Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1389
    Astonishing Member

Meh. Sooner or later the JSA will be reset to the 60’s (with a select number of golden agents being left in the golden age) or sliding timescaled

Basking in the karmic hilarity that dawdling so killed Doomsday Clock it doesn’t even rate appearing in Didio’s pet project

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Meh. Sooner or later the JSA will be reset to the 60’s (with a select number of golden agents being left in the golden age) or sliding timescaled

Basking in the karmic hilarity that dawdling so killed Doomsday Clock it doesn’t even rate appearing in Didio’s pet project
    I think that more says something about Didio and Johns' differing visions of the DCU.

Agreed. From the moment Rebirth was launched, Didio set to work at undermining it. Doomsday Clock is the culmination of rebirth, so of course that would be undermined as well.

But Didio is gone, and the folks who have taken over for him are making extensive use of Doomsday Clock. Heck, the whole “it all happened” continuity that Infinite Frontier is using was inspired by Doomsday Clock, and is basically the Metaverse with the blinders removed.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 07-19-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

In my opinion, the only purpose for a Justice Society that isn't anchored to World War II would be as a backstory for a legacy Justice Society in the present day. It would have no value in and of itself. Even changing the war that it's associated with, whether it be a real or fictional one, wouldn't salvage it. The value of the historical JSA is that it's a WWII-era period piece, just like the value of DC's western heroes is that they belong to the American old west.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    In my opinion, the only purpose for a Justice Society that isn't anchored to World War II would be as a backstory for a legacy Justice Society in the present day. It would have no value in and of itself. Even changing the war that it's associated with, whether it be a real or fictional one, wouldn't salvage it. The value of the historical JSA is that it's a WWII-era period piece, just like the value of DC's western heroes is that they belong to the American old west.
    See, I don't agree with that. The old west ones were created to be set in the past. The JSA were created to be set in the present. The only reason they didn't timeslide with the rest was that they got canceled. Actually, the did timeslide at one point (note Larry Lance's tombtstone had him born in 1930). But I don't think they belong in this world anymore - the silver age characters weren't designed for them to be there, and I think it's a detriment to them, as I value them more. And many, like you, aren't willing to have the JSA moved, and I think their anchor is a problem (and, indeed, that Wonder Woman's origins so tied to the war have bee problematic for her).

Astonishing Member

That's not true. The formation of the original JSA is too anchored in WW2 and the Greatest Generation as well as their dissolution during the McCarthy Era. I think this is likely due to the work of Roy Thomas. The idea of the JSA being anchored in the "present" is just not something recognized by the majority of readers who are aware of them. Frankly setting them in the "present" doesn't work. It decontextualizes them to the point that you only have a JSA in Name Only (aka Robinson's Earth-2). The historical association of the JSA with the past is just too strong. IMO it is part of their "brand" now.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-19-2021 at 03:16 PM.

The idea of the JSA being anchored in the "present" is just not something recognized by the majority of readers who are aware of them.
    I agree that most feel that way. Nonetheless, they were created to operate in their own present when they were originally created. That is unarguably a "true" statement.

Like I said, I don't want them on main earth. I just disagree that their only value is in being in the past. But then I contextualize them from the few old comics I've read with them, not from what was done with them later. And Black Canary, especially, doesn't need to be tied to WWII, since she didn't even debut until later (then again, I like one Black Canary, not two).

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree that most feel that way. Nonetheless, they were created to operate in their own present when they were originally created. That is unarguably a "true" statement.
    Agreed: that's how they started out. But they haven't been that for a long time, with the apple exception of their recent N52 version, which bombed. (Though admittedly, that probably had as much to do with editorial interference as with anything else.)
    Rogue wears rouge.

You mean just like Marvel Comics did with the origins of Captain America, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and the original Human Torch?

Astonishing Member

Interesting that Invaders was another Thomas book. I think he definitely has outsized influence on both how modern readers view the Golden Age and how writers interact with the characters and continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean just like Marvel Comics did with the origins of Captain America, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and the original Human Torch?
    I don't think the JSA as a timeskip to the present work like Cap does for reasons I've discussed in other threads. But the 60s would be ridiculous - it's already 60 years ago. I don't think they'll be removed from WWII, but if they were, they'd be properly unmoored and slide along like everyone else.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

For what it's worth, this is how I laid it all out. It's imperfect, of course, but it's the only way it makes any kind of sense for me.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That's not true. The formation of the original JSA is too anchored in WW2 and the Greatest Generation as well as their dissolution during the McCarthy Era. I think this is likely due to the work of Roy Thomas. The idea of the JSA being anchored in the "present" is just not something recognized by the majority of readers who are aware of them. Frankly setting them in the "present" doesn't work. It decontextualizes them to the point that you only have a JSA in Name Only (aka Robinson's Earth-2). The historical association of the JSA with the past is just too strong. IMO it is part of their "brand" now.
    I don't agree with this. Wonder Woman was tied to and her reasons to going to the man's world is because of WW2. If Diana can work perfectly fine without being tied to WW2, so can the Justice Society of America. It is the fans who don't want the JSA to exist anywhere else besides WW2. Plus, most of the JSA was active before America entered the war. So, I don't see the problem.

The problem is that the Justice League exists, and all other teams exist in the shadow of the League. The Titans have struggled badly to justify why they exist, usually settling for repeating the Wolfman/Perez NTT run and “we’re a family!” mantra. The Justice Society are the old guys, that’s what differentiates them from the League, that’s what they’ve been since Crisis and what they’ll be in Black Adam and in comics.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Yes, really. There's nothing in the story that indicates that the whole thing is taking place in a separate universe; you have to rely on explanations by the writer to see that.
    Not really.

The timeline was created splinting off the main timeline if you read the books and it's starting story, and DC and the writer already promoted as a diff reality in the end. Plus linearverse reality has Batman and Superman starting during WW2, unlike post Infinite Frontier.
    Last edited by D.Z; 07-19-2021 at 09:54 PM.