Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’ve had a glimpse of it, and it’s beautiful from cover to cover.

Oh my gosh…this looks like it’s gonna be good.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Of corse the day of the 80th special is the day I’m freakishly busy.

Anyways, only had time to read Better Angel’s so far and…it should have been longer. Minerva being a tsundere to Diana’s shounen protagonists was funny and their battle was the closest thing to Savage Moon since…well, Savage Moon AND the art was very 90’s in a way that was pleasant and not obnoxious so, 11/10 story.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-05-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post

Neat.

Though some should get a Soviet photo censor to remove the Injustice Wonder Woman to make it perfect.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I really enjoyed this for the most part but I was disappointed at the overall lack of Donna and Cassie. They should've been here, and it wouldn't have been hard to write Donna into the Orlando story.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I really enjoyed the book!!!! I do agree Harpsikord about the lack of showing of the wonder girls. Diana is such an inspiration to the world but it can’t be shown with her 1st 2 sidekicks? Come on DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Iconic! I love the Amazonia Wonder Woman and also the costume from Red Son.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 10-05-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Incredible Member

I loved this. Even Mark Waid's Silver Age homage and Tom King's Mod Era throwback.

DC's showing their priorities when the three Wonder characters (4 if you count Hippolyta) that get their own pinup are Nubia, Artemis and Yara though, and we only see Donna and Cassie in the Wonder Girls pinup.

Cloonrad and Cheung's opening story was genuinely emotional and I can't wait to see what they do in 780, now with multiple WW sightings!
    Bellaire and Ganucheau's Young Diana and Nubia story had great artwork and establishes their (in canon, I guess) relationship. Clearly setting something up with Doom's Doorway.
    Amy Reeder's Golden Age homage was breezy and fun with some kick ass art and the Holliday Girls appearing was great. The "Woo Woo" from classic Etta was a joy to read haha.
    Waid's Satelite Era story with the freaking legend Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez was beautiful to look at and I enjoyed the interactions between her and the League. She gets some lip service from Supes and Waid does some cool character work. Much improved on your Diana, Mr. Waid.
    King and Doc Shaner on the Mod Era story was honestly hysterical. I very much enjoyed his characterization of Diana here, and the hilarity that ensues between Diana and Clark was gold. Even without her powers, she's the most special and free woman in the world and much too much for a square like Clark! He wishes though
    Vita Ayala and Isaac Goodhart go for a 90's era story, I think, at least based off Barbara's design. Idk if I agree that Cheetah wouldn't sacrifice the lives of children and innocents to get at Diana (especially if we're talking Perez Barbara) but Diana and Barbara bouncing off each other is always fun to read. Ayala's Cheetah is definitely depicted as a powerhouse and faster than Diana, so that's cool, too.
    Steve Orlando and Laura Braga's story is basically a shade throwing but loving family get together. I appreciate the acknowledgement of 90s replacement Wonders and having Nubia there, too. Plus, the Saturn empire shows up and I always love a good Diana liberating space folk from tyrannical leaders plot.
    Stephanie Phillips and Marcio Takara's story was cool and Takara's Diana just gorgeous. Phillip's has mentioned her appreciation of the New 52 and that's clearly the memo she sent to Takara cuz we see the New52 costume and Demeter's Chiang design. Cool story, but that classics professor sure looked a hell of a lot like Barbara and it kind of took me out of the story.
    GWW and Meghan Hetrick's is another Wondie story set in the future after humanity has left the planet and all superheroes are gone, except for our lady Wonder. A bit more melancholy, but still hopeful and daaaaamn I need Hetrick on more Wonder Woman asap!

This was a delight. Not completely perfect but not far from it either, it's a beautiful celebration of Diana and her wonderful world.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 10-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.

The only other 80th Anniversary special I read the GL one and I'd say that was stronger because the different characters meant you got more variety but this wasn't bad. Just making a comparison.

"In Memoriam" - Pretty good, nice Steve and Etta story. It remains a waste how little WW stuff was actually used in Death Metal but nice to Cloonan and Conrad making some use out of the post-stuff.

"Dreamers" - More of a prologue for the upcoming Nubia mini but I've been liking Ganucheau's art on this YD series so it wasn't bad.

"Fresh Catch" - Amusing, though I imagine those more into GA Wonder Woman than me will get more of a kick out of it.

"Dear Diana" - Liked this quite a bit. Hal Jordan's my other favorite DC character next to Diana, so I like having a good interaction between them that isn't from the New 52 JL book.

"Dated - Gorgeous art, I've never seen much of Shaner's interior stuff but out of the ballpark stuff here. Writing wise for King, it's not terrible like his issues involving Wonder Woman in his Batman run where but I can't say he's dug himself out of the hole he put himself in by doing a "dating Superman" plotline.

"Better Angels" - I agree with both I'm a Fish and Shimbo's points, I liked it and wanted more but I also can't say Cheetah's characterization here would entirely fit Perez's version of Barbara (which this story is clearly drawing on).

"Saturn Rising" - Probably my favorite of the bunch, really makes me wish Orlando got more of an extended run on Wonder Woman than he was allowed.

"Immortal Mysteries" - I can't be the only person thinking that woman would revealed to be Barbara right? Anyways, this story fills me with a bit more confidence on Philip's WW: Evolution than her previous stuff I've read. Philips might have made a decent alternate author to follow Azzarello rather than the Finches since this wasn't a bad New 52 revisit.

"Low Orbit" - Not bad though I also wouldn't really say anything special, though as I've said with one of the Black and Gold stories this feels like a very oft-repeated plot you see for characters like Superman or Wonder Woman.

Other random minutia: No Batman or Bat-characters outside of one panel (Good), Max Lord was mentioned (Bad) Injustice Wonder Woman in the multiverse poster (Insulting),
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-05-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Other random minutia: No Batman or Bat-characters outside of one panel (Good), Max Lord was mentioned (Bad) Injustice Wonder Woman in the multiverse poster (Insulting),
    My copy's still in the mail, but this just raised my anticipation level a few notches!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Vita Ayala and Isaac Goodhart go for a 90's era story, I think, at least based off Barbara's design. Idk if I agree that Cheetah wouldn't sacrifice the lives of children and innocents to get at Diana (especially if we're talking Perez Barbara) but Diana and Barbara bouncing off each other is always fun to read. Ayala's Cheetah is definitely depicted as a powerhouse and faster than Diana, so that's cool, too.

"Better Angels" - I agree with both I'm a Fish and Shimbo's points, I liked it and wanted more but I also can't say Cheetah's characterization here would entirely fit Perez's version of Barbara (which this story is clearly drawing on).
    I can believe it (barley) since Perez's Minerva largely killed criminals. Make no mistake, she was a terrible, narcissistic, self-serving sociopath, but I can believe she would draw the line a children. (I do remember her threatening to kill Venessa at the end of War of the Gods, though. )

Vita might also be drawing inspiration from Messner-Loebs, since she was friendly with Diana during his run and actually helped her take out several villains. So this story feels like an in-between for those two writers.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-05-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Neat.

Though some should get a Soviet photo censor to remove the Injustice Wonder Woman to make it perfect.
    So you have a problem with Red Son Wonder Woman but not Flashpoint Wonder Woman and Injustice?
    Like, I don't care about it, but I'm surprised.
    Last edited by Alpha; 10-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So you have a problem with Red Son Wonder Woman but not Flashpoint Wonder Woman and Injustice?
    Like, I don't care about it, but I'm surprised.
    Didn't she at least bail on Red Son Superman before he really went off the rails? Not, for, like good reasons but still...