Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    BANNED

SHAZAM! is a call to action for Billy Batson to let loose..

CAPTAIN MARVEL!!

LOL at 616MarvelYearisLeapYear laying in wait to post-bomb ^ every new 15th top of page post, to make it their own.
    Well done!

That said, this and the image above reminds me, in the over 4 decades since Lucas introduced his universe, you see everything referenced from Alex Raymond, to the Movie Serials, to Akira Kurosawa, to Frank Herbert, to Kirby's Fourth World, and many more referenced as informing Lucas's vision, yet something I've also been aware of since I was a kid, was the elements that also paralleled SHAZAM!
    While these are common tropes, the "force-ghost" wizard, image above^, the whole adopted orphan recruited by the old wizard into the new power (who then dies yet leads him). ...Further insert the whole "there is another" Lost Twin Sister motif (from the previous page) , and reveal. Reminds me how much Lucas was somewhat (at least tangentially) informed from SHAZAM, yet not many seem to ever acknowledge it.
    Don't know that Campbell (other than in a broader classical recurring archetype sense) did either, not directly.
    Unless someone has link (page, or old article) of somewhere that does? I'd love to see it referenced.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-17-2019 at 06:19 AM.

DC have ordered a takedown on some golden age books:
    https://downthetubes.net/?p=106244
    https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum...ic,8604.0.html

But not all of them. Seems like Fawcett didn't keep the copyrights on some of them and thus they're public domain and not owned by DC Comics!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    DC have ordered a takedown on some golden age books:
    https://downthetubes.net/?p=106244
    https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum...ic,8604.0.html

But not all of them. Seems like Fawcett didn't keep the copyrights on some of them and thus they're public domain and not owned by DC Comics!
    Most likely, they'll end up in reprints anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Most likely, they'll end up in reprints anyway.
    Agreed but good!

Man, I love those covers Ross did for the Crisis on Multiple Earths books.

All-New Member

I am new to boards, but love DC & Marvel. I grew up in the 70's & recall the SHAZAM TV show. Was SHAZAM not Capt. Marvel? Please clear this up for me. Thanks

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FarmBoy View Post
    I am new to boards, but love DC & Marvel. I grew up in the 70's & recall the SHAZAM TV show. Was SHAZAM not Capt. Marvel? Please clear this up for me. Thanks
    As of TODAY, Billy Batson is referred to as "Shazam", though some of us hard core fans still refer to him as "Captain Marvel". Go figure.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Watched Shazam! for the 2nd time with my girlfriend. What a great movie and what a great character!

Quote Originally Posted by FarmBoy View Post
    Welcome to the boards.
    There is a million threads already about this (the question and/or complaint, or someone just wanting to be the last to announce they know the "real" name, seems to pop up again every few months) and several explanations ( take your pick on it) in this thread already, but just to recap:

If you recall the 70's TV show, as you indicate; in the TV show (and even the comics at the time) he was still called Captain Marvel, but the actual show (and comics and all merchandise, look at any of the merchandise or comics from that era,) It's all branded as SHAZAM!
    That's because DC was (and still is) not able to use the name Captain Marvel to promote, advertises, market, sell, merchandise, brand their character in any way.
    They couldn't then, even more they can't today.
    Marvel flat out owns the name "Captain Marvel" as an Intellectual Property and brand name. It's been this way long since the 70s show you watched.

As to the modern movie and character. With modern movies franchises on the line and the value of an IP brand, and Marvel coming out with their own Captain Marvel film, which they could actually call that, advertise and mas-merchandise as that.
    DC/WB could not. And probably felt it was time to start calling the character something they could actually use to promote and advertise their film with, and use to actually sell their merch and IP with. And that is SHAZAM!

Although that hasn't stopped them from having fun with it (and the fan anxiety over it) , both in the comic ...

...and in the movie.

Where he is referenced as everything from Captain Sparkle Fingers!
    To when Freddy uploads all SHAZAMS! deeds to Youtube, you see many of his alternate name suggestions:
    Red Cyclone...
    Captain Thunder! (actually his original Thrill Comics ashcan name, often invoked by DC, and one of the most popular alternatives)
    Thundercrack!
    Sir Zaps-Allot!
    Mr. Philadelphia (both the new book and film take place in Philly)
    ZAPtain America!
    And many more...

Last edited by Güicho; 05-09-2019 at 11:42 AM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.efdfa25ce902

RIP Kendrick Castillo.
    I hope this is ok. With all due respect to Castillo, his family and his friends who he helped protect.
    Kendrick Castillo who died a hero, instinctualy, selflessly protecting his colleagues, at his own peril;.
    Inspiring and giving others the opportunity to wrestle the gun away, and all his friends and colleagues to escape, while he gave his life.

Totally reminds me of Pedro Peña.
    I hope I haven't' crossed some line or offended, it's who I first thought of, and they seemed so much made in the same mold in instinct personality, seems like something Pedro would do in his own class, Don't know if they could in the book homage him in some way.?
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-10-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Looks like we've had Wozenderland revealed:
    SHAZAM! #9
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art by DALE EAGLESHAM
    cover by MARK BUCKINGHAM
    variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    After their terrifying adventure through the Darklands, Billy and the rest of the Shazam family find themselves going over the rainbow and through the looking glass into the upside-down, topsy-turvy world of the Wozenderlands! It’s a magical, multicolored metropolis where it’s always time for a cup of tea, a game of croquet or even a stroll down the Blue Brick Road—but it’s also ruled by the mysterious Wizard of Wozenderland, desperate for the power of the six champions!
    ON SALE 08.21.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

I thought this was a bit of a weird choice at first. Sure, it fits the children's fantasy vibe that Johns is playing around with. But then it occurred to me, this isn't the first time we've seen Oz and Wonderland toy around with Shazam characters. Right before Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Captain Carrot book had a mini series called The Oz-Wonderland War that teamed the disparate worlds together to fight the Nome King. Hoppy the Marvel Bunny was reintroduced in this series, so maybe Geoff will bring him back in Wozenderland?

Cover ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Looks like we've had Wozenderland .... going over the rainbow and through the looking glass into the upside-down, topsy-turvy world of the Wozenderlands! It’s a magical, multicolored metropolis where it’s always time for a cup of tea, a game of croquet or even a stroll down the Blue Brick Road—but it’s also ruled by the mysterious Wizard of Wozenderland, desperate for the power of the six champions!

I thought this was a bit of a weird choice at first. Sure, it fits the children's fantasy vibe that Johns is playing around with. But then it occurred to me, this isn't the first time we've seen Oz and Wonderland toy around with Shazam characters. Right before Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Captain Carrot book had a mini series called The Oz-Wonderland War that teamed the disparate worlds together to fight the Nome King. Hoppy the Marvel Bunny was reintroduced in this series, so maybe Geoff will bring him back in Wozenderland?

(although this was a one-off never an established "realm')

I think it's fun (a bit cute to see them together) and ok to reference these classic tales, and there is even precedence for it.
    Yet this is a little to on the nose. In SHAZAM's world building I'm fine with referencing several known, familiar tropes and character types, but you should change them enough so they are their own, only slightly recognizable, feel familiar, yet are actually new.
    If anything, re-world building the SHAZAM U they should be pulling more from Parker, Binder, and artist C. C. Beck's rich world and history they created for the character. There is so much more there.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-22-2019 at 05:26 AM.

BANNED

LOL! Mary Marvel, a substitute for Alice in Alice in Wonderland!