Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why Is WB so Hard when it comes to Batman outside cartoons and video games ?

After reading this CBR related article (https://www.cbr.com/why-batman-stori...-so-appealing/) it got me thinking: As fans of the Batman and his mythos: Why is WB so stingy when it comes to seeing Batman in other forms of media outside animation and video games ?

As Batman fans what do you think of this ?

Also the reason I didn't do this in the other medias sections is due to well...it's Batman and his mythos and a subject like this isn't just limited to just TV. Plus more responses if I went to the MAIN Batman themed source on these forums.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    After reading this CBR related article (https://www.cbr.com/why-batman-stori...-so-appealing/) it got me thinking: As fans of the Batman and his mythos: Why is WB so stingy when it comes to seeing Batman in other forms of media outside animation and video games ?

As Batman fans what do you think of this ?

Also the reason I didn't do this in the other medias sections is due to well...it's Batman and his mythos and a subject like this isn't just limited to just TV. Plus more responses if I went to the MAIN Batman themed source on these forums.
    I remember Bruce Timm had said that the execs didn't want consumer confusion. This was a big reason Batman disappeared from the DCAU when The Batman started to air.

For example, imagine if Batman was introduced into the Arrowverse the WB execs think that consumers would think the Batman from the Arrowverse is the same one from Dawn of Justice or Batman Begins.

And execs never want to confuse consumers because in their mind "confusion" leads to consumers turning away from their products.

This is why we have reboots in superhero comics, because execs know that continuity cannot last too long because consumers get confused about how to follow the story.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I remember Bruce Timm had said that the execs didn't want consumer confusion. This was a big reason Batman disappeared from the DCAU when The Batman started to air.

For example, imagine if Batman was introduced into the Arrowverse the WB execs think that consumers would think the Batman from the Arrowverse is the same one from Dawn of Justice or Batman Begins.

And execs never want to confuse consumers because in their mind "confusion" leads to consumers turning away from their products.

This is why we have reboots in superhero comics, because execs know that continuity cannot last too long because consumers get confused about how to follow the story.
    I'm with you up until the reboot ^^

because even though the intention is to make things less confusing, someone has to keep some things from old continuity and then mix it up with the new. Bonus point if they keep the same numbering.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm with you up until the reboot ^^

because even though the intention is to make things less confusing, someone has to keep some things from old continuity and then mix it up with the new. Bonus point if they keep the same numbering.
    I totally agree, but this is why they always call it a "jumping on point" there may be nods to old storylines but only if you are in the know or if there is a editor's note.

However, it isn't always smooth sailing' see DC's Rebirth which has only added to confusion as to what is cannon and what is not.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 10-21-2019 at 07:35 AM.

The only issue is the executives are idiots. We're in a world of Thanos and Crisis in Arrowverse. The auduence are genre savvy about Alternative Earths

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The only issue is the executives are idiots. We're in a world of Thanos and Crisis in Arrowverse. The auduence are genre savvy about Alternative Earths
    True.

But executives are idiots and they always assume the worst from the audience.

I think it's more about diluting the brand. There's still an exclusivity to Batman, when he's in something people get excited, start buzzing, and expect all stops to be pulled. WB probably thinks that having some middling TV actor playing Batman while wearing a bargain basement costume (did you see how bad the cowl looked in that recent episode of Arrow?!) in a comparatively low budget CW show would mess with all that, and I don't blame them.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I think it's more about diluting the brand. There's still an exclusivity to Batman, when he's in something people get excited, start buzzing, and expect all stops to be pulled. WB probably thinks that having some middling TV actor playing Batman while wearing a bargain basement costume (did you see how bad the cowl looked in that recent episode of Arrow?!) in a comparatively low budget CW show would mess with all that, and I don't blame them.
    I guess they let the CW have Superman because no one gives a damn about Superman anymore? We are getting three different Supermen on the CW this year. And two Lois Lanes. Plus we already had and will have Lex Luthor again on the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I guess they let the CW have Superman because no one gives a damn about Superman anymore? We are getting three different Supermen on the CW this year. And two Lois Lanes. Plus we already had and will have Lex Luthor again on the CW.
    Superman hardly ever shows up on Supergirl, the new Supermen are only going to be around for the Crisis event and then hardly if ever seen again, and WB currently have no plans for Superman in films at all so it will be years before we get another Superman movie at which point who knows what Supes status in the CW will be. A lot of us Superman fans are pretty unhappy about all that. There's even rumors will get a 70s/80s period piece Supergirl movie before we get another Superman movie (which if true could maybe spell the end of CW's Supergirl). So yeah, WB doesn't give a damn about Superman in this particular moment in time.

True.

But executives are idiots and they always assume the worst from the audience.
    Just today I saw someone complaining about all the continuity disparities between Titans and Batwoman. So the execs do have a point. Even now, not everyone gets the concept of different continuities.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Previous performance?

Lois and Clark was on TV for quite a while. Smallville even longer.

There may be the idea that Superman does better on the small screen and Batman does better on the big screen.

Spectacular Member

That"s something i quite don't understand. What is the problem with different actors playing the same character ? Do people really think Pierce Brosnan's James bond is not the same character than Daniel Craig's James Bond ?
    Why Christian Bales' batman can't be Ben Affleck's batman ? It's the same character. No need for a reboot each time a different actor plays it.

Ultimate Member

Meanwhile we have 3 versions of Robin running around.

I guess those execs don't realize EVERYONE can walk into a Target and see......

EVERY version of Batman on DVD. Along with every version of Power Rangers, Sailor Moon, GI Joe and the saga known as Transformers & Dr Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Previous performance?

Lois and Clark was on TV for quite a while. Smallville even longer.

There may be the idea that Superman does better on the small screen and Batman does better on the big screen.
    Which is kind of ironic because Superman should be all about spectacular. Flying about in vast open countrysides. Fighting bigger than life villains. Fending off ICBMs and tanks and fighter jets and giant robots.
    With Batman all you really need is an empty warehouse, an alley way, a rooftop. Fighting some jamokes in costumes. Something that easily fits on a TV screen. That was the 1966 Batman TV show. That is Arrow.
    That is Batwoman. But it can't be Batman?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Which is kind of ironic because Superman should be all about spectacular. Flying about in vast open countrysides. Fighting bigger than life villains. Fending off ICBMs and tanks and fighter jets and giant robots.
    With Batman all you really need is an empty warehouse, an alley way, a rooftop. Fighting some jamokes in costumes. Something that easily fits on a TV screen. That was the 1966 Batman TV show. That is Arrow.
    That is Batwoman. But it can't be Batman?
    Then you'd need a decent writer and an actual arc that goes somewhere and has not been done to death with Bruce Wayne. Good luck.