Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I wonder what would happen if numbers for digital, outside the U.S., bookstores, newsstands, and any of the other area diamond dosent count in there numbers were added, it would go up at least 14%(assuming they follow Amazon's 100 print for 114 digital books) . Also this is ordered not sold to consum. Comixology sales is a better representation.
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 07-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Don't forget Moon Girl. That series pretty much exists ENTIRELY on the strength of its digital sales.
    Thought it was attributed to a deal with Scholastic, more than anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I wonder what would happen if numbers for digital, outside the U.S., bookstores, newsstands, and any of the other area diamond dosent count in there numbers were added. Also this is ordered not sold to consum. Comixology sales is a better representation.
    IDK 'bout that. But NEWSSTANDS, is there even such a thing anymore? Much less one that stocks & carries comiX.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    IDK 'bout that. But NEWSSTANDS, is there even such a thing anymore? Much less one that stocks & carries comiX.
    yeah, you can find them in groceries, book stores and convenience stores. I doubt they contribute a signficiant amount

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    9 X-Men Gold (2017) 30 88,238 42.45%
    36 X-Men Red (2018) 5 38,372 -13.98%
    39 X-Men Gold (2017) 29 36,395 3.33%
    42 Hunt For Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda (2018) 2 34,564 -22.95%
    48 Hunt For Wolverine: Weapon Lost (2018) 2 33,118 -28.55%
    51 Hunt For Wolverine: Claws of Killer (2018) 2 32,137 -25.25%
    53 Hunt For Wolverine: Mystery Madripoor (2018) 2 31,903 -34.11%
    57 Old Man Logan (2016) 41 30,781 -0.98%
    58 Old Man Logan (2016) 42 30,234 41 30,781 -547 -1.78% 0
    59 X-Men Blue (2017) 29 30,116 -0.07%
    60 X-Men Blue (2017) 30 29,962 -0.51%
    65 Astonishing X-Men (2017) 12 28,513 -17.31%
    85 Domino (2018) 3 25,228 -13.83%
    94 Multiple Man (2018) 1 22,307
    98 Weapon X (2017) 19 22,049 -1.03%
    100 Dazzler: X Song (2018) 1 21,822
    123 Cable (2017b) 158 17,278 -1.71%
    127 New Mutants: Dead Souls (2018) 4 17,067 -8.54%
    That’s pretty good for Gold & Red! Domino’s doing pretty well as well! Too bad about Exiles & Cable; they’re some of my favorite current books. Doesn’t look like New Mutants is coming back as an ongoing anytime soon. Or X-Factor for that matter. Old Man Logan’s losing some steam as well, and Wolverine classic will dent sales as well, if OML is still going when it relaunches in the new year. The Hunt For Wolverine aren’t hits but they’re doing better than a lot of the line, and likely won’t drop below 25,000 copies in their runs based on rough standard attrition.

In terms of the overall health of the line, I think at this point, it’s time to accept that the X-Men are never going to be Marvel’s “hit” franchise again. These days, a big hit is a book that sells over 45,000 copies regularly and the X-Men, at least the way they are now, don’t hit those heights. Like Heroine Addict said the X-Men have other strengths; the brand can support 9 books selling in the 30,000-40,000 range! Most books would kill for those numbers. Maybe if Marvel cut the line down to two books, Uncanny and Adjectivless and limited all of the spin-offs, as well as avoided giving solos to every character, the X-Men would be legitimate hits again, but why would Marvel do that when they have multiple moderate hits? Just my thoughts though.
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

Don't forget Moon Girl. That series pretty much exists ENTIRELY on the strength of its digital sales.
    Well remembered another good example of good return on digital sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    but you said Ms Marvel's return alongside Iceman. Ms. Marvel didnt get cancelled to get a return. Its still ongoing
    Right?
    Oops thinking right now I should have explained better my fault guys.

I think Exiles would have gone better with a fully mutant cast and without the chibi Wolverine.
    Last edited by Knives; 07-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    yeah, you can find them in groceries, book stores and convenience stores. I doubt they contribute a signficiant amount
    Book stores I'll cop to, even with their limited, minimalist selections. But the others, I haven't witnessed myself, in a very, VERY long time. The IDK before, was more in reference to the ComiXology assertion, anyway. Apples to oranges, IMO, too many variables.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    ... Oops thinking right now I should have explained better my fault guys. ...
    No prob, I kinda see what you were sayin' now. They weren't supposed to be in conjunction with each other, when it comes to returning. Think Bobby's was more about the TPB performance of his first volume, besides. Not that digital wasn't a factor there, too. Which would make sense also, all things considered.

Also, Moon Girl survives cause the book has a deal with Scholastic. Same with Squirel Girl
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

I’m really confident that once Disney gets X-men rights back we will see more of the top talent be put on x books. Time will tell.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Red is following a similar path/sales trajectory as Astonishing. It will fall off the radar once the new books are announced.
    Astonishing seems to be stabilizing just under blue which is not bad. Certainly not off the radar.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

When will digital sales count?

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    x-men #1 sold a million copies. there was 1 team at the time
    That was in the 90s when people actually went to the store to buy newspapers. Different times back then.

But .... do you have a source for that? That's a crazy number ...

Anyways these figures can't be surprising for Marvel considering they shafted the franchise in favor of the Avengers.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 07-09-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Lol @ the much touted Wedding issue failing to crack 100K or even 90K (though I suspect if it had just been promoted as a Rogue/Gambit wedding from the start instead of Kitty/Colossus, retailers would have ordered more copies).

Yeah, it looks bad for ALL comics. But it's nothin' new, same month last year, 46 comics sold above 40k. Two years ago, in June of 2016, 61 were above the new threshold of 40k. To lil' surprise, they seem to be suffering the same fate as newspapers, magazines, and probably regular books. People must just not like to read anymore, unless it's on the internet. And even then, it's likely more about soundbites, than anything of consequence. Attention spans are at an all-time minimum, these days. And will just keep on getting shallower, it appears.
    Attention spans aren’t the problem. A Song of Ice and Fire is a publishing phenomenon, and the books in that series are enormously complex/require detailed attention to continuity. The TV adaptation is less complex, but still requires significant attention to detail. Hell, the MCU itself suggests an attention to continuity which is pretty unusual for a cinematic franchise.

The problem with the X-Men is not its complexity, although I have to say with the consistent relaunches, limited series, and inconsistent attitude to its own continuity it is a hell of a lot more confusing even than a franchise that is predominantly based on IP that is 30-50 plus years old has any right to be. The problem is that it’s tied to a publishing industry which is ideally geared towards squeezing the maximum amount of money out of an ageing and diminishing readership, and might have been specifically designed to be offputting to new readers. But we all know this If the franchise was handed over to someone with significant talent and a clear creative vision who started something fresh and interesting which was protected from relaunches and events. If it was released in a straightforward and easy to understand way which would enable someone to go into a bookshop and be bewildered by a profusion of trades. Then, it might be different.

If, in short, it wasn’t being published by Marvel in the late 2010s in the distribution model they have to the readership that they have under the corporate leadership that they have. If. If. If.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 07-09-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I’m really confident that once Disney gets X-men rights back we will see more of the top talent be put on x books. Time will tell.
    The problem is Marvel doesnt have any top talent anymore
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-