Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yup. Remember, the only Superman stuff I read and watched was in the first paragraph, and I paid more attention to the main character than anything else. In between, I know of the character from pop cultural reference, but that's about as much as I know.

So to continue, I started paying attention to Lois in particular, and then it clicked. Lois is an investigative reporter. My favorite childhood character, Tintin, is an investigative reporter. I was confused at first why people would want to read a story starring Lois because I view it from the point of view of her as a supporting character to a superhero book, but on her own, if that is the type of story she can bring, then I'm interested.

411855._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The solo series never happened, but I already saw the potential, so I paid attention to her character during Rebirth. I noticed how she's the tough one and Clark's the dorky one. I love the interaction of the Super family. I noticed that she's very involved in all the plot, and when I saw she went undercover, I was like, yes! This is what I want to see!

Now, even though I was looking forward to reading Rebirth, I'm also really annoyed when something mess up with continuity. Even though it was an attempt to fix continuity or bring back something that people like. All the continuity adjustment that happened in Rebirth put me off from continuing. Even though I already like the Rebirth Super family.

So I decided, rather than continually being angry, I want to go back when things were a lot less messier, back to the beginning. Superman Golden Age Volume 1. Lois has been popular from the start and I wanted to see how it began.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-03-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

She was there from day 1 and she truly is awesome. What sets her apart from superheroes, is that she's as brave as the rest them but without the safety net of super powers. She incredibly smart and extremely self assured, how could I not love her?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

tumblr_p1zgsvZBV21s803s6o1_1280.jpg

Thought Blue lantern Lois was really cool in Nightwing new order. Would be cool to see her again.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yup. Remember, the only Superman stuff I read and watched was in the first paragraph, and I paid more attention to the main character than anything else. In between, I know of the character from pop cultural reference, but that's about as much as I know.

So to continue, I started paying attention to Lois in particular, and then it clicked. Lois is an investigative reporter. My favorite childhood character, Tintin, is an investigative reporter. I was confused at first why people would want to read a story starring Lois because I view it from the point of view of her as a supporting character to a superhero book, but on her own, if that is the type of story she can bring, then I'm interested.

411855._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The solo series never happened, but I already saw the potential, so I paid attention to her character during Rebirth. I noticed how she's the tough one and Clark's the dorky one. I love the interaction of the Super family. I noticed that she's very involved in all the plot, and when I saw she went undercover, I was like, yes! This is what I want to see!

Now, even though I was looking forward to reading Rebirth, I'm also really annoyed when something mess up with continuity. Even though it was an attempt to fix continuity or bring back something that people like. All the continuity adjustment that happened in Rebirth put me off from continuing. Even though I already like the Rebirth Super family.

So I decided, rather than continually being angry, I want to go back when things were a lot less messier, back to the beginning. Superman Golden Age Volume 1. Lois has been popular from the start and I wanted to see how it began.
    I think you will have more understanding of her character once you read Jeff Loveness's upcoming comic about her. Don't listen to those people who hate her because she has Superman/Clark/Kal wrapped around her little finger because they're obviously jealous lol
    Jeff talking about the comic at 8:31
    Last edited by cookies; 01-03-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

Thought Blue lantern Lois was really cool in Nightwing new order. Would be cool to see her again.
    I think the same. She was really cool. One good idea make her a blue lantern.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    I think you will have more understanding of her character once you read Jeff Loveness's upcoming comic about her. Don't listen to those people who hate her because she has Superman/Clark/Kal wrapped around her little finger because they're obviously jealous lol
    She does have him wrapped around her finger and he don't mind one bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    She does have him wrapped around her finger and he don't mind one bit.
    Yeah, look no further than the infamous AC#1004 ("I think I like the new us")

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=rpmaluki;4114492]She does have him wrapped around her finger and he don't mind one bit.[/QUOT]
    Jeff Loveness: she's the authority on Superman and Clark Kent.
    imagine being that powerful without any superpower XDDD

Last edited by cookies; 01-04-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

I also hope we see more of this rendition of Lois moving forward. The idea is fascinating.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You can tell he really is passionate about this story and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Beyond anything else, I'm so excited for how much positivity Bendis is bringing with him in his DC work and that's a lot of what I got from Loveness here. Hopefully he and his creative partners stick the landing!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'll check it out.

I don't even know that people hate her because of that. What I heard was the opposite. The whole damsel in distress thing.

Anyway, to continue where we left off, I read Superman Golden Age Vol. 1, and it surprised me how good and entertaining it was. To start with Superman, he's really extreme. As Clark he's extremely coward, as Superman he's extremely macho. It answered a lot of my question about why people can't tell Clark is Superman because they are extremely different.

Then there's Lois.

Lois. Is. Awesome. Lois takes no ****, Lois doesn't give a ****. Someone told her the job is too dangerous for a woman, she runs on her own and go anyway. She doesn't care how much the danger, if a guy or two or three, all obviously physically stronger than her, did a crime, she immediately break them down verbally and expose them. She faces problems head-on, which is why she absolutely despise Clark's cowardice.

She's also not above some dubious method like drugging Clark or tricking him that there's a story somewhere else, just so she can get to the headline first. Both her and Superman's personality in this early iteration are definitely more extreme, but entertaining.

Sure, she ends up getting in a lot of trouble, but it didn't feel annoying, unlike... I don't know why her damsel in distress moment in my previous read/watch didn't entertain me as much... maybe because her personality has mellowed out a lot in the modern era... she and Superman aren't as extreme so they don't stand out as much... or maybe the ones I watch/read didn't have her berating villains to their face before getting into trouble, so her strength didn't show... or maybe I just remember it wrong.

Either way, I really enjoy both characters, and this being written in the 40s I can see how it's really inspiring. Not only that, they do appear like equals. They are both tough in their own way and they clearly stand out above other characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You can tell he really is passionate about this story and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Beyond anything else, I'm so excited for how much positivity Bendis is bringing with him in his DC work and that's a lot of what I got from Loveness here. Hopefully he and his creative partners stick the landing!
    Me too! You can tell he really love Lois as a character. I

This is still on track to come out this month? I know it supposedly had a story by the writer from Bordertown that DC rightfully disowned, I hope they can get a fill in and it's not delayed.

I was going to pass on this, but then saw this video and immediately preordered it. These anthologies have been really solid this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't even know that people hate her because of that. What I heard was the opposite. The whole damsel in distress thing.
    This is such a ridiculous reason to latch onto now. It's a trope from the 1950's that they have been actively getting away from that since the 1980's. It's like complaining about Batman based on the Batman '66 show.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-05-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is still on track to come out this month? I know it supposedly had a story by the writer from Bordertown that DC rightfully disowned, I hope they can get a fill in and it's not delayed.

I was going to pass on this, but then saw this video and immediately preordered it. These anthologies have been really solid this year.

This is such a ridiculous reason to latch onto now. It's a trope from the 1950's that they have been actively getting away from that since the 1980's. It's like complaining about Batman based on the Batman '66 show.
    People made fun of Aquaman for generations because of the Superfriends cartoon. Even now, most non-comic fans think the classic Aquaman is still that joke character and the movie made him cool. A bad introduction to a character can be damning. Some will never see Superman, for example, as anything more than a tyrant waiting to happen that will inevitably lose to Batparagon thanks to Injustice. Never underestimate the depth of the first cut, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    People made fun of Aquaman for generations because of the Superfriends cartoon. Even now, most non-comic fans think the classic Aquaman is still that joke character and the movie made him cool. A bad introduction to a character can be damning. Some will never see Superman, for example, as anything more than a tyrant waiting to happen that will inevitably lose to Batparagon thanks to Injustice. Never underestimate the depth of the first cut, so to speak.
    Oh I completely get it. I just think its ridiculous. I'm hopeful that Rucka's Lois Lane book and the Metropolis series provide some better context for a Lois introduction not tethered to Superman. As much as I love the Lois & Clark team, I think giving her a mass media showcase for her as a great character seperate from the Superman tropes would really be a great thing. Same for Rucka's ethereal book. Give a solid comic book origin or introduction for her character THEN bring her into Superman's lore.