Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nancy Drew CW series

You can watch the whole first season for free on the CW app. The first couple episodes didn't blow me away, but pandemic so what else is there to do?

I enjoyed it more as we got deeper into the season. The characters are all likeable and feel fully fleshed out. It wanders into the supernatural pretty quick vs straight detective show but I liked it. Guess season 2 was green lit so the bad reviews I saw were not universal. I think it's worth a look.

Extraordinary Member

There were rumors that the CW may try to make a modern adaptation of the Hardy Boys as well.

I have never read Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. I have vague memory of an old Hardy boys show from the 70s and can picture one of the actors. I think that's why I was surprised how supernatural Nancy Drew was. I'd give Hardy Boys a shot though. The CW app is pretty great for catching shows I miss not being at home (cord cutter with a Roku and Antenna)

Do Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys live in the same town?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have never read Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. I have vague memory of an old Hardy boys show from the 70s and can picture one of the actors. I think that's why I was surprised how supernatural Nancy Drew was. I'd give Hardy Boys a shot though. The CW app is pretty great for catching shows I miss not being at home (cord cutter with a Roku and Antenna)

Do Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys live in the same town?
    In the books, they live in the same universe, but not in the same town.

I'm behind on the show, but there's been rampant speculation that one of the characters on the show is really Joe Hardy.

I liked the actress who played Nancy, but I was expecting Riverdale/Scooby Doo and not all the supernatural stuff.

I dig the show.
    The supernatural aspects give it its own flavor and differentiate it from Riverdale (which I also dig). A Hardy Boys series would interest me enough to check it out.

I read Archie comics as a kid and read the Drew/Hardy books, so there’s a big nostalgia thing for me seeing modern spins on the characters.

Ultimate Member

I read the Hardy Boys books years ago and loved them but it's been like 20 years or more since then...I don't really have any interest in Riverdale though...

I kinda wanted to hate it because Nancy Drew should not be a monster hunter but I still love this show.

It helps that she’s mainly dealing with ghosts, typically the most mystery and human focused monsters

is she in high school on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    No, she's an adult.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The show takes place the summer after she graduates high school. She was suppose to go to college but ends up waitressing in her home town due to family issues. She’s 18-19 on the show.

I think the girl who plays Nancy does a good job. She's flawed but they all are really. It reminds me of older writing where the characters are not perfect yet are all good people and likable. More early New Mutants than the disfunctional Ultimates approach. I suppose season 2 will take awhile but I'll watch it when it happens.

It reminds me in some ways of Veronica Mars with ghosts.

I do wish they hadn't gone so cliche with Bess's girlfriend. A girl who is a cop and looks butch and is a lesbian as well . . . uggh. I hate it when a character falls into a stereotype because it just screams lazy writing.

I didn't get butch, more fashion model. I'd have a harder time being convinced she could beat me up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

I do wish they hadn't gone so cliche with Bess's girlfriend. A girl who is a cop and looks butch and is a lesbian as well . . . uggh. I hate it when a character falls into a stereotype because it just screams lazy writing.
    hey man, please don’t use that b word. it is not appropriate unless you are yourself a lesbian woman. it is considered hurtful to that community when someone of another identity uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

Veronica Mars w. ghosts. That’s a good way to put it.

Lisbeth Is hella cute, too!
    Like Tony said, I would doubt she could beat me up.
    But I’ve been put on my ass by women at the gym many times who looked no bigger than her!