Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default The Defenders: The Best Defense

So now this December-Weekly story is done, what did everyone think?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I liked it, them coming together was very Defender like.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think it was a perfect Defenders story. Crazy, with huge scope! The characterization was amazing, which is expected from Ewing. Also, I van't praise the art enough.

Every character had the chance to shine too. And, as a Hulk fan, I loved that we learnt more interesting facts about him.

I would say that, while not perfect, this issue had the right blend of a cosmic level threat, abstract cosmic weirdness, and slight touches of whimsy and madness that I think is essential to making the Defenders work as concept.

Really liked it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was pretty damn crazy.

8/10.

Loved Hulk, Strange, and the final book.
    Namor's was forgetable.
    Surfer's I didn't like.

All in all it was a good run. Rather bummed it was a 1 shot finale.

I'll have to read it all again as I really didn't get it at all. I realise the first four issues tie-up but it was just confusing for me to read in the way it came out. I was always bummed that we couldn't see Nebulon in his original form as I loved that design. Hoping that the final page tease never goes anywhere as I am sick to death with alternate versions of heroes.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Picked up the Namor and Silver Surfer books, so I figured I'd get the DEFENDERS book...this was not for me.

I love weird and crazy stuff. I don't like weird and crazy for the sake of being weird and crazy, rings hollow.

I really liked it overall. There are some things I didn't quite get, like who was the guy dressed as a ghost, but the series made me want a Defenders book again.
    This time with Valkyrie. She's as much a Defender as Silver Surfer, but is rarely included when the other 4 gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really liked it overall. There are some things I didn't quite get, like who was the guy dressed as a ghost, but the series made me want a Defenders book again.
    This time with Valkyrie. She's as much a Defender as Silver Surfer, but is rarely included when the other 4 gather.
    The guy dressed as a ghost was the humanoid form of the ghost whom was one of the main villains:

Nebulon.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/nebulondefenders.htm

He was going around killing other humanoid controllers inside of the gigantic cosmic humanoid - the Conductor - so he could then transform into his true ghost-form (squid-like thingie) and possess the Conductor, taking the train to Earth, and destroying it.

But yes, agreed that I want a new classic Defenders-book! = ) And indeed, Valkyrie should be included.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I finally tracked down all the issues (my biggest complaint with this event is my store didn't order enough and I suspect the different titles for each story contributed to that).

Overall, I liked it a lot. I will say the story I was most reluctant to get was Silver Surfer and it felt very superfluous when I was reading it. That being said, the story reminded me of the more lighthearted Jim Starlin/Ron Lim Silver Surfer issues, which was fun. Honestly, I think I learned more from the Defenders recap page (which I normally don't read) than I learned from the stories themselves. I wonder if it would have benefited from the Silver Surfer being first and the reveal that Namor was in space more directly tying in with the Train. But the story itself ended on a great note. I loved the callback to Nebulon. It was a fun read.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?