how many places and things are named after them!

BANNED

And Democrats took the Senate in 2006. Obama won 365 electoral votes against the Republican nominee in 2008.

Political opponents are going to take advantage of bad slogans.
    And I guess my point was that not all slogans are meant to be taken literally. Pro-life doesn’t actually mean pro-life because those people are often anti-women and anti-childcare. They’re just pro-birth.

This is an interesting debate here, because it could be a slippery slope, and I don’t mean that in a hyperbolic way. How many of the founding fathers were slave owners or slavery defenders? And think about how many places and things are named after them!
    The founding fathers created a country, those statues celebrated people who tried to split the country in two.

The issue regarding who owned slaves and how respond to that is a topic that will be debated and decided at some point in time. But for now the key issue with the Confederate statues is what they represent, and the underlying reason why they were erected in the first place.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

And I guess my point was that not all slogans are meant to be taken literally. Pro-life doesn’t actually mean pro-life because those people are often anti-women and anti-childcare. They’re just pro-birth.
    "Pro-life" isn't a slogan. Slogans must be simple and transparent otherwise people will misunderstand and it will be easier for the opposition to make it a straw man and get people who should be allies to be on their side. If you're explaining in politics you're losing.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 06-08-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Perhaps if a slogan is not meant to be taken literally, there was a major communications error in the adoption of said slogan.
    I've been hearing that a lot today, and I honestly can't believe that's a talking point that's taking off after all the years we've had to listen to people go in television to explain "what he really means" every time the President opens his mouth to vomit gibberish and racism.

I imagine a lot of people chanting to defund the police mean it completely literally. To continue the pro-life analogy, Conservatives chanting to defund Planned Parenthood know exactly what they're doing and mean exactly what they say.
    Last edited by JCAll; 06-08-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The founding fathers created a country, those statues celebrated people who tried to split the country in two
    That's some cute view on history right there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    As Trevor Noah said tonight, "You want to learn about history, read a fucking book!" Or to paraphrase Indiana Jones, "The statues belong in a museum!"
    Watching television is not an activity.