Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    And that aid was never heard from again.

I know it was the writing style of the time but it's still hilarious. I can imagine that girl working Maxima's nerves.

"Gasp, is that the Rebirth Maxima who replaced you in Supergirl?"

"Gasp, is that Weapon Master who kicked your ass in the old JLE."

"Gasp, is that Imperix, the man who murdered you in that forgotten 90's cross over?"

Maxima [gritting her teeth]: Sazuuu.....
    Sazu was Maxima's Otis, lol.

And continuing:
    AdvofSman_Arm_03.jpg

Just to point how tight are Superman's clothes too.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Hah do they still give Clark a chest full of hair? Cavill rocking that look may have kept it in style for Supes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah do they still give Clark a chest full of hair? Cavill rocking that look may have kept it in style for Supes.
    No, but I'm not against it!

And one more.00_Max_rage.jpg
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Sazu was Maxima's Otis, lol.

And continuing:
    AdvofSman_Arm_03.jpg

Just to point how tight are Superman's clothes too.
    It's like wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.
    Nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    IMO, Superman, Batman, Ollie, Barry, Hal and all the older male heroes should be rocking chest hair. Leave it to the NTT generation to look like dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's like wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.
    Nothing at all.
    Don't temp me. There was a particular scene in that issue than today would be impossible to publish.

Don't temp me. There was a particular scene in that issue than today would be impossible to publish.
    I have a feeling I know which one. Be brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I have a feeling I know which one. Be brave.

What the hell. There is no worse censorship than selfcensorship. This post will be probably erased.

00_Max_bath.jpg

I will be banned for this.

Remember me in my absence.

What the hell. There is no worse censorship than selfcensorship. This post will be probably erased.

00_Max_bath.jpg

I will be banned for this.

Remember me in my absence.
    It would be very odd for you to get banned posting a published panel that wasn't from an adult-oriented book. You should be fine?

In any case, if there's one thing from that era that I would give a massive reworking to it'd be her motivations. I'd still roll with the super eugenics (and how awful that is) but her desires would be mostly political, though she'd deny anything short of duty and perhaps mild attraction to be the case. There's nothing wrong with her wanting the protagonist we've established to be great-looking and of the best character, but she positively simps over him in some of those issues and it's too far. She's a Queen! Max should be a lot more complicated than just demanding Superman become her consort and thinking of nothing else.

I agree; that era leaned into the "got the hawts for Superman!" too much. Politics were always there in Maxima's motivation, even back then, but it took too much of a backseat.

In my head I write that off as Maxima just being excited that she found a potential consort that didn't utterly disgust her, and she did indeed look forward to doing her royal duty and securing an heir, thrilled that personal desire and politics actually aligned for once. But that's reading between the lines more than a proper analysis of those issues requires.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree; that era leaned into the "got the hawts for Superman!" too much. Politics were always there in Maxima's motivation, even back then, but it took too much of a backseat.

In my head I write that off as Maxima just being excited that she found a potential consort that didn't utterly disgust her, and she did indeed look forward to doing her royal duty and securing an heir, thrilled that personal desire and politics actually aligned for once. But that's reading between the lines more than a proper analysis of those issues requires.
    That's more or less how I see it too. For once it didn't feel like she had to settle and she gets a little drunk on that. My Max would break free of it eventually and Clark be the one who got away, but she needs to give up the game after a bit. It just gets sad after a while. Can she always hold a flame for him? Sure, it's unresolved sexual tension and maybe more, but she's a character who runs a planet/empire. She has shit to do and as a ruler she'd know how to put her duty before her wants, or at least that's how I read Almerac's relationship to duty and how I'd write them.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Speaking of ones who got away...

I love this issue, and wish we would have seen more of these two as a couple. They toyed with it in Extreme Justice, but there was just so much bad in that book that the good was completely buried.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Speaking of ones who got away...

I love this issue, and wish we would have seen more of these two as a couple. They toyed with it in Extreme Justice, but there was just so much bad in that book that the good was completely buried.
    Sadly for Maxima, most men aren't ready for the pick-up line to be "I want a baby." She should probably lead with "buy you a drink?" lol

It would be very odd for you to get banned posting a published panel that wasn't from an adult-oriented book. You should be fine?
    We live in strange times. But meanwhile, I 'm still here, I will enjoy it.

In any case, if there's one thing from that era that I would give a massive reworking to it'd be her motivations. I'd still roll with the super eugenics (and how awful that is) but her desires would be mostly political, though she'd deny anything short of duty and perhaps mild attraction to be the case. There's nothing wrong with her wanting the protagonist we've established to be great-looking and of the best character, but she positively simps over him in some of those issues and it's too far. She's a Queen! Max should be a lot more complicated than just demanding Superman become her consort and thinking of nothing else.
    I think that can be a good angle to deal with her and her relationship with Superman.
    To explain it, in some ways , Maxima have a lot of paralells with Namor: the royal governor of an inhuman kingdom with certain unrequited love/ romantic interest on an earth champion, but with a lot of potential history behind. The court of Maxima also could be a good source of Superman antagonists and an alternative to Warworld.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-15-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Sadly for Maxima, most men aren't ready for the pick-up line to be "I want a baby." She should probably lead with "buy you a drink?" lol
    Speaking only for myself, I can confirm the efficacy of this order of events...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES