Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

H&M apologizes for using a black child in a 'racist' sweatshirt ad, pulls product from website and stores. Gee, it only took eight days into the New Year...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That was a just a rumor. The rumor was that they were going to rename Miles' version of Spider Man to Spy-D as if he were a rapper
    in the mid 80's or something.

Even the article where the rumor appeared stated it was a rumor.
    Well I got riled for nothing, not for the first time. I hope it stays that way but as I've mentioned if Marvel were to change Miles' at least put some effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I didn't want to say it but, this definitely feels like the reason.

In Marvel's new Exiles book the fifth member was revealed to be Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie and she's queer.
    https://www.newsarama.com/38088-thor...-universe.html
    I don't like being that guy either but it's been bugging me for a bit. Figured it was only a matter of time before MCU Valkyrie was adapted into the main universe. I already had a passing interest in Exiles so I guess I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    It makes me extremely happy that I got Stan to sign the Miles Hip Hop variant which he even commented on that he liked the cover and Miles but what does his old ass know? Still wish Marvel would have greenlit a Spider-Men ongoing but maybe given how surprise titles are getting announced
    I feel that a Spider-Men ongoing would've been good for Miles' exposure. Toss in a bit Miles' support cast and Peter's, do some Spider humor, maybe a guest appearance by a little used character.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    So much truth in this one paragraph, it's because Miles is the biggest contender to possibly being as popular as his classic counterpart, which is also probably top 3 most popular superhero in today's society. So whenever I see comments like "venom blast is a one hit wonder." What that tells me is that mostly just want Miles to lose, because anyone who reads the comics know he's been getting knocked out like almost every issue, and yet that still isn't enough for these folks.

Just know black heroes aren't supposed to be good at stuff peeps, *cough* finn *cough*
    Been holding all that in for a bit but the whole thing is silly. The popularity of Miles won't bury Peter. Peter will always be the Spider-Man for many people but as I said you can like many Spider-People, hell I'm reading/catching up on Miles' solo, Peter's, Silk's and Spider Gwen's. Now people making complaints about Miles' book without having read is not surprising, I'm sure any Black Panther fan can relate. Of course if they actually took the time to read it their complaints would be invalidated so their definitely not going to do that. On the subject of Miles losing I remember when Ultimate Peter was revived and stole Miles' new webshooters the unfans went wild. Who the hell cheers for the hero to lose?
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    So much truth in this one paragraph, it's because Miles is the biggest contender to possibly being as popular as his classic counterpart, which is also probably top 3 most popular superhero in today's society. So whenever I see comments like "venom blast is a one hit wonder." What that tells me is that mostly just want Miles to lose, because anyone who reads the comics know he's been getting knocked out like almost every issue, and yet that still isn't enough for these folks.

Just know black heroes aren't supposed to be good at stuff peeps, *cough* finn *cough*

I noticed a lot around Miles’ first volume that many posters who complained brought up a lot that things came too easy for him and often used this phrase “he hasn’t struggled enough” and really focused in n how he hasn’t “suffered” which is really frightening when you think about it before realizing that it falls on the opposite end of the belief that Marvel is “shoving things down their throats” which is really sexually charged when you think about it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Well I got riled for nothing, not for the first time. I hope it stays that way but as I've mentioned if Marvel were to change Miles' at least put some effort into it.

I don't like being that guy either but it's been bugging me for a bit. Figured it was only a matter of time before MCU Valkyrie was adapted into the main universe. I already had a passing interest in Exiles so I guess I'll give it a try.

I feel that a Spider-Men ongoing would've been good for Miles' exposure. Toss in a bit Miles' support cast and Peter's, do some Spider humor, maybe a guest appearance by a little used character.

Been holding all that in for a bit but the whole thing is silly. The popularity of Miles won't bury Peter. Peter will always be the Spider-Man for many people but as I said you can like many Spider-People, hell I'm reading/catching up on Miles' solo, Peter's, Silk's and Spider Gwen's. Now people making complaints about Miles' book without having read is not surprising, I'm sure any Black Panther fan can relate. Of course if they actually took the time to read it their complaints would be invalidated so their definitely not going to do that. On the subject of Miles losing I remember when Ultimate Peter was revived and stole Miles' new webshooters the unfans went wild. Who the hell cheers for the hero to lose?

I remember that, they even said Miles stole Peter’s web shooters when at the end of that first volume he was given a pair from Nick Fury, posters ignored that because it didn’t fit the “Miles wronged Peter so he must get his comeuppance” narrative.

Peter literally broke into Jefferson’s apartment, knocked Miles out and robbed him and posters where like “GO PETER GO!”

Only thing missing was some old white Lady saying Peter seemed so nice

I noticed a lot around Miles’ first volume that many posters who complained brought up a lot that things came too easy for him and often used this phrase “he hasn’t struggled enough” and really focused in n how he hasn’t “suffered” which is really frightening when you think about it before realizing that it falls on the opposite end of the belief that Marvel is “shoving things down their throats” which is really sexually charged when you think about it
    Their a very large white ( a few black writers/fans) writer & fans who love nothing more and seeing a black hero struggle and suffer and intensely and aggressively..

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I didn't want to say it but, this definitely feels like the reason.

In Marvel's new Exiles book the fifth member was revealed to be Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie and she's queer.
    https://www.newsarama.com/38088-thor...-universe.html
    While that cool, more importantly Marvel finally got a writer that remembered the Blink is black/African by the way of the west Indians & not to be surprised a good amount of fans are upset about this LOL...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Their a very large white ( a few black writers/fans) writer & fans who love nothing more and seeing a black hero struggle and suffer and intensely and aggressively..

Which is weird as of course white heroes don’t have to struggle and get a pass to be the white male power fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    While that cool, more importantly Marvel finally got a writer that remembered the Blink is black/African by the way of the west Indians & not to be surprised a good amount of fans are upset about this LOL...

Some fans, “Marvel done tricked me into liking a black character!”

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Ollie 1962 View Post
    H&M apologizes for using a black child in a 'racist' sweatshirt ad, pulls product from website and stores. Gee, it only took eight days into the New Year...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartanntp
    They didn't even have to do all that or rather they wouldn't have had to take this product off the shelves if they had been just a tad bit more perceptive and just had a white child in the advertisement for the shirt.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

So any word on that "Cloak And Dagger" tv show?

Mighty Member

Which is weird as of course white heroes don’t have to struggle and get a pass to be the white male power fantasy
    Peter Parker lost his uncle and first love, put up with demonization of his alter-ego by JJJ for decades, was buried alive, had his eye gouged out, sold his marriage, Norman Osborn PERIOD, got pregnant with himself, etc., etc......
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    They didn't even have to do all that or rather they wouldn't have had to take this product off the shelves if they had been just a tad bit more perceptive and just had a white child in the advertisement for the shirt.
    Yeah but if you go outside and see black kids with monkey this or that on their clothes-you wouldn't think anything of it.

And I think that is what his mother is saying-why is this a big deal?

Me I wouldn't have used him in that shirt because this reaction would be the result. Because this topic has been an issue before.

I remember that, they even said Miles stole Peter’s web shooters when at the end of that first volume he was given a pair from Nick Fury, posters ignored that because it didn’t fit the “Miles wronged Peter so he must get his comeuppance” narrative.

Peter literally broke into Jefferson’s apartment, knocked Miles out and robbed him and posters where like “GO PETER GO!”

Only thing missing was some old white Lady saying Peter seemed so nice
    Yeah that was crazy though to this day I say that bringing Peter back was a mistake. I wonder how people would've felt if the roles were reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Peter Parker lost his uncle and first love, put up with demonization of his alter-ego by JJJ for decades, was buried alive, had his eye gouged out, sold his marriage, Norman Osborn PERIOD, got pregnant with himself, etc., etc......
    Yes terrible things happen to heroes it's part of the job. However there is a difference being that and some readers praying for a snuff comic.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post

Yes terrible things happen to heroes it's part of the job. However there is a difference being that and some readers praying for a snuff comic.
    Fair enough (plus Miles's history hasn't quite reached omnibus length yet). Though whatever you do, don't tempt fanfic writers.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-10-2018 at 04:04 PM.

BANNED

Peter also got to marry a fashion model/tv star and then both before that and after got his pick of female characters to date and sleep with, have multiple series, get to be on any team, have a villain start a Fortune 500 business for him and gets to be one of the big Marvel brains with no questions.

As I said white male fantasy and I say this as a Spidey fan

Fair enough (plus Miles's history hasn't quite reached omnibus length yet). Though whatever you do, don't tempt fanfic writers.
    His history has actually

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yeah but if you go outside and see black kids with monkey this or that on their clothes-you wouldn't think anything of it.

And I think that is what his mother is saying-why is this a big deal?

Me I wouldn't have used him in that shirt because this reaction would be the result. Because this topic has been an issue before.
    I have never seen any black person or their children in clothing that refers to them as a monkey tho and obviously where I live is gonna inform what I say next but, there are black people who won't even eat watermelon or fried chicken in front of white people b/c of the racist stereotypes, so I while I have no problem believing that black parents would buy that sweatshirt b/c they think it's cute or whatever, I think they would buy it for their child to wear indoors away from the eyes of white people.

As for the mother, I read her dismissive statement and then saw she was a Kenyan who lives in Sweden and my first thought was "this is expected" b/c as black Americans will quickly learn, black people outside the US think Black Americans complain/whine/cry too much about everything and so I automatically disregarded her opinion.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer