Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Link (Breath of the Wild) vs Avatar Aang

Two young heroes awakened from their 100 year slumber, which one comes on top

Standard arena rules, endgame gear and skills for Link and season 3 base form for Aang. If Link can take it under these conditions then factor in the Avatar state.

Link can slow down time and deflect massive laser beams
    Aang has a speed edge but it'll only save him for so long.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Link can slow down time and deflect massive laser beams
    Aang has a speed edge but it'll only save him for so long.
    And with endgame gear he also has a bow with and endless supply of light arrows.

Depending on how you view certain stamina draining gameplay mechanics, its unlikely Aang actually has a speed edge.

But yeah, beaten to it but Link is winning this. He is a VERY tanky fighter with loads of tricks. It might take a bit, but he should win.

Avatar state? I dunno. If Link can break through the shields then maybe? How tough were Aangs shields again?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Depending on how you view certain stamina draining gameplay mechanics, its unlikely Aang actually has a speed edge.

But yeah, beaten to it but Link is winning this. He is a VERY tanky fighter with loads of tricks. It might take a bit, but he should win.

Avatar state? I dunno. If Link can break through the shields then maybe? How tough were Aangs shields again?
    Ozai while under the comet boost wrecked them.

It's how the Avatar state got triggered in the final fight, actually. Ozai was whapping all hell out of him and straight up blasting through Aang's earth walls/barriers, and the final barrier break catapulted Aang into a rock that jabbed him just where it needed to. At which point the battle flipped due to Aang being able to just overwhelm Ozai.

That said, I personally don't see Link having trouble with the barriers, myself.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Yeah, Ancient Arrows + bombs etc are going to perform nicely against that sort of thing. Plus, if he sits still and turtles then Link will freeze him in time and unload properly.

Let's say he starts in Avatar state. Didnt he have a big air bubble protecting him? I loved that fight but it's been forever since I've seen it.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yeah, Ancient Arrows + bombs etc are going to perform nicely against that sort of thing. Plus, if he sits still and turtles then Link will freeze him in time and unload properly.

Let's say he starts in Avatar state. Didnt he have a big air bubble protecting him? I loved that fight but it's been forever since I've seen it.
    At the end of the series, full Avatar state had an air sphere and ring of water, earth and fire in constant orbit around Aang. Problem is the arena has no water for him to bend so he's limited to three out of four elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    At the end of the series, full Avatar state had an air sphere and ring of water, earth and fire in constant orbit around Aang. Problem is the arena has no water for him to bend so he's limited to three out of four elements.
    IIRC, only the air component was really shielding him though, right? The other stuff was most for offensive maneuvers.
    - big_adventure

IIRC, only the air component was really shielding him though, right? The other stuff was most for offensive maneuvers.
    I mean, at that point he was just fully directing all the elements with his mind. The air shields were "always on" for lack of a better term, but he could easily pull up more rocks for defensive moves if he wanted. Avatar State Aang has crazy levels of power. Like... he could just like open a giant pit in the ground under Link at the bell and then slam it shut on him, even if Link is durable enough to survive, I don't think he can get back to the surface.

I haven't played BotW but I've watched my housemates play it to completion a couple of times so I might not know his full abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, at that point he was just fully directing all the elements with his mind. The air shields were "always on" for lack of a better term, but he could easily pull up more rocks for defensive moves if he wanted. Avatar State Aang has crazy levels of power. Like... he could just like open a giant pit in the ground under Link at the bell and then slam it shut on him, even if Link is durable enough to survive, I don't think he can get back to the surface.

I haven't played BotW but I've watched my housemates play it to completion a couple of times so I might not know his full abilities.
    He's quick enough for that to not be that much of an issue. It's essentially "bell dings, Link slows/stops time and punctures Aang's lung with a Light Arrow in slow/frozen time."

Aang isn't thinking "pit" faster than Link can think "time shenanigans" essentially. At which point it's Link's fight to lose.

Though being trapped underground wouldn't bug him much.

Arx Inosaan

He's quick enough for that to not be that much of an issue. It's essentially "bell dings, Link slows/stops time and punctures Aang's lung with a Light Arrow in slow/frozen time."

Aang isn't thinking "pit" faster than Link can think "time shenanigans" essentially. At which point it's Link's fight to lose.

Though being trapped underground wouldn't bug him much.
    You got feats on that?

First, Aang is wicked fast with his whole parrying explosions bit

Second (to my knowledge) Link can only freeze objects in time for a short time with Stasis (which I think has fairly severe range limitations) and has quickened reflexes on his arrow aiming rather than actually being able to actually slow time like as an ability.

Third, they are at 100 feet distance. I don't recall seeing any arrows in the game that Aang couldn't dodge or block given his excessively good dodge game and earth bending.

Stasis can be used on enemies/organics. Not simply objects.

About 20s in he uses it on a bokoblin.

Arx Inosaan

As for his speed, he routinely and casually is able to dodge arrows, and laser beams and while I'm reticent to say the laser beams are especially fast; still confident enough to say Aang isn't blitzing him.

Arx Inosaan

For another feat on Link's speed here's something from a journal entry in the game: "The little guy is also incredibly strong! He said sometimes when he focuses, it feels like time slows down. Heh! I really like that guy."

I know text is flimsy rumbles evidence, but this seems to heavily imply that Link only being able to "slow down time" in flurry strikes and arrow time is a gameplay mechanic, and that canonically he really just needs to concentrate to pull it off

As for his speed, he routinely and casually is able to dodge arrows, and laser beams and while I'm reticent to say the laser beams are especially fast; still confident enough to say Aang isn't blitzing him.
    Okay, so you've quasi answered maybe one of my points.

I know stasis can be used on enemies, my point was more based around the range limitations. As I recall, I don't think you can use it on things that are 100 feet away.

Even if we allow for the relative slowdown as a basis for enhanced reflexes, I'm not seeing how he's winning this. If Aang is full Avatar State, he literally just has to think and Link is falling into a canyon that opens up beneath his feet. Conversely, Link has to either pull out his sheikh slate or raise his bow, notch an arrow and fire to take an offensive action.

That's not a quickdraw that Link wants to get into for my money.

Even sans Avatar State, Aang could just as easily flip up a massive rock shield with his opening move and throw that at Link.

Aang has too many good options for my liking here. Link is more modular is his abilities and his range game is nowhere near as strong or as versatile as his opponents.