Page 3 of 550 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Oh I totally forgot peeps, Kieran Frost told me to tell you that all the hot new guys should post a pic of themselves... shirtless... while holding syrup-drenched waffles in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, staring longingly into the camera...

I mean, sure... this might seem a bit eccentric, but hey it's Kieran Frost...
    Can't promise I won't eat the waffles before the shoot is over, and I don't do coffee.

I was going to say that you could google me, but apperently Eli.C is actually a thing from Glee.

That's...unfortunate. I hate that show. And that guy is way more attractive than me. Drat.

I don't see why it would be a problem?
    SWEET! Thank-you

Quote Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
    I identify as genderqueer and I date dudes for the most part.
    Ah, this raises a good point. What should be in the poll? I was just going to go with:
    Gay
    Lesbian
    Bisexual
    Transgender
    Transexual
    Curious
    Straight

What other terms should I include?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    SWEET! Thank-you

Ah, this raises a good point. What should be in the poll? I was just going to go with:
    Gay
    Lesbian
    Bisexual
    Transgender
    Transexual
    Curious
    Straight

What other terms should I include?
    Well, identities are fluid and some people identify as multiple things. There are asexual people who also might identify as gay or lesbian, for example, or transgender people who might identify as straight or bi or gay/lesbian and if you include trans then you should include cis as well. It's a messy arena.

There's also the fact that some terms which mean particular things to some people mean different things to others. A lot of people treat the word 'queer' as an umbrella term whereas I do not, and I don't consider myself in the 'trans*' umbrella even if other people lump genderqueer in there a fair bit.

BANNED

Well, identities are fluid and some people identify as multiple things. There are asexual people who also might identify as gay or lesbian, for example, or transgender people who might identify as straight or bi or gay/lesbian and if you include trans then you should include cis as well. It's a messy arena.
    As an asexual (I think), I've always kind of resented its inclusion on the old thread, and never felt comfortable with it. I feel like we're the opposite of what this thread represents, and I just don't fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    As an asexual (I think), I've always kind of resented its inclusion on the old thread, and never felt comfortable with it. I feel like we're the opposite of what this thread represents, and I just don't fit in.
    I can appreciate that. There's often been this awkward point where the acronym expands with good intentions without really relating to the things it expands into. I've had a lot of discussions with intersex activists who have similar sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    But it depends on where you fall on the asexual spectrum. There are asexuals who do have attraction to opposite sex or same sex people. They just have no desire to have a physical relationship with them.

There's also the fact that some terms which mean particular things to some people mean different things to others. A lot of people treat the word 'queer' as an umbrella term whereas I do not, and I don't consider myself in the 'trans*' umbrella even if other people lump genderqueer in there a fair bit.
    Well I only have 15 slots So what would you suggest? I mean yes a gay person can also identify as asexual; but so can a straight person (it's not as "linked" -- if that is the term -- to sexuality in the commonest terminology). The poll won't be multiple choice, so what would you pick as the options?

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

I'm not a fan of a poll in general, just because it takes away from the safe spot aspect of the thread. Before I came out, I liked that I could post on the thread without having to identify myself (I didn't want the first place I came out to be the Internet). It might make it harder for closeted individuals to enjoy the thread.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I'm not a fan of a poll in general, just because it takes away from the safe spot aspect of the thread. Before I came out, I liked that I could post on the thread without having to identify myself (I didn't want the first place I came out to be the Internet). It might make it harder for closeted individuals to enjoy the thread.
    Of course the last thing I want to do is discourage anyone posting; BUT you can still post without voting. Also, while I 99% of the time do a "public poll"; I think it would be a very good thing to do this one poll private. So we can see there is plenty of LGBT posters without "outing" anyone. Fair?

It is a badweek for the anti-gay marriage crown, Two eople that appeal to their base have come out for gay marriage, Stever Astin and Dolly parton. Itwoill be funy to watch folks try to avoid on stepping on the toes of either of them. You really dn't want pick a fight with either of them, but in this case Stonecold would be the safer one, since you don't pick fights with master wordsmiths, like Dolly, whom have huge fan-bases

BANNED

I can appreciate that. There's often been this awkward point where the acronym expands with good intentions without really relating to the things it expands into. I've had a lot of discussions with intersex activists who have similar sentiments.
    When someone mentioned "gender fluid" I thought back of another discussion, where I learned that LGBT really should be LGBQ, because sexuality and gender aren't so closely linked as they once were when the movement started out. Transgender is something completely different from homosexuality and bisexuality, and by keeping them linked you are doing them all a disservice. So that raises the question, should gender be divorced from sexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    like Dolly, whom have huge fan-bases
    yeah. .it's her "fan-base" that's "huge"

LOL

(I LOVE Dolly.. so just funnin').

Amazing Member

When someone mentioned "gender fluid" I thought back of another discussion, where I learned that LGBT really should be LGBQ, because sexuality and gender aren't so closely linked as they once were when the movement started out. Transgender is something completely different from homosexuality and bisexuality, and by keeping them linked you are doing them all a disservice. So that raises the question, should gender be divorced from sexuality?
    I think it should, insofar as sexuality ought to be a personal thing that varies from individual to individual. But there is a different term for a man that is attracted to men than for a woman that is attracted to men. But I do think it goes back to the issue of creating an umbrella for a something that is wildly different for each and every individual.

I'm not at ALL surprised by Dolly! She's a longtime friend of the community, publicly saying so in many interviews. Steve Austin pleasantly surprised me, though. Stonecold didn't mince words, either!

Welcome to the new folks, and welcome back to the returning members who've been away! Like bert, I've been around CBR a long time ('96). I'm wowed by the strong queer presence here!

Eli: I think the umbrella covered all as a survival strategy in the earliest Post-Stonewall years. People who otherwise might not have had a voice found one by banding together. Trans folk were said to participate in the Stonewall Riots, so there's that piece, as well. The Trans community have a much stronger platform now, with more support than in the early years.
    Last edited by Tangent Man; 05-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.

I'm also surprised that there's one of these threads.
    This will probably be one of those threads I frequent a lot.
    As for my orientation, I'm a gay male (though labels are so overrated :rolleyes