Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ben-Hur, 1959. Heston always denied it, but Stephen Boyd and Director William Wyler played the relationship of Ben-Hur and Mesala with gay overtones.
    Speaking of Heston I always felt his character and Edward G. Robinson's character in Soylent Green were a couple with Robinson's Character Gay and Heston's Character Bi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It makes sense for old Hollywood to tip-toe around LGBTQ content, given the repression of the time, but that's more confounding in contemporary movies. I haven't seen BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, but I understand that it tries to rewrite Freddie Mercury's life story, in the interest of not upsetting the surviving members of Queen.
    His bi / gayness is front and center in the movie. Early in the movie they show him making eyes with a male truck driver who he then goes into a bathroom with. Fun fact: the truck driver was Adam Lambert, current lead singer of Queen, and he's openly gay. Later they show Freddie at gay clubs. And they show him definitely in a relationship with a guy later on. There are no explicit sex scenes but its very front and center and not hidden.

The only things the movie hid were the facts about the band's history from how they met, to how they never actually broke up before Live Aid and in fact were just finishing up a world tour at the time, and the timing of Freddie finding out he had HIV as the movie shows it before Live Aid when it really was a few years later.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Top Gun for sure.

Classic movies had to be very careful about any suggestion of other than vanilla sexuality, so a lot of it is in the subtext.

There's also the weird man on man sexuality in SPARTACUS (1960) . And in Douglas Sirk movies, starring Rock Hudson, they hinted at Rock's sexuality in an allegorical way. Rock's character invariably finds the companionship of an older woman in the Sirk movies--a maternal protector who keeps his secrets.
    I remember the line with "Snails & Oysters" with Tony Curtis as handsome slave boy Antoninus & Laurence Olivier as the depraved General Crassus. He asked him if he liked Snails as much as he liked Oysters. When Antoninus said it's not his thing, the General stressed him saying he can't hold out against the "power" of Rome, and that he must grovel before the majesty of Rome.

When the General turned around to look at his reaction, he saw that Antoninus ran the **** out the entire palace. LOLZ!

Why does everyone say Top Gun was gay?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Lord of the Rings. I dont care if he married a women Sam looked at Frodo with fu** me eyes one too many times.

OG the fast and the Furious too. There is a really gay crotch Rocket joke in that movie.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

The X-Men movies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The X-Men movies.
    Pretty sure thats intentional. In the movies and comics. I mean X2 had a right on the nose coming out scene. Where Bobby's parents literaly say well have you tried not being a mutant?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

For themes ... Heathers.

For appeal ...Batman Forever and Beastmaster.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Beastmaster.
    Beastmaster and Ator the Fighting Eagle

And does anyone remember the 80s movie Hunk about a nerd who sells his soul to the devil and becomes a blonde hunk for the summer?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, Top Gun. No doubt.
    Also the Covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Sailor Moon R : the movie

Tuxedo mask forms a relationship with a feminine alien boy . They give each other flowers and act a bit flowery...
    That being an Ikuhara movie, I think we're meant to take everything at face value there. Mamoru confirmed bi.

Blades of Glory...

I really enjoy that movie lol

By the standard of XANADU, shouldn't THE WIZARD OF OZ be considered a gay movie, in that it has many positivie values that the LGBTQ community have embraced? I mean going over the rainbow, from a dull black & white repressive world into a world of colours and fantastic possibilities.

When I finally got around to watching FOOTLOOSE, the original Kevin Bacon movie, I was surprised by it not being anything like what I thought it would be. There's very little dancing in the movie (the big dance scene is right at the very end); the romance between the male lead and the female lead lacks any passion and there's no chemistry between Bacon and Lori Singer; the real chemistry is between Bacon and Chris Penn; their characters love each other but can't express that love in a town that is so repressive. If I was going to remake FOOTLOOSE, I would have a lot more dancing; it would be about those two male characters who really want to dance with each other and find no passion with the women they're supposed to date; and the town is so homophobic and repressed that they have to go outside town to a bar that will let them dance together.
    Gay people identified themselves for YEARS as "Friends of Dorothy" in reference to The Wizard of Oz, enough so that the US Navy spent millions trying to track this supposed Dorothy down with the intention of leaning on her to give up all the gay servicemen she seemed to know.

And nowadays we are so far removed from that time that people honestly think that Don't Ask Don't Tell was always a repressive policy instead of actually being the major step towards leniency that it was at the time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lord of the Rings. I dont care if he married a women Sam looked at Frodo with fu** me eyes one too many times.

OG the fast and the Furious too. There is a really gay crotch Rocket joke in that movie.
    if you reversed that to "Frodo looked at Sam".... then I might agree.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Pretty sure thats intentional. In the movies and comics. I mean X2 had a right on the nose coming out scene. Where Bobby's parents literaly say well have you tried not being a mutant?
    agreed. I would say that Singer's films are kinda like if the X-Men were the "superhero" cover on a "gay" smart phone.