Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is why sequels tend to make more money than the first. The people who didn't cough up the money in theatres to see it will see it on DVD/Blue-ray/Netflix/pirate it, like it, and go see the sequel in theatres.
    Which is also why so many sequels get made. People tend to flock to familiar things. I think there's also a bandwagon effect. So, a lot of people see [Blank] 2 because they saw the first one, and then a lot of people who didn't see [Blank] 2 see that a lot of other people are going to see it, and just watch because everyone else saw it or is talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I wonder why IM3 did so crappy with these sales. It had at least a month and a half jump on MOS as far as DVD/ blue ray sales. And it was the biggest cbm of the year by far but apparently no one wanted to own the thing lol
    My guess? Iron Man 3 was a movie people saw in theaters. Man of Steel was a watch-it-at-home movie.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    My guess? Iron Man 3 was a movie people saw in theaters. Man of Steel was a watch-it-at-home movie.
    Yeah, but usually people tend to buy on dvd the movies they saw in theaters.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, but usually people tend to buy on dvd the movies they saw in theaters.
    That's when they actually like them. IMO.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Err that would probably be a bad guess. Since the movies that do well in the theater do well on DVD/Blue ray. Well that is of course except for IM3.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I am a Super-Superman fan and I absolutely loved MOS
    Same here.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I am a Super-Superman fan and I absolutely loved MOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Same here.
    And me.

BANNED

It was good for a modern telling of the story. Is it great? not even close but it is not bad either. Only problem was as I have said time and again is the ending but overall it was well done for what it was aiming for.

BANNED

I had several issues with it, but I am most definitely a super Superman fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I find the disc sales of MoS vs. IM3 to be a bit intriguing. Intuitively, I just figure the ones that did better at the box office will do better in the home sales. Nope. I'd like to know the rationale. If I had to guess, it's that Iron Man was a bigger brand name at the moment, so people went to see it at the theatre regardless, but didn't need a second home viewing. Perhaps this is also a case that IM3 sales were lower than expected.
    My guess is that Iron Man 3, for a long time, was not available on Blu-ray for less than $30, and even now isn't listed below $25 on Amazon that I can find. Man of Steel is currently sitting at $12.50 or so.

I know that Iron Man's price was too prohibitive for me to consider purchasing it. Still is, though I would love to have a copy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Only people who hate MOS is the critics and Super-Superman fans.
    I am neither a critic nor a super-Superman fan, and I hate MOS.

BANNED

I don't hate MOS, it's a great science fiction movie, but a bad superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I don't hate MOS, it's a great science fiction movie, but a bad superman movie.
    I think I will never understand the "great X flick, but bad Y flick".
    It's a good movie or it's not. In the end, it's really all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I think I will never understand the "great X flick, but bad Y flick".
    It's a good movie or it's not. In the end, it's really all that matters.
    For me, it means that there is a set of characteristics that are necessary for a "good" movie, but for particular licenses, you have to pull from a subset of those set of characteristics, and if you pull from the bigger set but not the subset, you get a "good" movie that isn't particularly good for that license or characters.

For many fans, that means you can make a "good" movie in which the hero can kill the villain, but a "good Superman" movie can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    For me, it means that there is a set of characteristics that are necessary for a "good" movie, but for particular licenses, you have to pull from a subset of those set of characteristics, and if you pull from the bigger set but not the subset, you get a "good" movie that isn't particularly good for that license or characters.

For many fans, that means you can make a "good" movie in which the hero can kill the villain, but a "good Superman" movie can't have that.
    Yeah, I get the point, but that's really splitting hairs.
    At the end of the day, there's only one question left:
    did you enjoy the movie?
    I don't know, maybe it's because I consider movies as Elseworlds in the end, but everytime hear someone say "ho, it was a good movie, but Superman/Batman/Green Lantern/ Robin Hood didn't behave the way I expect so it's a bad "insert hero's name" movie", part of me always want to tell them to get lost and let the adults do the talking.