View Poll Results: Are You Tired of the Krakoan Era Yet ??

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm Hating it

38 38.00%
  • No - I'm Enjoying it

62 62.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Who even brought up 'going back to the school'? Where is your example of someone being challenged on coming up with a new idea? Why does someone have to come up with a better idea (i.e., one that you like) to explain why they are not happy with the books right now? This is a strawman and really is not needed. Your opinion on Krakoa stands on its own merit. Your enjoyment of the stories happens whether other people like it or not. If someone came up with a brilliant idea would it change your mind on this era?
    The purpose of this thread is asking if people want to move on from Krakoa. So if you're so unhappy with it, where do people want it to go? And, again no one hardly ever replies with what direction they feel the X-Men were to take if Krakoa was to go away.

But you're right, it isn't going to change my mind one way other the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I keep going back to the "detour" they decided to take from Hickman's roadmap as the cause of the bored feeling some feel. I feel it to an extent to. He had a 3 year plan and imo starting with X Lives/Deaths is when you could feel the holding pattern begin. It's interesting because a lot of great stories have come out of this time and some really solid issues, but overall there's a feeling of when are they going to get back on track? That seems to be with Fall of X as it's now been said a few times that much of what is coming was discussed at the very beginning of the X-Slack retreats and chats. That's why many stories seemed to drag on because they were meant to conclude sooner. We often talk about the Colossus plot going on for 4 years and now we see his issue of Immortal is connected to the Fall of X.

Hopefully things will feel exciting again as they steer the ship back to its original course.
    Yes, I think we all can see the Krakoa era should have gone to the next fase already, like Hickman intended, but they chose to hold to the current status quo, and imo, the whole era lost momentum.

Now, I won't pretend to be a fan of the current fase, mostly because Cyclops is insignificant in it, but I see a lot of great stuff in Krakoa, some great ideas, but for something that should in theory move the x-line forward it feels like is moving in circles for a while.

We all assumed Hickman wanted to blow up Krakoa, but I really don't think he would do it, and honestly, we will always be asking how it would have been if he was allowed to execute his original plans. One thing is certain, no one would be bored with whatever he would have done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, I think we all can see the Krakoa era should have gone to the next fase already, like Hickman intended, but they chose to hold to the current status quo, and imo, the whole era lost momentum.

Now, I won't pretend to be a fan of the current fase, mostly because Cyclops is insignificant in it, but I see a lot of great stuff in Krakoa, some great ideas, but for something that should in theory move the x-line forward it feels like is moving in circles for a while.

We all assumed Hickman wanted to blow up Krakoa, but I really don't think he would do it, and honestly, we will always be asking how it would have been if he was allowed to execute his original plans. One thing is certain, no one would be bored with whatever he would have done.
    The he blows up theory was mostly based on his other books. He might have broke the trend this time, but I think no matter the outcome, Krakoa would have been much less the focus going forward. The worldbuilding setup for Krakoa always felt like it was more intended for a temporary use than a permanent new status quo.

I want it to stay on but with a new Quiet Council. Get rid of the villains on it and replace with Madam Webb, Changeling, Tobias Messenger, Collective Man, and Lightbright.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I’m ready for Fall of X to shake $#!t up for sure. And I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m even more intrigued by whatever Hickman is cooking up over in Ultimate Invasion than anything going on in the X-line right now.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Who even brought up 'going back to the school'? Where is your example of someone being challenged on coming up with a new idea? Why does someone have to come up with a better idea (i.e., one that you like) to explain why they are not happy with the books right now? This is a strawman and really is not needed. Your opinion on Krakoa stands on its own merit. Your enjoyment of the stories happens whether other people like it or not. If someone came up with a brilliant idea would it change your mind on this era?
    As someone who is enjoying for the kost part what is going in with x-men Krakoa era, I would like to add that it is less a straw man argument and more the reflection that at thisnpoint there is not so much an alternative, and this si key issue. Both for fans and authors the old " back to basics" trick does not work as it did because well the "basics" nowadays are not so far away that you can check up and see for what they actually were, for good or for bad.( if I want to read Claremont xmen I have them MULTIPLE VERSIONS included digital) and without hickman there are too many view of where to go, giving krakoa this pulverised feeling. Add to this the stagnated situation of the main big two superhero universe where nothing can change too much, everything must still give the illusion of real world( even if in the end 85 percent of marvle and dc comics have 0 to nothing to do with real world, bordering in supernatural techno thriller or sci fantasy territory) and you see why asking what is the alternative is not such insane question.
    Remeber before Krakoa era we got, multiple genocide extinction event, bizarre pocket dimension trip( rember guys Nate Gray say no to sex) a sad period of vs. Events( no one ever talked much about what odd trend it was, not just in comics, movies and to certian extent other medium too suffered about this....) it was not good oeriodnfor the x-men with mostly forgettable stories that at the best were decently drawn and inked

I voted for the era to end, but I wish that the option hadn't been written as " Yes -I'm Hating it". I think that Krakoa has been a good period in time for the X-Men, but I think that I'm ready to move on from it.

I'm one of those who wish that Hickman's original plans and ending had been put into place after Inferno. The comics have been on a steady decline since then, for me at least.

A big problem that I have with the comics right now is that there isn't really enough focus on what it means to live on the island for the mutants. At least not like it was in the beginning. Culture, politics, that sort of stuff. If Marvel isn't going to do stories about what everyday life is like on the island than the mutants may as well not live there. To me that is the biggest draw of Krakoa.

Right now I don't even think that you even need the island to write most of the comics. X-Men Red, X-Men, New Mutants, X-force, Captain Britain, all of them. A few small changes and you could write these comics using just about any base of operations from any era of the X-Men to tell the current stories. You could even do this stuff from the old mansion. Even Immortal X-Men doesn't need Krakoa to be a comic. The Quiet Council could have just as easily have existed during Eutopia as it does now. The X-Force team worked better during Eutopia than it does now. X-Men Red could have used Eutopia as a background and launching point instead of Krakoa. If all of this is the case than I don't see how the island is that big of a deal. Fall of X is going to have to do a lot to make me change my mind about this.

I think that the comics are running the risk of holding on to Krakoa longer than need be. Sort of the same way that the X-Men held on to the Claremont and Morrison eras for to long after those two writers left the X-Men. Fall of X needs to really shake things up to stop this from happening.

I really feel as if to many former villains are being given to much room on Krakoa. Apocalypse, Sinister, Mystique, Destiny, Omega Red, Daken, all of them.

These are just my opinions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I love it. The writing isn't as strong as it was, or could be, but it's all very exciting. The X-Men really need more fresh blood with big ideas.

The X-Franchise needed to be pushed forward, and focusing on building a community vs building bridges is compelling.

As others of said, I don't know how going back to the school is going to really change anything or make things more interesting. And those who complain seem to have no alternative when posed with what they think the franchise needs.
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be either or? Why not both or something in between? Most every community I've ever seen has & NEEDS bridges.

That's not true, more worldbuilding & focus on character development, as opposed to overarching, all-encompassing, thematic story arcs. And that's just for starters, off the top of my head, from reading this thread.

Also, NO MORE OVERKILL of SINISTER's QC, or it's gonna kill Krakoa... if it already hasn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    ... Sort of the same way that the X-Men held on to the Claremont and Morrison eras for to long after those two writers left the X-Men. ...
    Let's not forget the most recent offender, Bendis' O5 noobs, who WAY overstayed their welcome.

May 2023 be the year of NO crossovers or big events (except for the Gala). I like the idea of Fall of X impacting all the books but let's let the books coast on their own for the rest of the year after Sins. Goddess please.
    Last edited by JB; 03-18-2023 at 11:53 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I don't hate it, but I'm extremely bored with this era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    May 2023 be the year of NO crossovers or big events (except for the Gala). I like the idea of Fall of X impacting all the books but let's let the books coast on their own for the rest of the year after Sins. Goddess please.
    It's gonna take more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Same. You just summed up my position in far fewer words. Ha.

For now I’m just reading Wolverine and will check out Ultimate Invasion to see what Hickman’s cooking up there that will “transform the Marvel Universe”. At least until I see what new books and teams will be offered with Fall of X later this year.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Same. I don't think they need to get rid of Krakoa, just shake things up. Maybe get rid of both resurrection and the gates. They just make things too easy. While we're at it, have more prominent mutants who don't want to live on Krakoa or at an embassy. I'm not saying have a civil war, just have a team that's more into integration.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be either or? Why not both or something in between? Most every community I've ever seen has & NEEDS bridges.

That's not true, more worldbuilding & focus on character development, as opposed to overarching, all-encompassing, thematic story arcs. And that's just for starters, off the top of my head, from reading this thread.

Also, NO MORE OVERKILL of SINISTER's QC, or it's gonna kill Krakoa... if it already hasn't.
    Both...both would be nice if possible. Too much chzracter in the "void" if feels at best like Waiting fo godot, too much overarching plot and you feel like reading a good sourcebook for the coolest RPG ever that you are not ALLOWED TO PLAY(till i convert all Krakoa era to Palladium's Heroes Unlimited that's it) both...and you have A Song of Ice and Fire(BTW I am kind of the loop...the latest book is still in the dreamstream or there is some hope to see it before thermal death fo the universe? I have abet that Guyver manga will finish beforr Martin's opus)