Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What characters have been the most wasted in your favorite tv show/movie

I was reading the article on how the MCU didn't handle Captain America's supporting characters well. While I only agree with what they had to say about Sharon, it did get me thinking about a lot of characters in fiction that have been underserved in recent years.

Ex: Laurel Lance (the first one) on Arrow. To say that she was mistreated is an understatement; for some reason the show did not like to use her at all.

Boisterously Confused

ST:TNG. Will Riker. From S2 on, his role on the show become progressively redundant, with the trend picking up speed after a brief flash of hope in the S3-4 bridging episode, Best of Both Worlds. IMO, he should have been written out of the show at that point.

Luke Cage. I loved his character in Jessica Jones which is my favorite comic book TV show on any network.

But in his own series he's utterly wasted with cartoonish villains, unlikeable supporting characters, and boring plots. Only good thing I can say about the Luke Cage series is that sometimes the music groups frequently featured playing in the club were great. It took me over a year to get through the first eight episodes of season 2 before I finally gave up wondering why I was torturing myself by trying to be a completionist in watching all the Netflix MCU shows.

Wally West on Flash. First I was annoyed they went with Nu-Wally instead of real Wally who is my favorite DC character. To my surprise though I actually ended up liking the character once they got him away from his cliched "street racer" origin and I liked Keiynan Lonsdale in the role (despite his horrific haircut one season). Then they basically wrote him out of Flash. For a bit it looked like they might use him in Legends but it ended up being no more than a guest appearance.

I thought Boba Fett was somewhat wasted in the original Star Wars trilogy. He was a pretty cool character that stood out in the minds of a lot of people ... but in the grand scheme of things did very very very little.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Spoilers for Penny Dreadful, but I was soooo pissed with what they did with Van Helsing. I was so excited to have David Warner play him as well. Such a waste
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    ST:TNG. Will Riker. From S2 on, his role on the show become progressively redundant, with the trend picking up speed after a brief flash of hope in the S3-4 bridging episode, Best of Both Worlds. IMO, he should have been written out of the show at that point.
    Riker was practically the main character in TNG compared to how badly Voyager bungled Chakotay.

Arrow:

Roy Harper- should have been a bigger part of the show, and his relationship with Thea was always one of my favorite things. But then he left during season 3 (I don't fault him for that. He left because of his mental health and he wanted to get better, and I wish him all the luck in the world with that). Unfortunately, he was willing to come back just as Willa finally had enough and left the show. And now he isn't coming back for Season 8. In all honesty, I wish they had cast a more reliable actor in the role.

Thea Queen- She should have been half of the big bad in season 3, alongside Malcolm, before going through a redemption arc. Instead she was used to fridge one character, and then basically marginalized except for a couple of standout episodes- one of which she died in. And you could tell she was sick and tired of being marginalized and misused from season 4 on, when she demanded more time off and didn't even come back to finish the first big crossover.

Laurel Lance- I never could tell if Guggenheim hated the character or the actress, and if the latter, why he didn't replace her before the show started filming. Laurel was horribly misused from season 2 onwards, and even her death was an afterthought and only carried out because they wrote themselves into a corner, and they needed to kill someone.

Flash:

Wally was also criminally underused. It was like they couldn't wait to get him in the suit, but then as soon as they did, they couldn't figure out how to write for two speedsters. Same with Jessie Quick- they wrote her out of the show as fast as they could.

Supergirl-

Literally every character that didn't make the move to Canada. Lucy Lane, Maxwell Lord, Sam Lane and the rest. They at least used Cat well for the times they could get Calista to come up to film, but even then the show lost something when she left. As for the rest- why the hell didn't they just recast?! They finally did that with Alura, but Lucy was supposed to be running the DEO along side J'onn, and they've never mentioned her.

Jimmy was also misused, but then I've never cared for this interpretation of the character. Though it was a bit shocking how quickly they 86'd the romance between him and Kara. If anything, I thought that would have been easier to do on the CW, as opposed to having the big black man in a relationship with the blonde girl on CBS. Instead, she was all 'Bye Felicia' and moved on almost immediately to Mon El.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Riker was practically the main character in TNG compared to how badly Voyager bungled Chakotay.
    I know one episode doesn't make a difference, but 'The Pegaus' has always been a favorite episode of mine, and it was a Riker-centric episode.

Retired

John Wesley Shipp on DAWSON'S CREEK, ALL MY CHILDREN, NYPD BLUE and the CW FLASH--and probably other TV shows, as well. I started watching both DAWSON'S CREEK and the CW FLASH, because JWS was in the cast. And I'm still bitter how he was treated on those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    John Wesley Shipp on DAWSON'S CREEK, ALL MY CHILDREN, NYPD BLUE and the CW FLASH--and probably other TV shows, as well. I started watching both DAWSON'S CREEK and the CW FLASH, because JWS was in the cast. And I'm still bitter how he was treated on those shows.
    Yeah, I enjoyed him as both Henry Allen and Jay Garrick but the show ultimately never did much with him in either role.

Which is kind of a shame given how enthusiastic he was to work on the show.

Black Bolt along with all the Inhumans were wasted beyond belief.

I think Luke cage was fine but him and Ironfist need a big budget Hero for Hire movie or Dinsey+ Series. The Netflix shows basicaly had to all share a budget barely more then what they are gonna spend on 6 episodes of Flacon and the winter solider. I found the show the be entertaining but Luke Cage once fully fleshed out was less interesting then the comics. He wasnt a criminal of any kind and was actually and Soldier and then a cop. Not sure what that added to his story. He wasnt even from Harlem. And they didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with him. But Colter did a good job and Luke Himself was a likable character unlike Iron Fist

Medusa in the Inhumans TV show was done so wrong. She had her hair shaved in the first episode and the only fight scene she had in the entire show was over in 5 seconds. Medusa losing her hair could have been a great character moment for her, but it wasn't earned. You can't have the audience fully sympathize with her or realize the gravity of the situation and the emotional impact it has on her character if you do it 20 minutes after first meeting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Medusa in the Inhumans TV show was done so wrong. She had her hair shaved in the first episode and the only fight scene she had in the entire show was over in 5 seconds. Medusa losing her hair could have been a great character moment for her, but it wasn't earned. You can't have the audience fully sympathize with her or realize the gravity of the situation and the emotional impact it has on her character if you do it 20 minutes after first meeting her.
    They thought it would be cool to make a Inhumans TV show. Then they start making it and realize we cant afford this ****. They shave her head, cover Gorgons legs, kill Triton for most the season, and Karnak gets a concussion and cant use his powers. Iono who thought any of that was a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    They thought it would be cool to make a Inhumans TV show. Then they start making it and realize we cant afford this ****. They shave her head, cover Gorgons legs, kill Triton for most the season, and Karnak gets a concussion and cant use his powers. Iono who thought any of that was a good idea
    Honestly, Jeph Loeb and Scott Buck deserved that the show flopped. I just feel bad for the cast and crew that were otherwise involved, but not responsible for the decisions that were made that led to the show being such a critical and financial failure.