Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Have to agree with some of the other posts on here and say that I was surprised how much I liked this. Had no intention of watching this after the trailer but after watching football on fox pretty much all day yesterday, I saw about 50 different ads for it and I decided to give it a shot. McFarlane actually looks like he is taking this seriously based on the first episode and it does feel like a humorous homage to the original series rather than a parody. If the budget stays consistent and the humor stays at about the same level, where it is present but not overwhelming, then this will certainly be a series I could see being really good. The only sad thing is that this is on Fox and typically anything I like on Fox gets cancelled within one season.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

BANNED

It was nice for the most part, but I did find it kind of distracting how it was lit and how shooting with HD cameras made the whole thing look. The whole thing was pretty flat looking, and lacked the colors of the original Star Trek. Funnily enough while looking for something to watch during the commercials I happened upon the Original Series playing on H&I, and it's a much better looking show.

Beyond that I wish they'd of used models for some stuff. It would be cool if they'd do it for the ships and stuff, but when they landed at the science institute I really wish that'd been some cool model in the background as opposed to a normal location. It really feels like it needed to lean into the visual aesthetic as hard as possible given how straight it mostly plays it, then at least there'd be that visual element to play into the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    It's far less comedic than they advertised. I wish they had left out the comedic elements all together.
    I agree with you. My husband and I gave it a try. There was no laugh track like in the commercials. Wasn't there a laugh track?
    It was still a "nice funny" in several spots but I just don't know yet if we'll continue on.
    I want to like this show, especially after seeing trailers to the new so called Star Trek blech coming out.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Good stuff, good stuff. And i totally agree about that show being more Star Treky than Discovery appears to be. (for now)

I'm going to keep an eye on it for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I thought it was really bad. I'm not sure this will make a full season. The jokes didn't work the fight was very A Team with 20 bad guys unable to hit the broad side of a barn. The ship fight awful. The acting/writing awful. I was looking forward to this for months too.

Adrianne Palicki is growing quite the resume of awful with Wonder Woman, Agents of Shield, and the Orville.
    Are you serious?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Are you serious?
    Agents of Shield was starting to get better when she was on it, but was pretty awful early on in it's show.

In any case, no mention of her role in GI Joe 2. Or the Wonder Woman pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Agents of Shield was starting to get better when she was on it, but was pretty awful early on in it's show.

In any case, no mention of her role in GI Joe 2. Or the Wonder Woman pilot!
    The wonder woman pilot was mentioned. G I joe 2 wasn't that bad.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Incredible Member

Just finished watching the pilot and it was alright but I felt that it seems to be covering the same ground that TNG went over years ago. Needs to be more original and the sets less sterile (I'm a bit tired of the lounge/reception area like bridge, too much beige). TNG got off to a slow start in the first season so I'm going to give Orville the same chance. But given that this show is on a network instead of syndication I'm hoping it last long enough to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    the sets less sterile
    Thought about that too watching this first episode. Everything's so freaking clean lol.

Ok, it's the future and all but that doesn't like a realistic environment to me. Not one with living beings in it at least.

Another not so little thing i kinda like this time but who could get old real fast : the humor.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

That's one thing that always put me off about the Trek shows... they always looked so clean and sterile, with people wearing identical clothing. Even in the scenes on Earth in the later series and the movies, everyone looked like they were living in a movie set. Really made me think the future must be a very dull place, unless you're out in space having adventures. Maybe that's what they wanted to convey.

I always wanted to see a Trek series that focused on something other than Starfleet. Let's see a show from the POV of smugglers or mercenaries... Guardians of the Galaxy type stuff, not military hierarchies and prime directives.

Budget limitation is most likely a big factor concerning Star Trek and how "fake" some environments may look. But i think it also may very well be the desired effect. Like, we are motherfreaking Starfleet, Federation baby, we are disciplined, we are civilized, we have fancy replicators and always clean uniforms you darn space peasants.

But when you see for example a Klingon bird of prey bridge or most other alien ships really, it's more messy, not as clean, it looks less efficient and well attended.

Retired

Well, it's clearly Canadian. The cleanlinees didn't even register with me, because I'm Canadian and that's how it is in most government buildings and the Orville is just a government building in space. They have a union--clearly a social democratic system of government, like in Canada--and in most places that have governmental unions, there's a lot of extra people who have nothing to do, so to give them work they are always cleaning. I used to work in a government run hospital and the floors were constantly being cleaned--then the hospital was privatized and you'd go in there and the floors were scum.

The big tip-off that it's Canadian--Victor Garber is the Admiral, you can't get more Canadian than Victor Garber. Wkipedia tells me that Admiral Halsey was an American, but I know "Admiral Halsey" as a song by Paul McCartney. British/American can't get more Canadian than that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    That's one thing that always put me off about the Trek shows... they always looked so clean and sterile, with people wearing identical clothing. Even in the scenes on Earth in the later series and the movies, everyone looked like they were living in a movie set. Really made me think the future must be a very dull place, unless you're out in space having adventures. Maybe that's what they wanted to convey.

I always wanted to see a Trek series that focused on something other than Starfleet. Let's see a show from the POV of smugglers or mercenaries... Guardians of the Galaxy type stuff, not military hierarchies and prime directives.
    I have said for years that TNG was like "Space Frasier" only without the humor. Lets all listen to classical music and drink tea while meandering across the galaxy. That has never seemed realistic. At least Deep Space Nine touched on humanities darker traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have said for years that TNG was like "Space Frasier" only without the humor. Lets all listen to classical music and drink tea while meandering across the galaxy. That has never seemed realistic. At least Deep Space Nine touched on humanities darker traits.
    All Trek shows did that though, not just DS9.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, it's supposed to be an Utopia where every trouble was solved.

there are plenty of shows out there for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    meandering? They got into trouble every week. They dealt will all sorts of issues.

These posts read as the reason why JJ turned trek into bugs bunny where everyone is screaming and shooting all the time. God forbid having a sci-fi show where people talk.