Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I said last night that Spencer, for all that I've had huge, huge problems with him and his writing in the past, will have me as a customer for life if he makes this stick. And I said that before knowing what was in the issue. So. If it's a trick, the book's dropped. But until then, he has my money.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Y'know, I seriously thought I was done with Spider-Man after Slott's run. There were a lot of great stories and Slott's last story seemed like the perfect end. I wasn't impressed with the previews of Spencer's run. Yeah, it seemed fun and cool, but hey, I had nearly 10 yrs. worth of fun and cool stories to keep me occupied. If it was more of the same, eh, you could have counted me out.

HOWEVER, I got the issue. Man, that was a great, GREAT issue! To keep it short, it has a lot of the elements of a good Spider-Man issue, while acknowledging the past, while having the hallmarks of Spencer's writing (deep emotional moments, sucker punch moments during the deep emotional moments, and fantastic villain characterization). So yeah, holy crap, I'll continue to read this series.

As for the big reveal, c'mon, we all know this won't last, right? Now, I know there will be some cool moments and storytelling elements. I'm all for it as well. But seriously, how many times have writers teased this?

In any case, okay Marvel, I'll play along .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As for the big reveal, c'mon, we all know this won't last, right?
    It's lasted 31 years everywhere else mate

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Y'know, I seriously thought I was done with Spider-Man after Slott's run. There were a lot of great stories and Slott's last story seemed like the perfect end. I wasn't impressed with the previews of Spencer's run. Yeah, it seemed fun and cool, but hey, I had nearly 10 yrs. worth of fun and cool stories to keep me occupied. If it was more of the same, eh, you could have counted me out.

HOWEVER, I got the issue. Man, that was a great, GREAT issue! To keep it short, it has a lot of the elements of a good Spider-Man issue, while acknowledging the past, while having the hallmarks of Spencer's writing (deep emotional moments, sucker punch moments during the deep emotional moments, and fantastic villain characterization). So yeah, holy crap, I'll continue to read this series.

As for the big reveal, c'mon, we all know this won't last, right? Now, I know there will be some cool moments and storytelling elements. I'm all for it as well. But seriously, how many times have writers teased this?

In any case, okay Marvel, I'll play along .
    Of course it won't last. And then another writer will come along and try it again. That's the secret to comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's lasted 31 years everywhere else mate
    Ha understood. As I mentioned, I'm very much for the return, especially after seeing the scenes b/w Pete and MJ throughout the issue. However, will Marvel really go through with it? That's what I was getting at. Part of me feels that readers are going to be strung along, have their hopes high, only to have Pete and MJ have a "sorry, you know this won't work, right?" moment afterwards. There have been a lot of teases like this throughout the last 10 or so yrs..

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe the biggest swerve is the one the fans do see coming? Again, cautiously optimistic.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I'm at a loss for words...

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'm at a loss for words...

BANNED

I am surprised that dr Conner is here given where slott left him and his cloned family. Wonder how peter will feel working for his degree under Conners especially after what he did to Billy.

I thought the book was fantastic. Hit all the right notes, and came bearing gifts on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    A man instead of a manchild.
    THIS!

Here Spencer has Peter accept responsibility for a scandal and a problem that Slott just sort of handwaved. Writing characters out of character to serve his plots (I realize the irony of comparing Slott to Spencer in this way, but you can see how circumstances are different). Takes me back to the idea that this Peter still isn't the real original Peter. Didn't that one die in Ock's body post mind-swap? Seriously though, I hated Slott handwaving away his inconsistencies in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    The only thing left to go back to basics is for Jameson to forget Peter's secret and go back to bashing Spider Man.
    I actually like JJJ knowing. We can't wind everything back.

Man, I loved absolutely everything about this. I love how Peter's fall from grace didn't feel cheap, everything felt justified. I do wish we could've seen exactly why the heroes hate Spider-Man now outside of Kingpin "seeding distrust", but this issue already has so much, and we'll probably find out more about that later. I was afraid the story was gonna be a complete reset that just does its own thing, but nope there is alot of callbacks and loose plot threads being picked up here (and oddly enough no editor notes too). Ottley's art and the colouring is fantastic, Spencer's writing is great as always, I knew from Captain America he's good at weaving a story, but the dialogue also stood out. Extra points to "My sexy chair..."

And of course, that ending. No matter what this ends up leading to, at least its something

Also, regarding that Mysterio ending, I think I have a feeling about what's going on, but I don't know alot about his history, so if anyone else knows exactly what that is about, I would be happy to hear about it.

That was amazing(no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Man, I loved absolutely everything about this. I love how Peter's fall from grace didn't feel cheap, everything felt justified. I do wish we could've seen exactly why the heroes hate Spider-Man now outside of Kingpin "seeding distrust", but this issue already has so much, and we'll probably find out more about that later. I was afraid the story was gonna be a complete reset that just does its own thing, but nope there is alot of callbacks and loose plot threads being picked up here (and oddly enough no editor notes too). Ottley's art and the colouring is fantastic, Spencer's writing is great as always, I knew from Captain America he's good at weaving a story, but the dialogue also stood out. Extra points to "My sexy chair..."

And of course, that ending. No matter what this ends up leading to, at least its something

Also, regarding that Mysterio ending, I think I have a feeling about what's going on, but I don't know alot about his history, so if anyone else knows exactly what that is about, I would be happy to hear about it.
    About Mysterio. If this is what I think it is, I would suggest reading Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man run. Particularly issues #11-13.

Wow, just wow! I'm really shocked by just how good this issue was. I seriously take back any doubt I had about Spencer.
    Last edited by Nerdman3000; 07-11-2018 at 08:17 AM.

I wonder what will happen with Teresa and JJJ, if they're joining the ASM cast, or will remain exclusively on PPSSM.

Absolutely loved it! Cannot wait for the next issue.

Spencer & Ottley made a great team!