Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zatara (Giovanni "John" Zatara) appreciation thread

First appearing in the same issue as a certain Kryptonian, "Zatara Master Magician" was one of several features to debut in Action Comics #1 (June 1938).

It looks like Zatara appeared relatively regularly in Action Comics until issue #132 (cover-dated May 1949) and then sporadically until he disappeared from that title after issue #141 (February 1950). However, he also was appearing in World's Finest Comics starting with the first issue (which was actually World's Best Comics) cover-dated (Spring) 1941, with that gig lasting until issue #51 (April-May 1951).

When he next appeared, it would be when his daughter Zatanna began searching for her father in the 1960s, starting in Hawkman #4 (October-November 1964).

Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.

I remember knowing of Zatara when my friends did not! Then later, they asked if I meant Zatanna. Lol

Wasn't Zatara married to Sindella, a magical person and mother of Zatanna?

How powerful was Sindella?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Wasn't Zatara married to Sindella, a magical person and mother of Zatanna?
    Yes.
    Sindella was one of the "Homo Magi", who are born with magical abilities.
    Her first appearance was in (I believe) Justice League of America #174 (cover-dated March 1979).

Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-15-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Oh, thanks for the comic cover post!

I never saw Sindella or what she could do. I think I heard through Zatanna that Sindella is dead. I wonder if she died in this JLA issue?

It would have been great to have a Home Magi magic wielder in the DCU. She probably was much more powerful than Zatanna and many times moreso than Zatara.

I think she also had a gem on her brain called the medulla jewel.

I actually like the bodysuit costume w the ponytail.it's cute

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm intrigued by this character. Is there any recommended stories featuring this character?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm intrigued by this character. Is there any recommended stories featuring this character?
    For Zatara's Golden Age adventures, I don't know of any that have been collected anywhere beyond a couple of reprints for Action Comics #1 itself.
    Beyond that, his appearances from the Silver Age and beyond seem more scattered, usually showing up in a story featuring his daughter Zatanna or with other mystical or Golden Age characters.

His origin story has been presented a couple of times that I know of:

in DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #5 (1980)

and later in

Secret Origins #27 (1988)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    First appearing in the same issue as a certain Kryptonian, "Zatara Master Magician" was one of several features to debut in Action Comics #1 (June 1938).
    Though I had heard of him a few years before, the first time I ever saw him was that story when I picked up a back issue of Action Comics #1 about 40 years ago. For some reason, though, I never found him nearly as sexy as his daughter.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For Zatara's Golden Age adventures, I don't know of any that have been collected anywhere beyond a couple of reprints for Action Comics #1 itself.
    Beyond that, his appearances from the Silver Age and beyond seem more scattered, usually showing up in a story featuring his daughter Zatanna or with other mystical or Golden Age characters.

His origin story has been presented a couple of times that I know of:

in DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #5 (1980)

and later in

Secret Origins #27 (1988)
    I'll definitely be on a look out for those, especcially the Secret Origins #27, since I prefer more modern storytelling.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I didn't mind it myself, but the original costume and the one that came after the bodysuit were better, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Hmmm... I was never aware that Zatanna wore this costume at one point, I just simply thought she wore the magician suit and then wore costume with the red cape and the scorpion headdress and then just reverted back to the magician suit.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-16-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Zatara appears in one of the DC Dark Matter Title as one of the members of the "Immortal Men".
    Dark-Matter-Immortal-Men-by-Jim-Lee-teaser-spoilers-C-300x388.jpg
    It's rather an odd look for Zatara, and this raises a truckload of questions. Is Zatara alive in Rebirth? Does Immortal Men take place in the main DCU or in an alternate timeline? probably the latter, but it's an ongoing series not a miniseries, and I reckon it's going to be set in the main DC timeline, because distorted realities like the one presented in DC Metal, or Flashpoint, or House of M, or Age of Apocalypse, and the like, usually destruct after the event is over.

I like the ponytail and slinky outfit best, but not the elf shoes. No offense to elves, their feet or their shoes.

I am not as knowledgeable of New Fifty Two continuity as I am of Pre and Post Crisis continuity, so I'm curious what is the status of John Zatara post flashpoint. in Post Crisis continuity he perished during the American Gothic arc of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, but I'm assuming the majority of that arc is not canon since it revolved around Crisis on Infinite Earths to a large extent. Is he alive? Is he dead? If he is alive what is he currently doing in the comics. If he is dead how did he meet his demise?