Page 371 of 750 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381421471 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 11243
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    SUre... like I said, it couldn't be sustained. Though realistially I don't think ANY writer could have maintained the numbers or the buzz that Coates initially got.
    Coates got buzz BEFORE the first BP trailer.

Because places that generally IGNORE comics as a whole had no issue talking to Coates about his comic. Along with the fact when someone interviews him-they toss in he'a a writer of BP.

That is free press.

Once the movie came out ALL Black Panther stuff saw sales boost-no how bad the book was. Once we got past season one-folks slowly started leaving.
    To make up for Amazon (among others) made sure Coates Universe of books were including in various promotions.
    Buy 2 get 1 free or buy 1 get 1 free. Or volume 1 was a free Amazon Kindle download.

He stays on because he is still doing other things and everyone loves free PRESS.

As for any writer could have maintained number or buzz- James Tynion isn't having that issue. And NO I am not talking Batman run. Books at Boom seem to have no trouble gaining new readers.
    Nor is Image's Bitter Root or Excellence.
    Nor the various books at Vault.
    Funny when you don't write about weak black men-folks want to read your stuff more. marvel & Dc should take the HINT.

Black Panther, Captain America, and more become the Phoenix in new Marvel variants

https://www.gamesradar.com/black-pan...rvel-variants/

Say.. I wonder will T'Challa end up drowning Atlantis? Oh, wait...

Marvel (and DC) have utterly abandoned the idea of building an audience. Their formula for getting a book OVER is:

Outside writers: Because that way they'll get press coverage.
    Variant covers: Who cares what is inside the books, when you can get a store to shell out money for a limited-edition cover.
    Events: Drag the book into a crossover, so that regular readers have to buy other books to get the story.
    Relaunch/number: When sales inevitably flag, slap a new #1 on it, or focus on "legacy" numbering for a few months and THEN slap a new #1 on it. The spike will only last 3 issues tops, but it'll look good to the bean counters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Black Panther, Captain America, and more become the Phoenix in new Marvel variants

https://www.gamesradar.com/black-pan...rvel-variants/

Say.. I wonder will T'Challa end up drowning Atlantis? Oh, wait...
    Another good chance he is still alive then

The background with the panthers is pretty cool
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can't get them into the those fields if they are NOT encouraged to enter them when they are still in middle to high school.

Let me walk yall through my school in the 2000-2009. Lets visit the library and look at all the graphic novels. You want a graphic novel with a POC as the lead? POC in the cast????
    Here it is.... HULK. That's it.
    DC???? NOBODY. That includes a book called Teen Titans and kid named STATIC. Who BOTH had tv shows.

Why because we could not ORDER those books with POC leads because they were not available to order from our suppliers.
    What about book stores? Especially black ones? Guess who don't carry them. I can go to a black book store and get Spidey but not a black hero from Marvel or DC.

Public library? The FEW copies some had-were stolen and in Static's case was READ to death.
    And what black writer was writing as the MAIN writer for a book like Batman? NOBODY.

So folks aged 45-20-didn't get to see that. And we are seeing the results.
    This. We're not gonna see the fruits of Marvel's labor until years after T'Challa's MCU trilogy is over. Kids aren't seeing a strong presentation of him in the comics and with the medium slowly dying anyway he needs to make life long fans through other mediums like movies, animation, and video games.

That's why having black people in front of and behind the scenes of these projects is important. You end up inspiring more young black kids to want to read him and try their hand one day. That's of course not to say ONLY black people can or should provide good takes on T'Challa, but now more than ever I think Hollywood is recognizing the talent and appeal hungry black creators bring to the table.

Marvel has a special property on their hands but they've been squandering it because as others have said, there's not a deep love for mythos the way there is with Spider-Man or Captain America. So they get complacent, assume that all he needs is writers with big names, and refuse to see the writing on the wall that an alternative take is needed. Look how quick they fixed up Iron Man when reviews and sales for his solo became less than ideal. Put a whole Eisner-nominated writer who claims to like the character, with a new status quo on the way. After recognizing that putting out bad Captain Marvel runs was slowly making her completely unworkable, they put an experienced writer at the helm who currently has incredibly solid sales (but don't expect her haters to ever admit that).

Not every run is gonna be for every person. I'm probably one of the most willing people in this thread to defend Coates and not hate every single thing he did. But sales are trash and he's gone stale creatively, so Marvel needs to build the hype back up.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Coates got buzz BEFORE the first BP trailer.

Because places that generally IGNORE comics as a whole had no issue talking to Coates about his comic. Along with the fact when someone interviews him-they toss in he'a a writer of BP.

That is free press.

Once the movie came out ALL Black Panther stuff saw sales boost-no how bad the book was. Once we got past season one-folks slowly started leaving.
    To make up for Amazon (among others) made sure Coates Universe of books were including in various promotions.
    Buy 2 get 1 free or buy 1 get 1 free. Or volume 1 was a free Amazon Kindle download.

He stays on because he is still doing other things and everyone loves free PRESS.

As for any writer could have maintained number or buzz- James Tynion isn't having that issue. And NO I am not talking Batman run. Books at Boom seem to have no trouble gaining new readers.
    Nor is Image's Bitter Root or Excellence.
    Nor the various books at Vault.
    Funny when you don't write about weak black men-folks want to read your stuff more. marvel & Dc should take the HINT.
    I think maintainging the numbers that Bitter Root or Excellence are getting, whatever those numbers are, is an entirely different thing than maintaining the numbers Coates initially got. Coates started off selling a couple hundred thousand issues... if James Tyynion could have maintained that then yeah, marvel should have hired that guy instead.

It's possible a different writer could have retained a larger part of the audience... we'll never know for sure. But IMO at least no writer could have maintained the numbers Coates initially got. Numbers were destined to drop HEAVILY regardless of who was writing it.

That said, if there are writers at Image or Boom making names for themselves writing black characters then maybe Marvel will be able to hire them down the line. We know Coates run in ending.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Marvel (and DC) have utterly abandoned the idea of building an audience. Their formula for getting a book OVER is:

Outside writers: Because that way they'll get press coverage.
    I'd argue that DC is better at this than Marvel. If nothing else the books they get are much better written (Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Shadow of the Bat and The Oracle Code).
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-13-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd argue that DC is a lot better at this than Marvel. If nothing else the books they get are much better written (Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Shadow of the Bat and The Oracle Code).
    You'll notice those are marketed outside the Direct Market...

Ultimate Member

That said, if there are writers at Image or Boom making names for themselves writing black characters then maybe Marvel will be able to hire them down the line. We know Coates run in ending.
    FYI...... those folks have or are working for Marvel.

David Walker did Nightmask & Powerman & Ironfist & Luke Cage.

Khary Randolph does TON of stuff for Marvel and a lot of his stuff was in Into the Spiderverse. Along with Mosaic with Redjack.

Brandon Thomas has written Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

Rodney Barnes has written Falcon.

Brandon Eaton was a writer for Agent Carter.

Sanford Greene has done TONS of stuff for Marvel.

Afu Richardson has done stuff for Marvel.

Brittany Williams has done stuff for Marvel including the aborted Blade book.

Ray Anthony Height has done stuff for Marvel including X-Men and Moon Girl.

Vita Ayala has done stuff for Marvel & DC.

Chuck Brown wrote PUNISHER & Black Panther

Some of the greatest gymnastic routines known to MAN were done to NOT support many of these people.

David Walker was in the running of BP before they gave it to Coates.

That had to be a slap in the face.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    David Walker was in the running of BP before they gave it to Coates.

That had to be a slap in the face.
    Course, not everyone was happy with Walkers Nighthawk.

I can't say I hated it or anything ... but especially given his handling of Kyle in the end I'm not sure I feel that bad about him not getting the gig.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Course, not everyone was happy with Walkers Nighthawk.

I can't say I hated it or anything ... but especially given his handling of Kyle in the end I'm not sure I feel that bad about him not getting the gig.
    Given the sociopolitical climate today, one could argue David Walker's Nighthawk simply came in too early.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Given the sociopolitical climate today, one could argue David Walker's Nighthawk simply came in too early.
    It's a shame he was killed off. Might have been fun to have a Nighthawk book right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I was going to say the same. They weren't ready for it. Lol.

It's a shame he was killed off. Might have been fun to have a Nighthawk book right about now.
    Nightshade can do it. She is wearing the costume.