Page 20 of 99 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Kind of wondering if Pike is perhaps taking a break from starfleet since he knows what's going to happen to him in the future and is running from it/hoping to prevent it. (Which would presumabely leave Una in command, as she probably was while he was working with Discovery).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of wondering if Pike is perhaps taking a break from starfleet since he knows what's going to happen to him in the future and is running from it/hoping to prevent it. (Which would presumabely leave Una in command, as she probably was while he was working with Discovery).
    The beard definitely said sabbatical to me.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Nice trailer. Hope remains high!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The beard definitely said sabbatical to me.
    Agreed. Man saw a lot while in charge of Discovery. I could understand needing some time to process what you now know your fate to be.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It'd be interesting if the series maybe had some segments with post-Menagerie Pike and Vina, either as a framing story or a sort of coda at the end.

Although their real bodies of course are not in good shape, wonder if that effects their lifespan on Talos V with the virtual ones, meaning that Pike & Vina could show up on the other shows, even Discovery again.

Looks like we're getting Kirk earlier than we thought.

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-paul-w...-captain-kirk/

Wonder as with the other TOS characters showing up as part of Pike's crew (Chapel, Uhura etc) if there's any episode that said that Kirk wasn't already on Enterprise? Maybe he gets transferred there after the Farragut inciddent, and Pike mentors him similarly to the movies. Either that or he's on a separate ship. (Pretty sure it's been made clear Enterprise was definitely his first captaincy though).

Looks like we're getting Kirk earlier than we thought.
    https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-paul-w...-captain-kirk/
    Are we really? Is there anyone on this board that didn't think that Kurtzman wouldn't cram a Kirk appearance into this show at the first possible opportunity? There is a crewmember linked to Khan on the ship for Pete's sake....

Wonder as with the other TOS characters showing up as part of Pike's crew (Chapel, Uhura etc) if there's any episode that said that Kirk wasn't already on Enterprise? Maybe he gets transferred there after the Farragut inciddent, and Pike mentors him similarly to the movies. Either that or he's on a separate ship. (Pretty sure it's been made clear Enterprise was definitely his first captaincy though).
    I'm thinking he shows up in the session finale.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm surprised at Kirk's appearance so soon.
    This is to be a Pike show. I'm trying not to read too much into this. My hopes are for several seasons of a Christopher Pike led Enterprise.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This is to be a Pike show. I'm trying not to read too much into this. My hopes are for several seasons of a Christopher Pike led Enterprise.
    Maybe Kirk will be serving on the lower decks or something? The last detail we know about Kirk's career before captaining the Enterprise was that he was a lieutenant on the Farragut in 2257 (during the second half of DSC Season one and first half of Season Two), specifically the blood devil incident from "Obsession" (TOS). So, basically, the new show can do almost anything and it would fit the current canon (although, admittedly, the current model is to treat canon as a loose guideline, so all bets are off, really).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Are you really? Discovery had Spock, Pike and the Enterprise showing up in the second season

I'm just hoping it's good. It's probably just an appearance for the season finale. If Anson Mount found something better good for him, he leaves the franchise as the best Pike ever.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I'm fond of nostalgia, but I'd much rather see a show about Pike and Number One and various other characters I don't know (or folk that never got explored in the old series much, like Elizabeth Denner and Gary Mitchell!), than the adventures of young Kirk, young Spock, young Uhura, young Scotty, etc.

I've already seen those. Twice, thanks to the recent movies.

Mitchell I think comes on along with Kirk, I think he personally requests him as the helmsman. I think it's also inferred to Dehner is new as well.

With Kirk along, I think we'll probably at least see Mitchell and possibly the Marcuses as well. Be interesting if we have a kindler, gentler version of Alexander in the Prime timeline....(Given that even before the Kelvin brancing it's possible he asked Pike to enlist)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-18-2022 at 06:37 AM.

Kind of interesting if they'll find some explanation for the Enterprise design changes going into TOS, or just go with "it always looked like that"

The Discovery novels, although not really canon might offer an explanation, they have an unconventional engineer during the Klingon War which might explain the TMP style pylons.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Kind of interesting if they'll find some explanation for the Enterprise design changes going into TOS, or just go with "it always looked like that"

The Discovery novels, although not really canon might offer an explanation, they have an unconventional engineer during the Klingon War which might explain the TMP style pylons.
    Just going with it always looked like that is the best way to go.

The original Enterprise looked the way it did because it was the best they could do with the budget they had and the time allotted. They have more money and more time now and on top of that our technology has advanced so it should look more modern.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-20-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I think some of the Powers That Be have more or less implied that they see the Disco-prise as a total retcon of the TOS design. I recall the actual designers going on record that they wanted to make the new design one that could be plausibly refitted into the TOS look, which would make only the "Cage"/"Where No Man Has Gone Before" configuration "problematic" canonically speaking.

That said, I think DSC was produced with the idea of giving the franchise a visual facelift, irregardless of the continuity errors, so there's probably no in-universe explanation that will work perfectly. Beyond just declaring the canon broken now, I think we're left with either assuming that the Disco-prise is the one true version of the Enterprise pre-movies or that it should be considered artistic license along the lines of recasting an actor and that the two are "really" the same thing.

The Powers That Be have been pretty inconsistent on whether the DSC tie-ins (and the PIC, as well?) have any canonical value, depending on the interview. My interpretation is to count them until the TV show contradicts them (although some of the novels have gone out of their way to reconcile discrepancies with the TV show). Not saying I'm right, but that seems to be the only position that makes sense, all thing considered.

The closest they've come to addressing the Disco-prise was a throwaway line in the Enterprise War novel, which mentioned that the ship had been refitted for the special mission of the book (the novel takes place during DSC Season 1 and leads right into Season 2). It's not perfect (for example, it doesn't account for all the remodeling of the interiors), but it was an explanation. Unfortunately, the Short Treks episodes ("Q&A," "Ask Not," "The Trouble With Edward") showing the Disco-prise in a pre-"Cage" setting, making a refit explanation highly implausible. (The animated short "Ephriam and Dot" does show the Disco-prise with the TOS interiors, among other pieces of artistic license, so I kinda think the short isn't meant to be taken too seriously, least of all since it's implied to be an in-universe short film).

On the other hand, DSC did contradict itself on the Disco-ized TOS uniforms (in Season 2, it's mentioned that they're a new design, but we see them in the Short Treks episodes set years before), so the flip-flopping between refits isn't an unique problem.

Long story short, I think it's best to understand that DSC, PIC, SNW, Prodigy, and possibly LDS (although they revel in continuity of all kinds) are being made under the idea that they don't have to match up everything 100% and that accidents to do happen even with the best of intentions (compare the Short Trek "Calypso" to DSC Seasons 3 and 4). It's just a TV show franchise after all, not a divinely-inspired holy book.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)