Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinDraper View Post
    Oh gosh...reading the spoilers make me the HAPPIEST person in the world...I need to read this right now!
    Same! I just hope that, as Caivu said, Kate can prove it to be a false future and we can see happiness come from all this.

Wow, so this issue had me smiling a lot. spoilers:
    I mean, I know its was just callbacks but man oh man, have I missed Stephs and Cass's history. I hope them seeing their more fully realized selves means that they will have a new found confidence to strive for more as characters and receive more fulfilling story lines in the future based on this situation. I mean, its all in the writers/editors hands of course, but still, if a writer wanted it so, they could easily use this narrative as a great catalyst for a refreshing change in direction.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

The issue itself was really good, maybe the best in Tynion's entire run. But it is undercut by the fact that Tynion never showed Batman rejecting Steph and Cass. There is a big disconnect to what was shown this issue and what was shown previously.

BANNED

My heart is still pounding

The Good:

- YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

The Bad:

- I generally have thought to myself whenever Kate has been on panel that I really couldn't care less. But put against the Cass and Steph stuff, I literally didn't even bother to read most of it this time. I'll probably read it on my second read through.
    -For a super genius, Ulysses is really stupid.

Best issue of the book since Intelligence. Cass and Steph got some good banter, Azrael and Batwing were hilariously beaten off-screen for the millionth time because that is their lot in this book, the reveal and the impact it may have was worth the wait (even if Ulysses WAS an idiot thinking this would work) and I have to agree with a Tumblr acquaintance of mine, spoilers:
    that one panel of Cass and Babs
    end of spoilers is literally better than everything else DC has put out in the last 10 years.

#981, Tynion, I'm counting on you to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    But it is undercut by the fact that Tynion never showed Batman rejecting Steph and Cass. There is a big disconnect to what was shown this issue and what was shown previously.
    It was very clearly supposed to be more meta than anything else. And while Batman hasn't rejected the two here, he hasn't been nearly as close to Cass (something which was addressed back at the start of the arc) and both girls lack their connections to the BatFamily.
    Last edited by Assam; 05-09-2018 at 04:43 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I hope so. I really don't like either of the alternatives, but I also don't see how she'd be able to do that.
    I think it's an easy enough fix - Ulysses is the one we've seen doing most of the future showing, so we can say he's more likely to warp the future records. When Brother Eye shows Steph and Cass the future records, it's much more likely that it's not corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinDraper View Post
    Oh gosh...reading the spoilers make me the HAPPIEST person in the world...I need to read this right now!
    Yes! It was my biggest hope (Steph and Cass's time as Batgirls honored) AND my extra hope I didn't think could happen (Steph as Robin).

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Wow, so this issue had me smiling a lot. spoilers:
    I mean, I know its was just callbacks but man oh man, have I missed Stephs and Cass's history. I hope them seeing their more fully realized selves means that they will have a new found confidence to strive for more as characters and receive more fulfilling story lines in the future based on this situation. I mean, its all in the writers/editors hands of course, but still, if a writer wanted it so, they could easily use this narrative as a great catalyst for a refreshing change in direction.
    end of spoilers
    I am one of its few defenders, but this issue is definitely a better callback to Steph and Cass's time as Batgirls than Convergence: Batgirl. The only real advantage Convergence had was it's longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The issue itself was really good, maybe the best in Tynion's entire run. But it is undercut by the fact that Tynion never showed Batman rejecting Steph and Cass. There is a big disconnect to what was shown this issue and what was shown previously.
    I don't think Cass's issues have ever been about Batman rejecting her. She struggles with guilt from murdering Miranda Row, so I think this is a big part of her healing process.

Steph...yeah. Tynion tried to show how Steph and Batman don't get along in this issue, but in Victin Syndicate, I was more sympathetic to Batman, even though Steph's my favorite character. I was still sympathetic to Steph, but it seems to me that Batman is more right in terms of the argument. However, hopefully this serves as a course correction to her character, and she doesn't just leave next issue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    The Bad:

- I generally have thought to myself whenever Kate has been on panel that I really couldn't care less. But put against the Cass and Steph stuff, I literally didn't even bother to read most of it this time. I'll probably read it on my second read through.
    Incredible. You didn't even read the things you're calling bad.

-For a super genius, Ulysses is really stupid.
    He's young and arrogant. Those aren't negatives.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-09-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Incredible. You didn't even the things you're calling bad.
    If I'm so disinterested that I don't want to bother reading it, that's a problem.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Excited for the conclusion already to see if Cass and Stephanie get any costume changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    If I'm so disinterested that I don't want to bother reading it, that's a problem.
    And in this specific case, that's mostly (if not wholly) based on your hatred of Kate, and you know it.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Excited for the conclusion already to see if Cass and Stephanie get any costume changes.
    I think Steph's costume is pretty good right now. Cass could use at LEAST a Bat on it!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think Steph's costume is pretty good right now. Cass could use at LEAST a Bat on it!
    And a cape...

Amazing Member

Yeah I think Bruce would let Cass put the Bat on her chest if she did it or asked but she has never showed him that she was interested in wearing the symbol until the whole blow up with Kate happened

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwinnie101 View Post
    Yeah I think Bruce would let Cass put the Bat on her chest if she did it or asked but she has never showed him that she was interested in wearing the symbol until the whole blow up with Kate happened
    Well, she did in Batman and Robin Eternal #13, but Bruce was amnesiac at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And a cape...
    What does Edna Mode say about capes?

12an5t.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What does Edna Mode say about capes?

12an5t.jpg
    Well, this is a Steph thread. Steph's had FOUR different capes, and looked amazing in all of them, so...we're going to appreciate the capes here!