Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Being bisexual and being a paedophile are two separate things.
    I know that. And you know that.
    But it would be one of the first things people would talk about, as it's already had a history of being a joke with some folks 'drawing conclusions' in parodies.

My point is that many things when scrutinized under an 'adultified' lense could be interpreted as something much more than what was originally intended.
    And older comics, before they became 'aware', so to speak, are the easiest to draw allusions from.
    The innocence and naivity that was taken for granted quite possibly no longer exists in superhero comics.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For me the issue is two-fold;

> Wonder Woman has actually been sexually assaulted several times in her history. During the Silver Age for instance there is a story where Angle Man forces her to kiss him in front of Steve Trevor, where as during the New 52 Orion smacks her in the butt. In both cases though this behavior is rebuked, Angle Man is captured and as for Orion, Wonder Woman responds in kind by clenching his balls with her hand. In this instance the harassment is normalized, it is essentially part of her routine being a member of the JLA, perhaps directly akin to workplace harassment in that manner. I mean, even in the most degenerate Vietnamese cartoons, the pervy dude is usually rebuked for his behavior, once spotted the victim yells out, "You bakka!" and then promptly whips him with her serpentine tail.

> Being a member of the JLA requires some moral authority, which, I think this behavior demonstrates Plastic Man lacks. Is treating women, well not even women, your fellow JLA member, with dignity and respect is a lower criterion in being a superhero than punching the right people?

I'm not against the joke in its entirety, if Plastic Man were lambasted for his behavior, or perhaps threatened with a good necking and became a more responsible person for it then I wouldn't have thought much more about it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

"Being a member of the JLA requires some moral authority."

I live for the day when people finally realize that "moral authority" has never been an actual requirement for any job, like, EVER. See: police officers, politicians, teachers, religious leaders of all creeds, and yes, even super-heroes. Hell, I automatically would distrust anybody who tries to pass themselves off as a "moral authority" and would wonder exactly what they're trying to hide.

Invincible Member

Wouldn't Deathsroke be the proto-Deadpool?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Wouldn't Deathsroke be the proto-Deadpool?
    It started out that way but other writers have morphed Deadpool in to something else.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-11-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

It was a Joke a bad stupid Joke. But what's worse is trying to police humor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was a Joke a bad stupid Joke. But what's worse is trying to police humor.
    Trying to pass sexual harassment off as a harmless fun joke is worse.

Incredible Member

This. Is. Not. Sexual Harrasment. Anymore than Batman is a peddie engaging in child endangerment. Or Superman and Batman are reckless parents. Placing malign intent in a harmless scene... and yeah it is harmless, fundamentally misunderstands a character that can become the proverbial kitchen sink.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    This. Is. Not. Sexual Harrasment.
    Yes it is. If Plastic Man were real he would go back to prison for crap like that.

... and yeah it is harmless, fundamentally misunderstands a character that can become the proverbial kitchen sink.
    No, it is not harmless. And if **** like this is a fundamental part of Plastic Man then the character belongs in the same garbage pile as Whitewash Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Plastic Man has to be the most useless character in DC comics. He has always annoyed me and I would skip any panel or page he was featured in during that JLA run.
    Not really...he did save the Justice League once in that Mark Waid story

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Trying to pass sexual harassment off as a harmless fun joke is worse.
    It was meant as a joke as written and I'm from the George Carlin school where you can Joke about anything. If it's funny that's a different story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Yes it is. If Plastic Man were real he would go back to prison for crap like that.

No, it is not harmless. And if **** like this is a fundamental part of Plastic Man then the character belongs in the same garbage pile as Whitewash Jones.
    You do not win any medals for this. You have saved no one with this outburst. Real world sexual harassment does not end because you get pissy over a fictional character. My God.

BANNED

Plastic Man is a creep. So what, you want writers to NOT write him like a creep? That would be betraying the character. And sorry, but Diana isn't going to beat Plastic Man or campaign to have him evicted from the JLA for trying to see her naked. She values his ability to save innocent lives over her personal privacy, and knows that, despite the fact that he's a lowlife smartass who uses his powers for selfish reasons all too often, he's a decent guy deep down and most likely won't try it again. She's forgiving and compassionate like that.

Contrary to popular belief, Diana isn't always some short-tempered warmonger who would beat a man for being a pathetic Peeping Tom. If she was to catch him spying on other women, though, she might not be so forgiving.

BANNED

It was meant as a joke as written and I'm from the George Carlin school where you can Joke about anything. If it's funny that's a different story.
    You can joke about anything, but if your joke about racism kinda makes racism sound cool, and takes the side of the racist, then it's not just a joke about racism.

Incredible Member

George Carlin would be constantly shredded by the Hive Mind. Not that he would care. Or Richard Pryor either. (Admittedly, Pryor would be too high to care).