Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default gwen stacy death diminished by spider Gwen and gwenpool?

Honestly i don't know. I couldn't no because they're both different character. But honestly i don't know.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

They aren’t the original Gwen Stacy nor are they pretending to be. So no, their existence doesn’t diminish Gwen’s death.

BANNED

The only thing that is diminished is the value of Gwen Stacy as a love interest.

I don't think people really want to see Gwen in that role ever again.

But then again, they never did.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The only thing that is diminished is the value of Gwen Stacy as a love interest.

I'll play devils advocate and say had The Amazing Spider-Man films actually be sustainable, there probably would've been a resurgence in people caring about Gwen Stacy as Peter's love interest.

On that same token, if you ask the average non-comic fan now, they probably think of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen first rather than the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge so I can see how people come to the conclusion that her presence "undermines" Gwen's death. Just the same I don't really care about the same story beats getting hammer in over and over again.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'll play devils advocate and say had The Amazing Spider-Man films actually be sustainable, there probably would've been a resurgence in people caring about Gwen Stacy as Peter's love interest.
    The only way the TASM movies could have been sustainable was if they didn't kill Gwen. And they wouldn't have had Gwen be the love interest if they didn't plan on killing her.

On that same token, if you ask the average non-comic fan now, they probably think of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen first rather than the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge so I can see how people come to the conclusion that her presence "undermines" Gwen's death.
    Gwen's death was a referendum on her status as love interest. The popularity of Spider-Gwen, a take on the character that was never, and is not, and will never be a love interest for 616 Peter owing to age differences...just confirms that.

I want to see an adaption that does Gwen's death and then makes the Gwen clone Ghost Spider.

Astonishing Member

You talk as though her death meant anything to begin with.

No, they have nothing to do with her other than the name.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

But then again, they never did.
    Speak for yourself, buddy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    No, they have nothing to do with her other than the name.
    Ummm, that's incorrect. Your statement is objectively false. Spider-Gwen is still a version of 616 Gwen Stacy; just as Superboy Prime is a version of Rebirth Superman and Flash Point Thomas Wayne is a version of Rebirth Thomas Wayne. These characters share the same name, same heritage, the same history up to a point of divergence. The connection shared goes far beyond that of a mere moniker; Miles & Peter both being Spider-Man is a case of a shared moniker, not this.

Edit - Not that I think Spider-Gwen being around diminished 616 Gwen's death in any way but the characters are clearly versions of the same character.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-29-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spider-Gwen's world is not identical to 616 except that she got bitten by the spider instead of Peter, though. When Peter became Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four were already active. In Earth-65, the team will never exist. Ben's a cop, Reed is a black teenager, and Sue and Johnny are actors and social media influencers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

I hate every single character that's based on another one. The idea behind Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool is easily one of the most idiotic things Marvel has ever had in my opinion. Leave Gwen Stacy dead as she should be (she's one of the most important characters in SM's history and her death is fundamental) and create other characters. The "Spider-Verse" makes absolutely no sense, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I hate every single character that's based on another one. The idea behind Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool is easily one of the most idiotic things Marvel has ever had in my opinion. Leave Gwen Stacy dead as she should be (she's one of the most important characters in SM's history and her death is fundamental) and create other characters. The "Spider-Verse" makes absolutely no sense, at least in my opinion.
    But the point is she is not that Gwen.

All-New Member

It's a classical way to have your cake and eat it too. They keep her dead, but at the same time can use her "by proxy".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ummm, that's incorrect. Your statement is objectively false. Spider-Gwen is still a version of 616 Gwen Stacy; just as Superboy Prime is a version of Rebirth Superman and Flash Point Thomas Wayne is a version of Rebirth Thomas Wayne. These characters share the same name, same heritage, the same history up to a point of divergence. The connection shared goes far beyond that of a mere moniker; Miles & Peter both being Spider-Man is a case of a shared moniker, not this.

Edit - Not that I think Spider-Gwen being around diminished 616 Gwen's death in any way but the characters are clearly versions of the same character.
    Spider Gwen is totally different than the original one, besides having the same name and the same father I don’t see what they have in common.