Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'd rather they just erase the character. The moment they tried to pawn him off as the real Wally West for the New 52 I was never going to buy into his character. That was such a stupid idea. They can try and change him to just being another Wally West, but to me he will always be a failed idea where they tried to reboot the Wally West character in the New 52 to be this new version to match him closer to the Flash TV show. They should have just changed his name the moment they decided to move on from trying to pass him off as the "real" Wally West, imo.
    I feel like DC has established him too much to just erase him at this point, and anything else would just be seen as compromising what little attempts at diversity they have made in the past few years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like DC has established him too much to just erase him at this point, and anything else would just be seen as compromising what little attempts at diversity they have made in the past few years.
    But they had ZERO issues erasing Jason Rusch because Doomsday Clock nullifies New 52's Firestorm origin. So he was never Firestorm.

They got rid of Black Lightning's daughters. Not this so-called cousin mess.

Have we seen Xs?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Not every character is for everybody; you just got to deal with it. Also, how are the writers “fooling” anyone by writing good stories that develop characters?
    What I mean by fooling the readers is showing how the character changes via that quickly instead of slowly over a period of time. I never believed that Damien changed that quickly to accept the morals of the Batman family that quick when He tried to get their approval of him despite how he acted before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I basically agree with lemon's whole post here. I'm not sure if I'd be pissed, probably just apathetic (the whole thing has been a mess since the start) but I think at this point in the game it's not anything we're going to see gains from.

For one thing, okay the idea that Wallace is from another earth *could* be a great way to untangle the Wally/Wallace thing, except we've got characters from the main earth who've known Wallace his whole life, and who know his parents. I feel like in the end, this would just complicate things more. "Oh, Wallace? Yeah he's my not-nephew; an alt-reality Flash who came to our world, in the past, and made his mother give birth to him on our world so he could learn how to be a hero all over again." I dunno, that's not impossible to wrap your head around or anything, but it's just weird, and not necessarily in a good way. I mean, if you're an alt-earth Flash and you want to learn from Barry....why not just ask?

I *do* like the idea of a Flash coming to the main earth to learn from Barry. There's a good idea in there. But I don't see it helping Wallace. Just seems like it'd be trying to remove him from Wally's position, which isn't really a problem anymore (not in the narrative structure anyway), and that's only gonna appease the fans still harboring a grudge, not the character.

At this point I think the name thing is the biggest issue.

Wallace's early days were.....a struggle, let's say. But he's developed into his own character with his own history, relationships, and fanbase. He's moved on from those early stumbles and become rather distinct, but his name makes it confusing. I think DC can get away with the Wally/Wallace split, but it's not exactly a great solution and it could still be easy to confuse people, especially if someone a little formal (like J'onn, for instance) is talking about them.

What're the Wallys' middle names? Rudolph? Just have him decide he wants to be called Rudy. Rudy West, cousin of Wally West. Rudy and Wally and Barry. It works, right? Sounds like a "Flash family" name.
    Calling an African American Rudy just feels off to me as for HOW Wallace comes to this time make him the Kid Flash of his world, but the events of Flashpoint and Convergence force him to the main DC Earth and regression, loss of his memory and the new 52s time reset have him become the new Wally West while the old one was lost to the time stream thanks to Flashpoint. At least that’s what starts it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Calling an African American Rudy just feels off to me
    Why?

10char
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

They already came up with a fix for Wallace and Wally to co-exist in the same continuity. They're cousins, he was Daniel's kid all along. Why make it more complicated than that? Isn't one retcon enough? Do we really need another Donna Troy scenario?

What're the Wallys' middle names? Rudolph? Just have him decide he wants to be called Rudy. Rudy West, cousin of Wally West. Rudy and Wally and Barry. It works, right? Sounds like a "Flash family" name.
    There's already a character called Rudy West.

Believe me I do understand where you are coming from and I do agree with you completely, as an African American reader of comics I’m more annoyed with DC and how they treat their characters of different races. One of the main reasons I dropped out of DC comics was due to the events of Flashpoint and how they swept it under the rug and let Barry go with little to no punishment.

I mean both him and THawne deserves some punishment over the events of Flashpoint and its causes.

When I first heard of the African American Wally West I was a bit annoyed with how they tried it use him in the comics and when the original Wally came back it was complex further and it seems that it will be messed up further once Flash Forward ends unless We get a satisfy conclusions and one that doesn’t anger old school Wally fans any more than they already are.

Still I thought that given the Black President Superman from another Earth and how the rest of the Justice League members are black makes me think that MAYBE the Wallace West we’ve seen isn’t truthfully from the original DC Earth and is from any other Earth in the Multiverse, but was regress back to a kid and place on this Earth with its timeline. I know it’s far-fetch and a bit annoying, but given how DC has treated the Flash and Company as of late...it’s acceptable in a way its written.
    look, I can appreciate that train of thought, and I'm a big proponent that almost anything can be a good development so long as the creatives producing it have the drive and creativity to make it happen; I just don't see that move being good for Wallace with the current state of DC. if DC retcons him to another Earth more likely than not it'll weaken his position in the DC landscape, making him likely to get shipped off to said Earth never to be heard from again or killed or just fade into obscurity before they introduce a new Kid Flash. truthfully, the best way to further differentiate him from Wally is to grow his character organically until people stop pretending one guy being called Wallace and the other being Wally is somehow "too confusing". The cousins, Wallace/Wally retcon was the best for the situation, his origin doesn't need to be messed with right now, he just needs to grow more into his own.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Why?

10char
    I usually associate the name Rudy with the film Rudy is how I view it.

Then they should have changed his name the moment pushing him as the "real" Wally was no longer the plan. The amount of things DC changes and retcons all the time doesn't make it impossible or even difficult to do, but they wanted to keep that TV show synergy I guess. Him going by Wally West will just serve, to me at least, as him being a failed idea in DC trying to replace the original Wally with this New 52 version. I don't fault people for liking the character or wanting to support the character, but his name and what the character was created to be originally isn't something I can move on from.

I was never a fan of Damien Wayne and I’m still not to this day. The reason I mention this is because Wallace is in a similar situation and not everyone will be fooled by the writing of other writers for the same character.
    Oh ok so your issue is that you don't like him at all? In that case it's not going to matter what origin he has. You can just ignore the books he's in unless your TT fan, from what I hear he's barely in The Flash.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Then they should have changed his name the moment pushing him as the "real" Wally was no longer the plan. The amount of things DC changes and retcons all the time doesn't make it impossible or even difficult to do, but they wanted to keep that TV show synergy I guess. Him going by Wally West will just serve, to me at least, as him being a failed idea in DC trying to replace the original Wally with this New 52 version. I don't fault people for liking the character or wanting to support the character, but his name and what the character was created to be originally isn't something I can move on from.
    I mean, at this point his name isn't strictly "Wally," so I think it's as close as we're going to get.

I mean, at this point his name isn't strictly "Wally," so I think it's as close as we're going to get.
    It is them trying to work around a failed situation. If he is called Wally or Wallace it is the same to me. He still represents something DC did that really bothered me. I can't look past when DC tried to push him as the real Wally in the New 52 and erase the original version, and every time they call him Wally or Wallace it is a constant reminder of that to me which was such a big turnoff. Others can be fine with it, and I don't begrudge them for it, but for me it isn't something that I can move on from when I see the character or read stories with the character in it.

What I mean by fooling the readers is showing how the character changes via that quickly instead of slowly over a period of time. I never believed that Damien changed that quickly to accept the morals of the Batman family that quick when He tried to get their approval of him despite how he acted before.
    Well that's pretty much the point of writing stories to show their development. Some writers will tell multiple stories and show slow development over time and sometimes it's just one with the character going through a change towards the end. I'm not exactly sure what Damian stories you read that made you feel that way about the character, but Damian's been Robin for years now so at this point I think it's best to let it go and just accept Damian has adopted those morals and in your case you feel the writers failed to prove his development.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

All the character needs is consistently good characterization & writing, as well as an appropriate and consistent place in-universe. The retcon that the West family always had Wally and Wallace should have been the story from the start. It would have been much better and far less polarizing than creating a new character and calling him Wally West. I think that instead of creating him, the better approach would have been to permanently bring XS to the present day. She had an accepted backstory and likable characterization. She could have been the fish out of water character as she adjusted to the present being her new home. Retention of her Legion-issued flight ring and transuit would give her a few things unique to her. She would have checked off the same diversity box Wallace does while adding a female speedster as a regular part of the Flash family. Like Bart, she's Barry's grandchild. So, there is that as well.

That being said, the furthest I'd go is say that he would have been on an alternate Earth pre-Flashpoint similar to the Infinite Crisis revelation that several characters would have been on another Earth had the multiverse never been wiped out. It didn't seem to harm any of those characters.
    Last edited by mikelmcknight72; 10-18-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

They don't need to send him to another earth. Just need to change the name. Call him "ace" west the fastest kid alive. Problems solved.