Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Wonder woman #752 spoilers and discussion

FINALLY after over two decades we have Devastation back.

Liking the art.

The Vikings were “explorers”. Yeah, somebody needs to watch VIKINGS on History channel. :P

Why is Valda not in jail? Legal system too mundane for supers?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

I like what Orlando seems to be doing with Donna and setting up things for her return and hopefully fixing her origin and relationship with Diana. Loved getting a flashback to Diana training Donna on Themyscira. And Diana referred to Donna as her sister. Felt more personal in this case. So hopefully Donna will be restored to her original origin at long last.

I'm thinking Helen's been mislead and deceived by Gudra/the Valkyries/Leviathan. Also she mentioned seeing ancestors of hers with the Nazis in WWII in her vision. So presumably she's a descendant of the Paula and her daughter Gerta, if they're back in continuity with Diana's golden age history restored?

I think some people are being a little hard on Diana and how she deals with Valda. Valda is time displaced and disoriented. She overreacted and killed nominally in self defense(the guy she stabbed was holding a knife). So Diana goes easy on her while trying to reason and talk her down.

Overall I'm liking how things are going.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I like what Orlando seems to be doing with Donna and setting up things for her return and hopefully fixing her origin and relationship with Diana. Loved getting a flashback to Diana training Donna on Themyscira. And Diana referred to Donna as her sister. Felt more personal in this case. So hopefully Donna will be restored to her original origin at long last.

I'm thinking Helen's been mislead and deceived by Gudra/the Valkyries/Leviathan. Also she mentioned seeing ancestors of hers with the Nazis in WWII in her vision. So presumably she's a descendant of the Paula and her daughter Gerta, if they're back in continuity with Diana's golden age history restored?

I think some people are being a little hard on Diana and how she deals with Valda. Valda is time displaced and disoriented. She overreacted and killed nominally in self defense(the guy she stabbed was holding a knife). So Diana goes easy on her while trying to reason and talk her down.

Overall I'm liking how things are going.
    The first thing Diana should do is subdue Valda as quick as possible and then talk to her. After all, she did kill someone.

And was it explained about her strength and skill that she could even last a second against Diana? Her getting flung into a parked car?

Sounds like incompetence on Diana's part, but that seems to be how it is with Diana from the scans I see on this issue and past. Besides the fact that the writers seem to give her 'C' or 'D' list opponents to fight.

My thoughts on the preview pages.

Somehow Valda manages to evade the lasso, and Diana switches to her sword (which looks far too large and unwieldy) and uses it to break Valda's blade.

Switch to Devastation and Warmaster. According to Warmaster's ancestral memories, the Amazons were active in the American revolution, and the von Gunther/Amazon feud goes back centuries, to the valkyries going to Themyscira. The layout hints that Valda will become one of Warmaster's horsewomen, though it's by no means certain.

Valda and Diana talk by the beach, and then they go hunting—and find—Valda's Chromium Beast.

Again, this is a rather mediocre issue. Neither the dialogue nor the art worked for me. Orlando seems to set up Warmaster doublecrossing Leviathan, which strikes me as a rather tired trope. The Valkyrie-Amazon conflict is either false (in which case it's a setup for a cheap resolution of the conflict between Wonder Woman and Warmaster) or true (in which case Orlando's putting the entire setup for the Amazon society all askew). None of the characters—old or new—feels that interesting or compelling.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Some thoughts!

>> So, after, like years of nagging, they finally amended Wonder Woman's costume so she can carry a sword, though...she gives it away at the end of the story. You can tell the sheath and strap were added upon request by the author and wasn't part of the templates artists work with because of how inconsistent it is between panels. Sometimes it's on WW's right shoulder, sometimes it's on her left, sometimes it's not even there!
    >> So Valda basically kills someone for calling her a liar and gets away with it, which is pretty funny.
    >> Is Devastation even named in this comic? She is sort of treated like an old character, but...if you are new to WW comics you will have no idea who this person is.
    >> Why would the Amazons be involved in the American Civil War And which side did they fight for? The traitorous yankee terrorists??
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I like how Orlando is adding to the Amazon mythos while at the same time, referencing what other writers have done in the past. Diana's remark about war, for example, I thought was a nod towards Perez, where Diana was presented as a warrior who tries to avoid war whenever possible. The battle between the Amazons and the Valkyries is another example. Writer Eric Luke introduced the idea that the Amazons had a white Pegasus and Rucka and Simone expanded on adding more Pegasuses kept in the Royal stable and riding companions to Wonder Woman and Queen Hippolyta. Pegasuses existing on the island could have been left over from the Valkyries visit. I don't believe Von Gunther's version of events as told in flashbacks, like that the Amazons attacked the Valkyries after they came to the island in peace. I think this is a warped/twisted version of events. From a writing standpoint, I do find it interesting that we're seeing Amazon history that was so far, untold and building upon ideas that were presented from earlier writers.
    Last edited by donnafan; 03-02-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Overall I enjoyed it and think there’s a lot of set up work being done as Orlando transitions from finishing GWW’s last storyline to the storylines that are all his.

We’ll see, but I can’t complain too much as I have an idea for a Valkyries versus Amazons story arc outlined in a notebook.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I thought it was great, even the appearance of Valda who I'm not very familiar with. My favorite parts was Warmaster's origin. It was great to see WWII and the Nazis still part of her backstory. I also liked the flashback with Donna which proves that her New 52 Hecate-created origin is no longer canon!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Thinking about it shouldn’t Diana just be able to summon the sword instead of holding it all the time. Diana’s first weapon is her lasso

I'm just here wondering why the Amazons would be active during the American revolution. Both sides didn't let women vote... Slavery? Native Americans? Doesn't make any sense. This one panel tripped me up.

Other than that it was bland. I guess they're building up a team for her to fight or something.

Incredible Member

By mentioning Amazons in the revolutionary war, I wonder if Orlando is setting the stage to bring back Miss Liberty. She wasn't an Amazon, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have adventured with a few...

Miss Liberty.jpg

Incredible Member

Orlando is actually following up on something mentioned a few issues previously in #750. Go back and check. When Orana presents Diana with her new sword
    Orana: The Sword of Exoristos. An exile, who reclaimed her honor in the American Revolution. May her blade remind you...

Diana: No one is beyond redemption.
    This tells us a few things
    1) Exoristos and Demon Kights are still in continuity
    2)Ex survived until the American Revolution
    3) After her death her belongings were returned to Themyscira. Maybe Jason Blood or Madam Xanadu did the favor?
    And now
    4) She fought Ancestors of Von Gunther during the war.
    So presumably the panel represent Exoristos fighting Von Gunthers who would have been Hessian redcoat mercenaries.

With Donna coming back into Diana’s myth. This makes me Wonder what will happen with Cassie

Couple of deletions.

Let's leave the non-Amazon related opinions of history for other forums, please
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

So...no real explanation of Valda's strength or speed to make it somewhat of a fight against Diana?

And this is why in the comic world Diana gets little respect as well as almost never being a central character in the DC events that either Superman or Batman saves the world/day.