Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Justice League Dark

This seems to be an unsung star of the DC line - I'm not seeing a whole lot being written about it. I'm on Vol. 1 and Peter Milligan is hitting an awesome stride on issue 4. He's got some great insights into the character, particularly Deadman - which I had never really paid attention to before. It makes me want to go out and read other Deadman stories, even if they're not DC continuity any longer. I also like his take on Constantine and Zatanna.

I was kind of surprised that I would like this - Milligan's run on X-books such as X-Force and X-men was stunningly bad to me. But recently I had read a number of issues he wrote of Batman. He's definitely a lot better when he's writing Morrison-esque, trippy, hallucinogenic magic stuff. He should really stick to his wheelhouse when it comes to this, I think. I love the collection of characters here and he gives them all a unique voice but still retains that crazy insanity that books like this appeal to for me. Can anyone recommend other good Milligan runs? I understand his run near the end of Hellblazer before the New 52 reset was pretty good.

Extraordinary Member

I think people got a bit disappointed with it when Lemire took over and made it into more of a superhero type thing, with some supernatural elements, instead of the horror-tinged team that Milligan launched it as. I'm hoping it can return to that soon. Anyway, I'm also hoping that Shade, the Changing Man can make a return. He was one of the more interesting characters, IMO.

BANNED

Worth reading?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think people got a bit disappointed with it when Lemire took over and made it into more of a superhero type thing, with some supernatural elements, instead of the horror-tinged team that Milligan launched it as. I'm hoping it can return to that soon. Anyway, I'm also hoping that Shade, the Changing Man can make a return. He was one of the more interesting characters, IMO.

It was exactly the opposite for me. I tried Milligan's issue #1 and it did nothing for me so I dropped the book until Lemire took over and once he did, I really enjoyed it. The additions of Black Orchid, Frankenstein, and Amethyst helped to lure me in. The Nick Necro/Felix Faust storyline was probably my favorite arc.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygeekboi View Post
    This seems to be an unsung star of the DC line - I'm not seeing a whole lot being written about it. I'm on Vol. 1 and Peter Milligan is hitting an awesome stride on issue 4. He's got some great insights into the character, particularly Deadman - which I had never really paid attention to before. It makes me want to go out and read other Deadman stories, even if they're not DC continuity any longer. I also like his take on Constantine and Zatanna.

I was kind of surprised that I would like this - Milligan's run on X-books such as X-Force and X-men was stunningly bad to me. But recently I had read a number of issues he wrote of Batman. He's definitely a lot better when he's writing Morrison-esque, trippy, hallucinogenic magic stuff. He should really stick to his wheelhouse when it comes to this, I think. I love the collection of characters here and he gives them all a unique voice but still retains that crazy insanity that books like this appeal to for me. Can anyone recommend other good Milligan runs? I understand his run near the end of Hellblazer before the New 52 reset was pretty good.
    - Shade the Changing Man
    - Enigma
    - Rogan Gosh
    - Human Target
    - The Extremist

I was pretty ehhhh on Milligan's JLD run at first, but now I really miss him on the book. Unfortunately Lemire takes over the book and eschews the Vertigo-ish tone for bland super heroics and ruins any interest I had in New 52 Constnatine. Haven't picked it up since then.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

JL: D is actually one of my most disappointing New 52 books. I had high expectations when it started, but other than Milligan's issue 2, which focused on the complicated relationship between Deadman and Dove, I've been let down. Lemire and Fawkes, I felt, had good starts to their stories, but they'd always flame out in the end.

On the other hand, Mikel Janin's art was excellent. It's the reason to read the book.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It was exactly the opposite for me. I tried Milligan's issue #1 and it did nothing for me so I dropped the book until Lemire took over and once he did, I really enjoyed it. The additions of Black Orchid, Frankenstein, and Amethyst helped to lure me in. The Nick Necro/Felix Faust storyline was probably my favorite arc.
    Sounds like it will be a good book for me either way. I've read little of Frankenstein but have very much enjoyed it. I like the horror/hallucinogenic/mysterious books like Constantine/Hellblazer and Sandman, but I also very much like when that aesthetic crosses and gels with superhero storytelling. I will be very interested to see what Lemire does with this.

On a side note, there are many instances of Hellblazer, Doom Patrol and JL Dark where there are all these outbursts of craziness and really odd things going on. Like in the first volume kids all over the world are turning on parents and caretakers and stabbing them with knives. Seems like this kind of thing is happening all the time, yet none of the other books seems to reference it - not even a little nod to "that thing that happened with the kids last month." Are we to expect that when the effects of magic have been reversed, that peoples' memories either change or time is somehow reversed - a "It didn't happen" effect? Or do we just kind of expect that people get over these things and deal with it in their own way?

I ask because many cape books tend to somewhat deal with the fallout of physical events. In the issue following a big fight they might show a rebuilding effort or the characters have dialogue that mentions property damage and the aftermath somewhat. I've noticed that in magic/horror-tinged books the fallout is almost never discussed. Has there been any books that deal with why the fallout isn't mentioned later? Or is just an editorial decision to just pick up the pieces and move on?

Also, are there any books where I can read more about Dove and/or Deadman? Does Deadman have his own series in the New 52? And is Hawk and Dove any good? I've noticed that Lefield writes and does the art, and he's never been one of my favorites either as a writer or artist. I've flipped through the book and there doesn't seem to be much substance to Hawk and Dove, many panels seem sparce or empty save the character movement. Is it worth reading?
    Last edited by mysterygeekboi; 05-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Also, are there any books where I can read more about Dove and/or Deadman? Does Deadman have his own series in the New 52?
    The first few issues of DC Comics Presents starred Deadman. They were by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang, and they have a good reputation. Unfortunately, the tpb also includes Dan Didio's take on Challengers of the Unknown, which wasn't well liked.

I didn't read it with Milligan, but started with Lemire. His run was okay, but I think it's rocking now with DeMatteis writing the book. He's great with combining both the supernatural/horror elements with the the superheroics. I love this title now.
    WHO DAT?!!

Amazing Member

So...the end of Milligan's run - Rise of the Vampires. It seems to just end with Andrew Bennett showing up. Then Lemire's run starts with The Black Room and it's like - huge time jump. Are we to just assume that it's a foregone conclusion that when Bennett showed up that the fight with Caine was won?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I had high expectations when it started, but other than Milligan's issue 2, which focused on the complicated relationship between Deadman and Dove, I've been let down.
    Was that ever wrapped up? I loved Dawn and Boston together, and have been hoping she'd make another appearance. Granted, there's not really time for things like characterization when you're constantly entangled in crossovers...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

So...the end of Milligan's run - Rise of the Vampires. It seems to just end with Andrew Bennett showing up. Then Lemire's run starts with The Black Room and it's like - huge time jump. Are we to just assume that it's a foregone conclusion that when Bennett showed up that the fight with Caine was won?
    Yea, they basically switched powers and Bennett made short work out of Caine. I Think I, Vampire issues show this in better detail.

As for the series, I think I'm going to drop it if next issue isn't super amazing. Only time that I sincerely enjoyed it was during crossover with I, Vampire, then when Trinity War happened and then during Blight crossover. This thing just isn't working out for me unless it is involved with some other book/storyline that I care about.

Amazing Member

I wish they would have made it more clear that it was an I, Vampire crossover - even a little "to be continued in the pages of I, Vampire" kind of thing would have been nice. Until this, I'd seen them put salient issues of crossovers together. Now I kind of feel like I'll have to go back and read these issues again once I get I, Vampire.

I read the first volume and didn't particularly get on with it, which is a shame because I was looking forward to having one title to follow of all the supernatural characters. It spent almost the whole story assembling the team, only for them to separate a few pages later. I also hate Milligan's writing style. Also a little bug-bear, I just wish they'd called it Shadowpact rather than Justice League Dark.

Also, are there any books where I can read more about Dove and/or Deadman?
    It's not just Deadman, but he's pretty much the main character of Brightest Day, and his relationship with Dove starts there.

Milligan's run on X-books such as X-Force
    C'mon. X-Force/X-Statix is the best X-run ever.
    He's definitely a lot better when he's writing Morrison-esque, trippy, hallucinogenic magic stuff.
    Pete's been writing that way before Grant.
    BB